3Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt1981CJ7
  • 2 Post By rumb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-28-2021, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
waltonwj

1980 CJ5 

Painting a 1980 CJ5 Windshield frame

My existing frame has a lot of internal rust, and I noticed that it’s angle has changed. I ordered a replacement, and wanna paint it before swapping all the parts over. I picked up a few spray cans of touch up paint- they aren’t close enough to the original color. The code is OE: Dark Green Metallic.

My questions:
One of the best things about my Jeep is the patina, but I think there are enough spots of original color to want to match to the factory code. However, I’m curious if it’s best practice to find a color that’s a bit faded to try to match the Jeep. Thoughts?

Where do y’all buy automotive paint? I was hoping to use spray cans and avoid borrowing or buying a spray gun, but I’d love to hear y’all’s thoughts on that.

How much paint would y’all think a CJ windshield frame would take?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-28-2021, 03:03 PM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

I'm no auto painting expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

That said, I think it will be difficult to match the patina of the original paint with an off-the-shelf rattle can.

I could be wrong, but I've seen enough poorly done pho-patina paint jobs, by professionals, to know that I wouldn't want to attempt it with my limited painting skills.

Good luck,

Matt
STJP likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 09-28-2021, 04:55 PM
rumb
1985 CJ7 

A pint of base should do.
You can get a local paint shop to color match and compensate some for the fading.
HF sells decent cheap spray guns.

Or paint the frame black.
JoonHoss and bob4703 like this.

post #4 of 4 Old 10-01-2021, 12:37 PM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Find a color to match and then use a satin clear coat. Take something small off that's painted and try to match it.

Before late 73 all frames were black. My friend Charles has a November 1973 built 74 and his is black. The one I took and replaced off mine built in January 1974 was the original green.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in