Old topic I'm sure, but doing and SR4 to T176 swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-16-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
805cj

Old topic I'm sure, but doing and SR4 to T176 swap

I bought an 80 cut that started off as a 4 cylinder. Previous to me getting it, someone had swapped a 350 into it, but retained the SR4.

Since the SR4 likes to jump out of second gear now, I'm swapping a T176 into it. I thought it would be a no brainer since the 176 was an option, but some things like which holes to use on the skid plate and drive shaft length have popped up.

I measured from the face plate of the granny to the tip of the yoke and the 176 is just under 1/2 inch shorter. Do I need to get a new drive shaft or is that in the realm that the drive shaft can slide to?

Also, I have found a thread that said to use the second row of three (middle) as the mounting points for the trans mount. Is this correct? The other article mentioned it was behind a 6 cylinder, but my thoughts are the engine really wouldn't make much difference as the SR4 was behind the same 350, so the only difference is where the tranny mounts respectively to the skid plate, and that's only because they are possibly in different locations (forgot to measure that)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 06:56 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think you will need a new bell-housing with the ford bolt pattern.

You will need a new trans tunnel cover, or modify the existing, due to different shifter locations..

The electrical connections for the back up lights are different, so you'll have to address that.

I thought the T176 is like 3" shorter than the SR4, so driveshafts would need changing. Is this not so?

The skid plate has multiple bolt holes, so it can be mounted to the frame in different locations to accommodated different transmissions. Hopefully there'll be a set of holes that works out for you. With the 350, it's unknown whether that will be the case.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 07:00 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Why did you measure your Granny's face plate?

Yes, the second row o holes in the skid plate is correct. I just did that last night.

I doubt if an 1/2" will make a difference

Also your tunnel cover will no longer fit.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 08:33 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I think you will need a new bell-housing with the ford bolt pattern.

You will need a new trans tunnel cover, or modify the existing, due to different shifter locations..

The electrical connections for the back up lights are different, so you'll have to address that.

I thought the T176 is like 3" shorter than the SR4, so driveshaft would need changing. Is this not so?

The skid plate has multiple bolt holes, so it can be mounted to the frame in different locations to accommodated different transmissions. Hopefully there'll be a set of holes that works out for you. With the 350, it's unknown whether that will be the case.

Matt

If OP is swapping out his 80 SR4/Dana 300 with the short output for the T-176/Dana 300 with the long output I can see there being less length overall length change. 1/2" shouldn't need a new driveshaft, but it wouldn't hurt to flex it out to make sure that neither shaft fully compresses or pulls apart.

I thought that the SR-4 was the Ford bellhousing bolt pattern except you had to modify the one lower hole to bolt through the other way or something.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #5 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
805cj

Thanks for the replies,

The bellhousing from the original iron Dukw, in a lot of cases, are drilled for both transmissions. However mine was an exception. I sourced one, believe it or not, last Christmas day and, ironically it is drilled for only the t176.

I triple measured the length and theres always room for a slight mistake, but I dont believe it was 3 inches. Will measure once more to make sure.

I was hoping someone might know if, since the SR4 used the first (most forward) set of bolt holes for the mounts, changing to the 176 would need to use the middle or last row of mount holes.

Been hanging on to do this project due to a shoulder surgery and honestly, could use a couple days down from it since I've pissed off my rotator again. So I have some time to reread all you have said, step back look at what I have and see.

Thanks again all.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
805cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Why did you measure your Granny's face plate?

Yes, the second row o holes in the skid plate is correct. I just did that last night.

I doubt if an 1/2" will make a difference

Also your tunnel cover will no longer fit.

This is what I get for not spell checking when I type on my dang phone.

Nice catch John
post #7 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
805cj

Damn, rereading it, my freaking phone changed all kinds of words. It's a wonder anyone could figure out what I was trying to say.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 10:20 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
. I thought that the SR-4 was the Ford bellhousing bolt pattern except you had to modify the one lower hole to bolt through the other way or something.
My SR4 bell housing was not drilled/tapped for a ford pattern. I've heard of guys drilling/tapping their own bolt holes, but that looked a little dicey to me, since a couple of the new holes would have been too close to the existing holes. I felt it would be safer to source the correct bell housing, as the OP did.

Matt

post #9 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
805cj

Well crap!

I went back and measured everything again. I measured each component and then added them up. I measured and added 3 times and got the same results. The T176/D300 combo is 1.625 inches shorter than the SR4/D300 combo.

Dont believe the shafts can absorb that much of a difference
post #10 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 11:50 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Is the current trans/tcase still installed? If so, measure the current showing spline, then when you pull out the shafts you can compare that to the available spline and see where you end up. Pulling s shaft apart is not nearly as bad as fully collapsing one.

post #11 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
805cj

Nah, I already pulled the old one out, separated the t case and trans and sold the old transfer case. That's why I measured the way I did today.

I'm going to have to throw the new one in and them measure the length from yoke to yoke and get mine cut and lengthen accordingly. Unless someone has another idea
post #12 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 12:17 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

According to Novak, whose info is normally reliable, but not always, the SR4 is 15.25" long. The T176 with Jeep adapter is 12.9" long. That's a 2.35" difference.

Whatever the exact number is, it's pretty clear you will need new driveshafts.

Matt

post #13 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
805cj

Yep, shafts either have to be replaced or lengthened/shortend.😪😪
post #14 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 01:29 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

post #15 of 18 Old 11-18-2019, 01:33 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805cj View Post
Nah, I already pulled the old one out, separated the t case and trans and sold the old transfer case. That's why I measured the way I did today.

I'm going to have to throw the new one in and them measure the length from yoke to yoke and get mine cut and lengthen accordingly. Unless someone has another idea

is the new t-case a long output? your original 80 case should have been the short output and that would explain the the smaller difference than just the length of the trans/adapter difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in