Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Passenger seat slider flip - Is this the correct YJ to lower the riser w/ slider?

5K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  DV915 
#1 ·
I'm trying to track down the 91-95 riser/slider combo to swap out on my rig. I heard that the 91-95 specifically had the correct set-up and I'm not sure if the one I found is correct.

Did 87-90 YJs have a slider on the passenger? If not, this one should be the one. The slider mechanism appears correct.

The problem I have is that the seller doesn't know the year. Maybe a measurement? Best spot to do so?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you. I'm trying to get a height dimension from the seller from the front frames to the top of the slider when flush, hopefully that will tell more. He has a stock of them and didn't have the year of the Jeeps they pulled them from.

Appreciate the 'everything looks right'.

#6 ·
........ this one should be the one. The slider mechanism appears correct.
You cant go by slider as the sliders can be bolted onto the taller risers (by the previous owner)

Most don't realize that there are several different risers and sliders spanning the 76 to 95 CJ and YJ models with most of the changes in the YJ years.

I just looked at my lower YJ risers (lower to offset the slider height) and the one you have pictured does look like the lower passenger riser.

As a side note, you will lose a little bit of space to get in the rear when the seat is folded forward as the lower riser doesn't fold as far forward.

#8 ·
the one you have pictured at the top is the lower 91 to 95 riser. Is that the picture from the seller?? If not I can give you measurements from both the non slider and slider ones.

If the slider comes with it, try to get the matching drivers side slider. I did that in mine and the later sliders/levers are so much nicer than the CJ drivers slider.

#9 ·
the one you have pictured at the top is the lower 91 to 95 riser. Is that the picture from the seller?? If not I can give you measurements from both the non slider and slider ones.

If the slider comes with it, try to get the matching drivers side slider. I did that in mine and the later sliders/levers are so much nicer than the CJ drivers slider.
I received pictures from the seller. Didn't do the best in giving me measurements, but hopefully 4 pictures help.

Attachments

#15 ·
OK, about to drop some knowledge here....
There are at least 9 different risers and 3 different sliders used under at least two different seat base sizes in the 76 to 95 CJs and YJs. Here is a quick breakdown highlighting the main differences.

Jeep seat risers: domestic / left side driver position

Driver:
*CJ fixed large Z shaped brackets

*CJ folding with release handle forward of the pivot and pushes down

*YJ folding with release handle rearward of pivot and pulls up

*YJ fixed stamped and formed brackets

All drivers side are lower and use a slider
with 11" spaced holes
All have slider mount surface extending away on each side. (Seat is centered over the bracket)except the later fixed YJ stamped which offsets the seat inward.

Passenger:
+CJ tall with release handle forward of pivot and pushes down. 12.5" spaced seat holes

*YJ tall with handle forward and pulls up
Seat offset outward /to the right. 12.5" seat holes.

*YJ tall with handle rearward and pulls up
Seat is offset outward/to the right. 12.5" seat holes.

*YJ low with handle rear and pulls up
Seat offset outward / to the right. 11" slider holes

*YJ low with handle rear and pulls up
Seat offset is inward/ to the left and 11" slider holes with nuts welded in

SLIDERS:

CJ drivers side. Side lever and cross cable. Used a rear cross bar and spacers
11" apart studs on riser side, 12.5" seat holes

YJ offset adjusting bar (1 mounting hole) 11" apart studs on riser side, 12.5" apart holes on seat side with built in seat spacers

YJ centered adjusting bar (has 2 catch holes) , 11" holes for riser, 14" holes for seat

Seats: non reclining or the older fixed high backs have 12.5" spaced mounting holes and the later reclining seats used 91 to 95 have holes spaced 14" apart (front to rear).

So what does all this mean?

Drivers will always have sliders to adjust for leg length to reach the pedals. easy enough and the height of the riser and sliders are constant. With the CJs not using a slider on the passenger side, the riser needed to be higher so the seat height would match the drivers side. This continued into the YJ until the passenger needed to have a slider as well. The riser height decreased the height of the slider. Side note, the lower riser doesn't not fold forward as far as the taller one so your rear seat entry space is slightly decreased. The seats during this time used spacers to compensate for the material folding under the seat and getting in the way of the sliders.

The next change happened in 91 when the reclining seat needed to clear the roll bar so the risers offset changed and the sliders seat side bolt pattern changed.

This leaves the possibility of a lot of mix n match. and the possibility of stuff not to work or fit right together.

