passenger seat higher WITHOUT slider? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-06-2020, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
bicyclemonkey
1984 CJ7 

passenger seat higher WITHOUT slider?

I replaced the bestop seats in my '84 CJ7 with a set of original Renegade seats I had reupholstered. I noticed as they were sitting on the floor before I installed them that one seat back was lower than the other. I assumed the shorter was the driver seat since the driver seat has a slider and my passenger does not. I put the short seat on the driver side and the tall one on the passenger side, and what do you know, the driver seat is still shorter than the passenger seat. The seat bases are exactly the same height even after installation (as measured by where they are next to the center console). I really don't want to try swapping them just to find out since they were kind of a pain to install. I did find one post on a different site indicating that brand new, the driver seat was a tad shorter(link below). I can't find any info to back this up. I don't remember ever noticing my '83 CJ5 having different size, but that was a long time ago.

https://www.cj-8.com/threads/for-tho...er-seat.36375/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-06-2020, 12:36 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I had always thought/ assumed they were exactly the same?!?

I know many have swapped the drivers seat to the passenger side (due to wear) and I've never heard of this issue?

So are you saying the physicall proportions are lower on one than the other? Is it possible the base is holding them at a different angle, making one side look higher than the other, but that the seats are physically the same?

Where the renegade seats original to your Jeep?

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #3 of 3 Old 06-06-2020, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
bicyclemonkey
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
I had always thought/ assumed they were exactly the same?!?

I know many have swapped the drivers seat to the passenger side (due to wear) and I've never heard of this issue?

So are you saying the physicall proportions are lower on one than the other? Is it possible the base is holding them at a different angle, making one side look higher than the other, but that the seats are physically the same?

Where the renegade seats original to your Jeep?

Hoss
My Jeep came with the Besttop seats and they sat too high so I sourced out a set of original CJ7 seats locally. They came with the original seat mounting brackets or base, whatever you call them. They match the ones my Bestop seats are sitting on.

So, the actual dimension of one seat back is shorter than the other. Sitting flat on the floor without the seat bracket, the base of both seats are the same height and not warped, it's just that one back is shorter.

I even reused the spacers on the driver sliding mechanism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in