One Man Tune-Up Strategies - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 06-24-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
CJ7Guy1
1984 CJ7 

One Man Tune-Up Strategies

1984 Jeep CJ-7 - I6 - super stock.

Anybody have a good One Man Tune-Up Strategy?

Meaning, the distributor is on the other side of the engine bay from where you can possibly shoot your timing light at the crank notch not to mention, you have to maintain a 1600 rpm.

Sounds like a stupid question but, I usually have flock of my sons around to help - damn those worthless children - don't they know they have to help me whenever I need them!!!

Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-24-2019, 06:19 PM
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

OK, school me here. Why are you setting the timing @ 1600RPM?

I would rather have a tool I don't need, than need a tool I don't have.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-24-2019, 07:38 PM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

1600 RPM? Why?

Regarding the timing light and setting the distributor, stand in front of the vehicle. You don't need to reach the bottom/base of the distributor, you can set it by holding on to the distributor cap. Loosen the holddown bolt just enough to be able to turn the distributor, but not so much that it turns due to the rotation of the motor.

"Johnny Cash, The Jeep in Black" Build Thread - Started 7 July, 2018

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Bad things happen to you because you're a dumba$$"
Red Foreman

post #4 of 19 Old 06-24-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
CJ7Guy1
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
OK, school me here. Why are you setting the timing @ 1600RPM?
Baseline.

This is from my hood.

And this is the link to Dale's site - specificaly, the tunning part.
https://gleebledorf.com/ignition.html

Patrick
post #5 of 19 Old 06-25-2019, 02:37 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

1600rpm is correct for setting the timing of Jeep engines with the Carter BBD Stepper Motor carb and smog control devices controlled by the MCU. I still think you need to discount and plug a vacuum line or two also, I forget.
But I use to turn the idle up with a screw driver until 1600rpm was achieved and then verified timing with a timing light and adjusted the distributor with the hold down screw slightly loose but enough to keep it in place. Might have used plastic jawed pliers to move the distributor back and forth until timing was achieved and then tightened down the clamping bolt.
One man job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #6 of 19 Old 06-25-2019, 07:12 AM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
1600rpm is correct for setting the timing of Jeep engines with the Carter BBD Stepper Motor carb and smog control devices controlled by the MCU. I still think you need to discount and plug a vacuum line or two also, I forget.
I believe the sticker (and the OP) but I’ve never seen such a high idle RPM in 40+ years of working on cars. And yes, there are a couple of vacuum lines to disconnect. Is there mechanical advance of those distributors? Never seen one without, but I’ve also never seen timing set at 1600 RPM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Red Foreman
post #7 of 19 Old 06-25-2019, 07:34 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yeah, I had to read the procedure several time to understand what is going on but basically you trying to override some computer controls by setting the timing at 1600 that you can't achieve at normal idle speed.

Maybe it has something to do with the knock sensor but one would think that the knock sensor is always adjusting the timing if it detects a knocking condition.
This is a real problem with old dried up knock sensors that will start detecting valve noise and other things.
trailhead2004 likes this.

post #8 of 19 Old 06-25-2019, 11:16 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhead2004 View Post
I believe the sticker (and the OP) but Ive never seen such a high idle RPM in 40+ years of working on cars. And yes, there are a couple of vacuum lines to disconnect. Is there mechanical advance of those distributors? Never seen one without, but Ive also never seen timing set at 1600 RPM.
The idle is not set to 1600 RPM. You rev the engine to 1600 to bypass the computer controls. You also are suppose disconnect the vac advance and plug the line, and unplug the 10"/4" vacuum switch before setting timing. See link.

http://gleebledorf.com/ignition.html

Matt

post #9 of 19 Old 06-25-2019, 11:30 AM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
The idle is not set to 1600 RPM. You rev the engine to 1600 to bypass the computer controls. You also are suppose disconnect the vac advance and plug the line, and unplug the 10"/4" vacuum switch before setting timing. See link.

http://gleebledorf.com/ignition.html

Matt
Semantics, but you're right, it's not idling at that point. I guess I've just not worked on cars of the time period where these type systems we prevalent.

And the vacuum line info is covered on items 1 and 2 on the left side of the sticker, at least that's where I saw it. The emissions sticker gives all the information you should need to perform the required setup and testing.

Basically, all of the information you need is there.
CJ7Guy1 likes this.

Red Foreman
post #10 of 19 Old 06-25-2019, 11:48 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

There's also an alternative method of timing that doesn't require revving the engine to 1600. But it involves connecting the vac advance to the 4" switch and grounding the knock sensor wire.

Matt

post #11 of 19 Old 06-25-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
CJ7Guy1
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
But I use to turn the idle up with a screw driver until 1600rpm was achieved and then verified timing with a timing light and adjusted the distributor with the hold down screw slightly loose but enough to keep it in place. Might have used plastic jawed pliers to move the distributor back and forth until timing was achieved and then tightened down the clamping bolt.
One man job.

Hi Keith - Yep, that's my Jeep - BBD and The Stepper Brothers - it's a hell of a Blue's band.

Color me stupid Keith, which screw?

Knowing that would certainly help.

Thanks,
Patrick
post #12 of 19 Old 06-25-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
CJ7Guy1
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
There's also an alternative method of timing that doesn't require revving the engine to 1600. But it involves connecting the vac advance to the 4" switch and grounding the knock sensor wire.

Matt
Oh, pray tell Matt!
post #13 of 19 Old 06-25-2019, 05:36 PM
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Well I've been schooled and I learned something, here. Makes me glad I have an older CJ with HEI.

I would rather have a tool I don't need, than need a tool I don't have.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-25-2019, 06:15 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7Guy1 View Post
Oh, pray tell Matt!

I basically did.

Disconnect the vac advance at the distributer. Connect that hose to the 4" switch. Plug the 4" switch hose. Start the engine and time it 1 degree advanced then your sticker says.

Matt

edit: be sure to ground the knock sensor wire. Sorry

post #15 of 19 Old 06-26-2019, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
CJ7Guy1
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
One man job.

Keith, which adjustment screw do you use to temporally adjust the idle to 1600?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in