UW91, the pictures you show from the seller match a late YJ lower riser with offset for reclining seats. This may or may not work for you due to how its configured and or how much you want to modify things. Of the 2 lower risers, that one has welded in nuts for the riser. The riser without studs is the one for the reclining seat and the whole thing is off set inward. So if your using different sliders, they may not fit or if your using the CJ style seat (12.5" mounts). they may not fit the sliders. PLUS, the seat may be shifted inward an if you have a wide console, there could be fitment issues there as well. (the YJ console was the same as the CJ one up till 91 when the wider reclining seats also got a narrower and redesigned center console.

I would use the first or earlier YJ lower riser and use the matching sliders on both seats.

The one pictured could still work, but you may need to cut/grind out the welded in nuts to use the older sliders to fit the older seats OR you could drill new holes in the 14" sliders to match the 12.5" seats. Offset may be an issue. I checked both CJ and later YJ tubs and both seem to have the riser mount in the same place on the passenger side at about 8.75" away from the side

Reactions: Axhammer
#16 ·
OK, about to drop some knowledge here....
Excellent write up. Copied and pasted into word doc for later reference. With the obvious exception of rear seat info, the only thing I can think of that is not covered is the relatively rare CJ-7 split front bench seat brackets.

Attachments

#17 ·
Correct. I purposely left out the split bench as I don't have one to measure and compare and as you said, it is rare so its dealt with on its own.

Ive swapped a few of the 85 to 95 fold n tumble rear seats into the 84 and back CJs, and even in those applications, there are differences in the CJ vs YJ seats and lever direction and operation.

But really though, its about sharing knowledge. I hate it when someone needs an answer and the info is only half correct or opens the door for other issues.

NOT this thread, but Ive seen folks ask about one seat being much higher or lower than the other after a slider addition and "just get one from a YJ may not be the full answer.Their frustration grows and there is no EASY button in sight. Again, just an example...not taking about this thread.

I would post pictures of all of this but ever since Photobucket showed its azz, I have not been inspired. Whats a good free picture hosting place?

Reactions: schardein
#19 ·
So is it better to get the one that is shifted to the left with the nuts, remove the nuts, and be good (I have half doors) or do I stay away from that?

EDIT: I have the stock flip-up center console, so I image the shift inward is no issue. The riser comes with a slider.

I guess, if all things considered stock, which is the best option for someone with half doors and the smaller flip up center?

This is fun... haha... not.

#20 ·
So is it better to get the one that is shifted to the left with the nuts, remove the nuts, and be good (I have half doors) or do I stay away from that?

EDIT: I have the stock flip-up center console, so I image the shift inward is no issue. The riser comes with a slider.

I guess, if all things considered stock, which is the best option for someone with half doors and the smaller flip up center?

This is fun... haha... not.
All i can tell you, is that when i did mine, the result was the seat had the same footprint as before. The height of the new (riser + slider) = original riser height. i used the same seat (drill and Tap new mount holes).so the seat would have no interference with doors if you have none before.

#21 ·
For those who have the CJ brackets were both seats flip forward and your driver side seat is tilted back more then the passenger. There should be two spacers, like around a 3/8" thick washer on the back two bolts between the slider and the seat. At least that is what mine had, they were the original seats according to the fender tag and the way they were rusted on the bottom of the seat they had been on there a very long time. i want to say i read on a forum somewhere that they should be there but i can't find it now and i might be wrong. When i swapped in the Cavalier seats i didn't use the spacers and the drivers side tilted back. Put the spacers back in and it sits even with the passenger side.... If it came from the factory like that? I dunno...

#22 ·
On the late CJs at least ...
4 spacers and a rear cross bar between the seat and slider.

If your seat is tilted back further than the passenger is probably because the seats internal framework is bent causing it to lean back

#23 ·
I pulled the trigger on the later one and drilled new holes on the slider. Seemed to do the trick and now the seats match up very nicely. The only problem I have is that the slider sticks like a mother and I think it's because there may be some slight twisting in the frame. I don't plan on moving it from the current position but it would be nice to have it slide a bit smoother.

And you were quite correct, this does push the seats over. I had to work the seat belt in between the seat and the console. I like it, however, it's a great height and should do the trick.

Attachments

#25 ·
Wow, very interesting reading. Thank you everyone for your info.

The OP said his source has multiple of these YJ flip forward brackets. Any chance you can pass the info on? I'm wanting the lower bracket so I can have mine flip forward again - I'm using the Corbeau mounts, which are solid mounting.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Thanks to the forum members who provided information on the drivers side YJ seat base and slider into a CJ. I purchased a used YJ base and slider off Ebay and installed it into my CJ-7. It moves the seat inboard approximately 1.5 inches allowing easier access to the door latch and seat belt shoulder strap. I was always having trouble retracting my shoulder belt because it would get stuck between the seat back and the door jam. Now there is plenty of space.
Once again more valuable information learned from this forum.

Ebay photo and refurbished install photo.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.