• 1 Post By keith460
  • 1 Post By micjmmy
  • 1 Post By Techlight

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-02-2021, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
micjmmy
1984 CJ7 

Old Man Emu Help

I purchased someone else's 84 CJ7 project, and now have it complete. The previous owner didn't hesitate to purchase quality parts, but sometimes they weren't the correct quality part... I'm told by the PO that he purchased the OME "heavy spring" kit which has Doetsch Tech shocks. The Jeep rides extremely stiff! Every bump is jarring... humps in the road that I take at 60+ in my daily, I have to slow down to 30 or it feels like the Jeep is coming off the ground... from everything I've read, this should ride better than stock.

I have attempted to identify/confirm that there are "heavy" springs installed, but there are no identifying marks on the springs... There is a faded sticker that cannot be read, "Old Man Emu" painted on the top of the spring, and some random letters that do not correspond with anything I've researched or that an OME dealer was able to use (I'm not with the Jeep now, but it's something like "J1V17").

With this info I have a few questions:

1. Is there any other way to identify a heavy spring vs. a medium or light spring?
2. I have a Chevy 350 and Chevy auto transmission. There is a winch on the front, but that's really all that adds weight (soft top, stock bumpers, etc.). The Jeep weighs in at 3640 lbs. Which springs SHOULD be used? Med? Light?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-02-2021, 08:36 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Before you blame the springs, check the tightness of the bolts in the shackles and the air pressure in the tires. Too much of either will make for a harsh ride.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 14 Old 06-02-2021, 08:55 AM
Techlight
1984 CJ7 

Garage
X2 on the shackles and tire pressure. Alot of fokks on here run theirs around 22-30 psi it seems. Can someone post up the shackle torque for him...I thought it was somewhere around 18 ft lbs but cant recall.

With the 350 and the winch I'd think you'd want to run the heavy springs. I have the heavys all the way around with a hard top, winch, and 258 and mine seems to ride ok. Basically rides like a YJ after the conversion.

I dont have my Jeep with me or I'd post the numbers off of them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

,[_____],
_-o||||||||o-_
()_)ŻŻŻŻ )_) 1984 CJ7 Renegade, 4.2L-TBI, D30, AMC20, 4.5" OME lift

post #4 of 14 Old 06-02-2021, 11:07 AM
scobar
1982 CJ5 

I have the medium Old Man spring & shock conversion, rides like a Cadillac lol.

I would agree with others w tightness, you may be able to check that by bouncing on the bumper if you get some movement in the shackles to see if there over tightened, or just loosen them up a turn or so and that may help.
I run 33/12.5 tires at 28#
post #5 of 14 Old 06-02-2021, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
micjmmy
1984 CJ7 

I believe tire pressure is in an acceptable range (but will double check), but I haven't checked the tightness at the shackles. Looking through old threads it looks like the general consensus is 20-25 ft/lbs. I'll check this when I'm home tonight!
post #6 of 14 Old 06-02-2021, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
micjmmy
1984 CJ7 

Update! The rear springs were torqued correctly, but the fronts were VERY tight. I re-torqued the fronts and it does feel like it rides a bit better. That said, the majority of the jarring when going over bumps comes from the rear, so I'm still at a loss here. My thought is that the heavy springs in the rear are too tight for the application. I have no added weight in the rear (no spare, no aftermarket bumper, no hard top, etc), so my though is to replace the rears with either medium or light springs... thoughts?
post #7 of 14 Old 06-02-2021, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
micjmmy
1984 CJ7 

Forgot to mention that all tires were at 25-27 lbs
post #8 of 14 Old 06-02-2021, 09:50 PM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
The heavy OME springs number is CS036 and usually also have a Dakar sticker on them. OME doesn't offer a "kit", someone/company had to combine parts as their "kit". Does it have yellow bushings? All OME's are yellow.
As for the shackle bolts, 20-25 ft/lbs is recommended. I set mine at 22 using nylok nuts. I have heavy springs all around and even with my hardtop off it rides fine. I'm thinking the PO fed you a line of bull.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-03-2021, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
micjmmy
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
The heavy OME springs number is CS036 and usually also have a Dakar sticker on them. OME doesn't offer a "kit", someone/company had to combine parts as their "kit". Does it have yellow bushings? All OME's are yellow.
As for the shackle bolts, 20-25 ft/lbs is recommended. I set mine at 22 using nylok nuts. I have heavy springs all around and even with my hardtop off it rides fine. I'm thinking the PO fed you a line of bull.

Eh, I'm still in contact with the PO and don't think he would ever intentionally deceive (career Army Chaplin Officer). I can't picture him stenciling OME branding and random lettering on a cheap spring and then selling it as OME.

I've seen a number of "kits" (yes, parts combined by 4x4 supply vendors), some with black bushings. I'm thinking this may be what he purchased, as he thinks he remembers ordering the suspension out of Utah, and Doetsch Tech shocks match what is provided in the kit they push for the CJ platform. Also, black bushings are used in the sample picture on their site:

https://www.rocky-road.com/cj-ome.html

I'm going to give RR Outfitters a call today to see if they have any record of an order (it's been 3-5 years, so this may be a lost cause). At this point I'll probably order a set of light or medium rate springs for the rear to see what that does for me.
Renegade82 likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-03-2021, 09:31 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Here's a list of OME leaf springs numbers. See if any of the numbers match what you have.

ome-leaf-springs-2.jpg

ome-leaf-springs.jpg

ome-lift-kit-complete.jpg
robblue6412 likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #11 of 14 Old 06-03-2021, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
micjmmy
1984 CJ7 

Today I took a rear tire off and cleaned the leaf where I see the stenciling in. Under the dirt/grime, I found "CS036R" which appear to match what most places refer to as a "heavy" spring. Tomorrow I'll be reaching out to ARB and seeing what they recommend given the weight and set-up of my Jeep! Thanks for the help!
Renegade82 likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-03-2021, 10:35 PM
Techlight
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Rocky Road uses different bushings in their OME kits. They are usually black. The shock brand you mentioned is also what ships with their kit.
Renegade82 likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-15-2021, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
micjmmy
1984 CJ7 

Update: Following the recommendation of a buddy (and the folks at ARB talking me out of different springs), I aired my tires down even more from 25ish psi all around, to 18 in the rear and 20 in the front... MUCH better!
post #14 of 14 Old 06-15-2021, 01:36 PM
Techlight
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Maybe it's your Jeep telling you to start buying more parts ...to fix the ride on it you need after market bumpers, winch, hard top, oversized tires, tuffy drawer full of tools in the back, and a really heavy cooler full of beer and snacks. Don't ignore the signs lol.

Glad it rides better.

,[_____],
_-o||||||||o-_
()_)ŻŻŻŻ )_) 1984 CJ7 Renegade, 4.2L-TBI, D30, AMC20, 4.5" OME lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in