Owwwww, why PO, why?! Dash speaker grill pain! - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 07-06-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Owwwww, why PO, why?! Dash speaker grill pain!

Just got my 'new' baby and am pulling things out that don't work or need some TLC and found this kick in the gut;

They couldn't have simply gone clean and mounted behind the grill? The speakers they put in were made for it. Sucks that I cannot keep that original look and need the grills in places to hide where the old grill dash was cut.

Side note: Does anybody know the best way to get the original radio section cut out? Yes, this seems a bit hypocritical, though the stereo will most always cover up the hole where it goes. I have a new digital media receiver (no CD) and need to slide that beauty in. The speakers, on the other hand, OWWWWWWW.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-06-2019, 01:34 PM
Axhammer

2017 JK Wrangler 

CJ-7 speakers are 5 1/4”, kinda a odd size. I had to order a set that fit correctly, twice now, once in 1986 and again in 2019, for two different Jeeps. Both times I ordered speakers, it cost more, and I had to wait for the speakers to be delivered. You can do it right, or you can do it cheap. Some seem to prefer cheap over correct, when correct cost twice as much. Put a new dash in and call it good, that’s what I’ll probably do just to get rid of a CEL hole so it looks like it should. I’ll mount my CEL somewhere other than in the middle of the CJ-7 metal dash. On second thought, since you are going to cut the radio hole out, just leave it like it is. Put the old speakers back on and call it good.

1985 CJ-7 258 Red paint Hardtop Steel doors “Time Traveler”
2017 JKU SAHARA Silver Black Hardtop
post #3 of 32 Old 07-06-2019, 01:56 PM
1985 CJ7 

WOW, that's depressing and mind blowing, lol. What a shame! . . . Rear mounting those speakers is the way to go.

I currently have Boston Acoustics (5 1/4") which sound amazing but sadly they no longer make this particular model. They were a direct flush rear mount fit with zero tweeter interference when installed. I purchased the POLK Marine 5 1/4"s (MM521) that will required a thin adapter (1/4") for a clean flush rear mount fit but those come with their own crossover's for each speaker as well and sound even more incredible and are weather proof.

I would try finding a new (USED) dash and start fresh or you can buy some time while searching for one by simply pop-riveting a square piece of sheet metal over that hole. Just round the corners so it matches the Jeep look, cut the exact hole you need and simply paint it black. You have nothing to lose since its already damaged.

post #4 of 32 Old 07-06-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
I'm getting a new set of 5 1/4" and I'm going to color match the grills as an accent. To now find a Garnet Metallic 3C spray can on the cheap.

The radio and speakers weren't working and I decided to simply trash the system and get the 6x9 wedges for the back. Once I get it all set up it should be pretty and hopefully there is something I can do to hide the pain that was put in on the dash.

How difficult are those panels to replace? I imagine it is quite a chunk of work, but seeing the bolts next to the speaker holes has me feeling it may not be as difficult as once imagined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
CJ-7 speakers are 5 1/4”, kinda a odd size. I had to order a set that fit correctly, twice now, once in 1986 and again in 2019, for two different Jeeps. Both times I ordered speakers, it cost more, and I had to wait for the speakers to be delivered. You can do it right, or you can do it cheap. Some seem to prefer cheap over correct, when correct cost twice as much. Put a new dash in and call it good, that’s what I’ll probably do just to get rid of a CEL hole so it looks like it should. I’ll mount my CEL somewhere other than in the middle of the CJ-7 metal dash. On second thought, since you are going to cut the radio hole out, just leave it like it is. Put the old speakers back on and call it good.
post #5 of 32 Old 07-06-2019, 02:14 PM
1985 CJ7 

Replacing the dash is not a difficult task. Involves; removing the dash pad if you own one, removing the large torque bolts you see in your photo and pulling the steering wheel off. All gauges are simply bolted to the back side of the dash and can be swamped easily to the new dash.
post #6 of 32 Old 07-06-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Ohhhhhhhh boy... that is trouble and nice to know. That's on my to-do list, but quite a ways down. I'm going to see how things turn out with my color match grill experiment and the JBLs I picked up. Dang I love these old rigs, so much easier to do your own work on a lot of the goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 258 View Post
Replacing the dash is not a difficult task. Involves; removing the dash pad if you own one, removing the large torque bolts you see in your photo and pulling the steering wheel off. All gauges are simply bolted to the back side of the dash and can be swamped easily to the new dash.
post #7 of 32 Old 07-06-2019, 03:41 PM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Owwwww, why PO, why?! Dash speaker grill pain!

