‘Old Blue’ Build Thread - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 11-27-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Ben W

1977 CJ7 

‘Old Blue’ Build Thread

Finally made the time to run up to the panhandle and pick up ‘Old Blue’ over the break. I had posted my first post a few months ago introducing myself and asking for a few pointers. Well the time has finally come and I’ll be taking her back to my shop in Tampa this weekend to start the deconstruction. Old Blue is a 1977 CJ 7 and has been in my family since the early 90’s. My dad bought her to use for getting around in the woods where we hunted. She has not run since he passed away 9 years ago and has been sitting at our farm in in NW Florida ever since.

My plan of action is to start tearing her down and organizing parts. All I know so far is the year and the engine. She has a AMC 304 with automatic transmission. Not sure of the axles or other parts of the drivetrain yet. As I get her stripped down I’ll get all the specifics.

I plan on pulling the engine first and placing on an engine stand that I can transport to my home garage. That way I can spend the evenings stripping it down to the block. I have started looking into rebuild kits but haven’t done enough research yet. I want to break it down myself and then take it to a professional to rebuild it.

Most of the body is not salvageable. I am going to be on the hunt for a good tub, but I won’t need that for awhile. If I can find a good second hand one that requires minimal body work, I will jump on it, otherwise I may spend the money on a new tub. The hood, grill, windshield and dash all appear to be salvageable.

The frame is in overall good shape. This Jeep has been in the south it’s entire life so no damage from salt or anything like that. Once I get it stripped down to the frame I plan on taking it to be sand blasted and powder coated. I plan on replacing both bumpers so I’ll have some cutting and grinding to do as they are both welded on.

Really looking forward to getting into this project. It will take me some time as I have a lot of other things going on in life but hope to have it back on the road by next summer, we’ll see. Any advice is always greatly appreciated. More to come!

GR-CJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 11-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I’m glad your are willing to take the time to restore your fathers old Jeep.

Based in what it needs I would be surprised if you have it back on the road next summer. If you do, more power to you!

Take a million pictures of every part from every angle before you take it apart.

Bag and tag every part, including the hardware.

Don’t throw anything away until the restoration is final.

Good luck, I’ll be following this thread.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #3 of 45 Old 11-28-2019, 12:23 PM
TerryHowe

1949 CJ3A 

Garage
That Jeep has a lot of potential although I've heard that Quadratrac is problematic.

Terry Howe
'49 Willys CJ-3A

post #4 of 45 Old 11-28-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Ben W

1977 CJ7 

‘Old Blue’ Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post

Based in what it needs I would be surprised if you have it back on the road next summer. If you do, more power to you!

Take a million pictures of every part from every angle before you take it apart.

Axhammer, appreciate the input. Yes I’m being a little over optimistic with my timeline, but I have to give myself a goal right? Once summer comes it’s almost unbearable to work in my uninsulated warehouse so I know progress will slow when the heat comes back.

I am going to make it happen though one way or another. This is the vehicle I learned to drive on when I was a kid. Lots of good memories there so to restore it means a lot to me. Deconstruction will begin next week and I’ll start posting pics.
post #5 of 45 Old 11-28-2019, 06:38 PM
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben W View Post
Quote:

Axhammer, appreciate the input. Yes I’m being a little over optimistic with my timeline, but I have to give myself a goal right? Once summer comes it’s almost unbearable to work in my uninsulated warehouse so I know progress will slow when the heat comes back.

I am going to make it happen though one way or another. This is the vehicle I learned to drive on when I was a kid. Lots of good memories there so to restore it means a lot to me. Deconstruction will begin next week and I’ll start posting pics.
Automatic and a v8 cool set up.. I dont know know much about the quadratrac but I think its neat.

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
post #6 of 45 Old 11-28-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Ben W

1977 CJ7 

Yea I don’t know a lot about the quadratrac either, just did some reading on it a couple years ago when I first started dreaming about this build. All I know is that there were zero issues with it for over 30 years. It will be rebuilt like everything else so I’m sure it will be fine.
post #7 of 45 Old 11-29-2019, 08:24 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
If you have any troubles finding parts for your project, there is a father/son business in Pinetown NC that has everything. They might not have it in stock today, but they will eventually have it or get it.They are reasonable priced too, so I’d definitely recommend them to anyone looking for CJ parts.

I know it’s far from your location but it might be worth it to make one trip and come back with a truck load of parts. You can call and give them a list of what you need, and then go get the parts after they have them.
Attached Thumbnails
62F9FE2B-ACED-4328-A803-E27CB182EC95.jpg  
Ben W likes this.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #8 of 45 Old 11-29-2019, 10:34 AM
Trapshooter
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Good on Ya for wanting to bring your Father's CJ7 back to life. Post lots of pics of your progress. We will be watching!

Good Luck...........

'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 45 Old 11-29-2019, 12:36 PM
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben W View Post
Yea I don’t know a lot about the quadratrac either, just did some reading on it a couple years ago when I first started dreaming about this build. All I know is that there were zero issues with it for over 30 years. It will be rebuilt like everything else so I’m sure it will be fine.
I just read that the old jeep quadratracs are getting harder to come by . I think it would be worth saving this one if you can even if you decide to swap in a dana 300

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
post #10 of 45 Old 11-29-2019, 12:53 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #11 of 45 Old 11-29-2019, 01:38 PM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter View Post
Good on Ya for wanting to bring your Father's CJ7 back to life. Post lots of pics of your progress. We will be watching!

Good Luck...........
Good on Ya, spend some time down under?

And I agree, perfect project to bring the jeep back to life,
post #12 of 45 Old 11-30-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Ben W

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
If you have any troubles finding parts for your project, there is a father/son business in Pinetown NC that has everything. They might not have it in stock today, but they will eventually have it or get it.They are reasonable priced too, so I’d definitely recommend them to anyone looking for CJ parts.

I know it’s far from your location but it might be worth it to make one trip and come back with a truck load of parts. You can call and give them a list of what you need, and then go get the parts after they have them.

Awesome, thank you for the lead. NC is not that far, I’m always up for a road trip!
post #13 of 45 Old 12-01-2019, 06:30 AM
STJP
1985 CJ7 

You will find manuals at this site helpful if not required:

https://oljeep.com/edge_77_tsm.html

Good luck,

JS
Ben W likes this.
post #14 of 45 Old 12-02-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Ben W

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJP View Post
You will find manuals at this site helpful if not required:

https://oljeep.com/edge_77_tsm.html

Good luck,

JS
Wow, thank you for this! Super helpful
post #15 of 45 Old 12-02-2019, 08:09 PM
82Laredo-7

Some great family history in that cj, take your time and enjoy the build.

I love the rifle rest for a center console!
Ben W likes this.

82 CJ7 Laredo 4.2L w/T5, Weber 38, 3:30's w/32's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in