Partial cover for CJ with hardtop - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 10-17-2021, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

1985 CJ7 

Partial cover for CJ with hardtop

Anyone have one of these and which brand? I have a full cover which can be a big PITA to put on and take off. I’ve seen those small ones that just cover the top and windshield; perfect for the infamous leaking windshield/cowl issue. Otherwise it’s off to buy just a simply smaller tarp. Getting ready for when the rains come.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-17-2021, 09:10 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
It took me until 15 years ago to find this cover.

I've always had to freeze or get wet when I had to work on one.

The empty spot is for the wifes rig, but EZily converted into room to work on Mr. Jeep.

My little propane jet like heater keeps me cozy when needed.

PIC BELOW

Not trying to be smart or nothing.

Here's a similar option I used in the past.

This particular one is a about a foot too short for my CJ-5 and CJ-2A

A foot sticking out the front still keeps you dry in the main body!

Price is right---no put it on/ take it off involved.

There are larger ones for more $$$-----I'm shooting you an example----Google "Cheap Greenhouses" click on "Images"

https://www.amazon.com/FDW-Greenhous...a-901724130420

----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
STEAL HER SIDE WHILE SHE IS AT WORK NO TAG.jpg  
post #3 of 25 Old 10-17-2021, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

1985 CJ7 

Appreciate the response but that’s not what I’m looking for. I’m looking for something more along the line of what’s pictured. Only difference is I need it to cover the hood vent and luggage rack and bars. So wanting something that will accommodate that. I can probably buy a small tarp for now but was hoping something was out there that was more fitting. Would be nice to cover a Jeep that has those additional elements without involving covering the entire Jeep. Heck, maybe the cover shown will do? Doesn’t have to be perfect. Just trying to eliminate excess water from traveling into the cab floor this season. Trying to prepared before it’s too late! Thanks anyway.
Attached Images

post #4 of 25 Old 10-17-2021, 10:38 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
$70 Bucks

https://www.quadratec.com/products/1...xoCNasQAvD_BwE

It appears that it leaves the front drivers side fender uncovered??

-----JEEPFELLER
post #5 of 25 Old 10-17-2021, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

1985 CJ7 

I have a full cover that is custom fit for side mirrors and has a viewing window for the license plate which also accommodates the roof rack and bars. Very similar to what you sent me. It’s a chore getting it on and off. I’m just looking for something that is about 5’ wide and maybe 7’ in width that bungie ties to cover windshield and hood vent. I guess a cheap tarp will do but was hoping maybe something more custom was out there?
post #6 of 25 Old 10-18-2021, 05:35 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

The only partial cover I know of are the Trail Covers. I have one for emergencies when rain is a coming and I can't get home fast enough. Had to use it a several occasions in the past and great to have with me when parking somewhere either at car shows or an otherwise scrupulous area.

Made by Rain Gear @ https://www.raingearcovers.com/ They might have something you are looking for on other jeep models.

Name:  raingear01.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  128.5 KB

b9f330_b3a06113774047b3a8c78948fb034e4f-mv2_d_4160_3120_s_4_2.jpg
258 likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #7 of 25 Old 10-18-2021, 09:17 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Google is your friend. Ask Google to find a business that makes custom boat covers in your area. Take the above pictures with you so they have an idea of what you want. May not be cheap but will be far cheaper than JEEPFELLER's first suggestion.

If your hood vent is filling up take the grill off and clean out the leaves and open the drain hose.
John Strenk and JoonHoss like this.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #8 of 25 Old 10-18-2021, 10:43 AM
robblue6412

1980 CJ7 

Garage
One option for the cowl is to make a cover from a sheet of plastic, with foam weatherstripping around the perimeter. I know this isn't a mustang forum, but here is a link for what I am referring to. https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-class...oaAtnPEALw_wcB

I think something very similar could be easily made to fit a CJ. There are spring-loaded knobs on this one which have pins that you press in between the cowl cover slats, then spin 90 degrees to hold the cover in place. With a little ingenuity I think something like this could be made in an hour's time. Just remove before driving, and it keeps all the rain, snow, and debris out of your cowl area.