You can always purchase new 5-/14” speakers from Hog Tunes. Above average in cost yes, but they fit without altercation. Supposedly they sound good too, according to people who own Harley Davison motorcycles that the speakers are made for.
I plan on purchasing these speakers as well, along with a small amp to power them.

It’s a shame the PO hacked your dash like that, but you can always get another one or buy a new one from a fabricator. Double D comes to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uw91 likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #8 of 32 Old 07-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

5 1/4 are a dime a dozen, go to sonic electronix or just do amazon. No matter what speaker you put in there its going to sound like crap, needs a rear baffle to make is sound right.
post #9 of 32 Old 07-06-2019, 05:11 PM
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

I read on here that TJ speakers are the same size so I installed one and a Retrosound radio for my “stereo” system. No cutting needed.
post #10 of 32 Old 07-06-2019, 07:07 PM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post
I read on here that TJ speakers are the same size so I installed one

That's true, and is what I am currently using in my dash's front two speakers and stock radio.
I had to make the mounting holes a little bit larger but not by much so they would fit right over the studs on a CJ dash. Got them out of a junkyard for next to nothing and they can be found on the roll bars sound bar on a TJ. And we have a foam baffle that encloses the speaker so the bass is a little bit better.
Attached Thumbnails
Speaker Thumb Nuts (1).jpg   Speakers (11).jpg   Speakers (10).jpg  
uw91 likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #11 of 32 Old 07-06-2019, 08:15 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I would so just replace that dash panel for a non cut up one

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
post #12 of 32 Old 07-06-2019, 08:22 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryseals View Post
No matter what speaker you put in there its going to sound like crap, needs a rear baffle to make is sound right.
Yes

I went with a set from Kicker.... bottom mount , separate tweeter and crossover module.
Trim ring cut down to hold baffle

Old pics but still shows the idea.

Watch out for the speakers with large magnets. Trimming of the parking brake bracket may be needed.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
post #13 of 32 Old 07-07-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
What do you have going on there with the backing of that speaker? I saw someone mention putting material behind the dash speakers to get the best sound... is this what they were talking about? (Or possibly you)

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post

post #14 of 32 Old 07-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Jeffncs

Garage
I see your speaker hole and raise you a speaker hole cutout l, an HOUR meter(!!) and the requisite “custom” light switches and horn button!!

I’m ripping the dash out and replacing every switch/wire/bolt. It’s on the list...
Attached Thumbnails
image_1562541262185.jpg  
MikeyDeezy and uw91 like this.

Professional Knucklehead
post #15 of 32 Old 07-07-2019, 06:40 PM
Rtracy2001
1985 CJ7 

The P.O. of my CJ7 cut out the dash for a single DIN receiver, but all of the receivers I ever tried were too deep (the defrost duct wouldn't fit if the radio was installed). So I gave up and patched the hole (welding in patch panel, Bondo, then primer, and paint). It looks much better now. I also added a "factory style check engine light. If I ever run a radio again, I'll get a radio console between the seats.

That said, If you are dead set on attempting to mount a DIN style receiver in the dash, check eBay first. There are a lot of dash panels on there for cheap with the radio hole chopped out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-CJ-76-...Condition=3000

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-CJ-76-...Condition=3000

There are also new options for about the same money.

If it were mine I would look around for either a good used panel or find a couple junkers with good speaker grilles and splice them in, but I realize that not everyone can splice them in easily.

You can see in the photos below, splicing in a patch was an ordeal, but turned out well.
Attached Thumbnails
20190308_155817.jpg   CEL fitted.jpg   Bondo 2.jpg  

Every 20 minute job is just one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in