• 1 Post By JEEPFELLER
  • 1 Post By Sacto85CJ7
  • 1 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-06-2021, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Sacto85CJ7
1985 CJ7 

Oil Pressure Switch Wiring

I saved everything...except the two connectors for these, it seems, and the Howell TBI kit doesn't address these. The pictures I took as I took everything apart don't show this directly. I'll go and search through the two totes of stuff that came off of the Jeep for this project a third time just to be sure.

In case I don't find them, (even if I do) what gets hooked up to these two pieces?

Thanks for the help. It runs and drives now after 3 years and I only have a few details like this to finish before it goes to the smog shop.

Mark
PoolGuyMark on IG

Attached Thumbnails
OilSensor.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-06-2021, 06:58 PM
torkman1983
Retired Air Force
1983 CJ7 

The oil pressure sender is a purple wire that makes its way through the dash onto the back of the gauge and stays as a purple wire. The two pronged connector is a switch that is usually used to connect power to the electric choke. It basically just allows power to pass through only when Jeep engine is running (has oil pressure). I did not use it and it is not needed with TBI unless you have something in particular that you want to only have 12v when engine running. I just used a switched wire (ignition on) for my Weber choke in that I will not ever have just my ignition on without running engine.
Sacto85CJ7 likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-07-2021, 07:42 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It also controls the Manifold heater that would be helpful with a TBI conversion as fuel/air is still drawn through the intake manifold.
A MPFI system will not need the heater as only air is passing through the intake manifold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 8 Old 04-08-2021, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Sacto85CJ7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
It also controls the Manifold heater that would be helpful with a TBI conversion as fuel/air is still drawn through the intake manifold.
A MPFI system will not need the heater as only air is passing through the intake manifold.
Thanks, The manifold heater is still in place but that wire disappears into a harness...i'll have to look for the other end.

Mark
PoolGuyMark
post #5 of 8 Old 04-08-2021, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Sacto85CJ7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torkman1983 View Post
The oil pressure sender is a purple wire that makes its way through the dash onto the back of the gauge and stays as a purple wire. The two pronged connector is a switch that is usually used to connect power to the electric choke. It basically just allows power to pass through only when Jeep engine is running (has oil pressure). I did not use it and it is not needed with TBI unless you have something in particular that you want to only have 12v when engine running. I just used a switched wire (ignition on) for my Weber choke in that I will not ever have just my ignition on without running engine.
A quick look and I have no purple wire. The pass. seat is still out so I'll get on my back and have a good look around under the dash. I'll run a new wire if I don't find it tucked away.

Thanks,
Mark
PoolGuyMark
post #6 of 8 Old 04-08-2021, 08:20 AM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Chopped from left and right (mated back together) 1979 CJ wire diagram

----JEEPFELLLER
Attached Thumbnails
oil sender gauge.jpg  
Sacto85CJ7 likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-10-2021, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Sacto85CJ7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torkman1983 View Post
The oil pressure sender is a purple wire that makes its way through the dash onto the back of the gauge and stays as a purple wire.
Thanks Torkman1983! I made up a new wire and boom! the gauge moved as soon as I turned the key. When the engine started, straight to 70. It settled in at 40 once the idle dropped.

Mark
PoolGuyMark
John Strenk likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-10-2021, 08:31 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto85CJ7 View Post
Thanks, The manifold heater is still in place but that wire disappears into a harness...i'll have to look for the other end.

Mark
PoolGuyMark
There are 4 wires on the manifold heater relay.

maifoldheatercircuit.png

1 wire is for power.
1 wire goes to the oil pressure switch
1 wire goes to the manifold heater
1 wire goes to a temp switch in the manifold to turn off the heater once the water in the manifold gets warm enough.

The fuse is the fusable link in the Wiring harness from the starter sonlenoid. .
Attached Images

Sacto85CJ7 likes this.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in