If you're just looking to keep debris out and your Jeep is indoors during the really nasty weather you can try something like this screen I painted and placed under the cowl vent:

Anyway, not a full cover solution like you are asking for, but if you can only find the cab cover, this might help save your cowl.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0850.jpg   IMG_0851.jpg  

Rob
1980 CJ7 304/4sp
post #9 of 25 Old 10-18-2021, 11:02 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robblue6412 View Post
.... I know this isn't a mustang forum,....
Well it could still be a CJ. Just a Cobra Jet....
bob4703 and robblue6412 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #10 of 25 Old 10-18-2021, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

1985 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by robblue6412 View Post
One option for the cowl is to make a cover from a sheet of plastic, with foam weatherstripping around the perimeter. I know this isn't a mustang forum, but here is a link for what I am referring to. https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-class...oaAtnPEALw_wcB

I think something very similar could be easily made to fit a CJ. There are spring-loaded knobs on this one which have pins that you press in between the cowl cover slats, then spin 90 degrees to hold the cover in place. With a little ingenuity I think something like this could be made in an hour's time. Just remove before driving, and it keeps all the rain, snow, and debris out of your cowl area.

If you're just looking to keep debris out and your Jeep is indoors during the really nasty weather you can try something like this screen I painted and placed under the cowl vent:

Anyway, not a full cover solution like you are asking for, but if you can only find the cab cover, this might help save your cowl.

I have my grill set up like yours, with a screen inside. It's not leaves I'm worried about but that notorious water leakage these CJ's seem to inherit. I have tried tracking it down to no avail so for now I simply want to cover it until I can look further into where this is coming from. When it rains, I get water not only on floors but it goes onto my stereo so around winter, I pull the stereo out every day. That gets old.

I never thought of a boat place. Good idea!
post #11 of 25 Old 10-18-2021, 02:53 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You could get a sheet made out of magnetic material and just slap it over the grill. You can cut it to size.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Shee...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #12 of 25 Old 10-18-2021, 03:26 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 258 View Post
Anyone have one of these and which brand? I have a full cover which can be a big PITA to put on and take off. Iíve seen those small ones that just cover the top and windshield; perfect for the infamous leaking windshield/cowl issue. Otherwise itís off to buy just a simply smaller tarp. Getting ready for when the rains come.
If you decide to go tarp, check out the Harbor Freight 'drawstring tarp'. I use on one my YJ and CJ2A

The draw rope is exposed at the 4 corners, I loop it over the mirrors and the tail lights, then pull the rope snug.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...wstring%20tarp

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #13 of 25 Old 10-18-2021, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

1985 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
If you decide to go tarp, check out the Harbor Freight 'drawstring tarp'. I use on one my YJ and CJ2A

The draw rope is exposed at the 4 corners, I loop it over the mirrors and the tail lights, then pull the rope snug.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...wstring%20tarp
Thanks, I just checked it out. I may go this route so that I cover the windshield as well. My plan is to cover both windshield and hood cowl vent to see which one the leak is drawing from. I may get the magnetic sheet as well that JS mentions to hold the tarp down so that it doesn't fly up from any wind. Thanks!
post #14 of 25 Old 10-18-2021, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

1985 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
You could get a sheet made out of magnetic material and just slap it over the grill. You can cut it to size.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Shee...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Thanks JS, I may get in addition to hold the tarp down. Good idea!
post #15 of 25 Old 10-19-2021, 08:29 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

I'm a little lost here. It may be all y'all are talking about the box leaking on the modern CJs. In my old style 74 the box opens into the cab behind the dash and if it leaked it would leak on your passenger's feet and not your stereo. If my windshield isn't locked down tight it leaks behind the dash. Perhaps the WS gasket needs changing. The box on mine has a bicycle sized (inner) tube that drains water through the firewall. Until I put some screening on top I'd have to clean it out every year when I scraped the rotten leaves out of the box. I haven't had to do it with the screening.

It is starting to get chilly now so when i drive mine today I'll reach up under the dash and close the fresh air door. I'm missing some ducts and cables. Then I'll raise the hood and open the ball valve to turn on the hot water to the heater coil.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in