Off Road Trailer - JeepForum.com
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 03-25-2020, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

Off Road Trailer

I've been thinking about building an offroad trailer to match my CJ, is anyone else in the process or would want to build one? I'd like to toss around some ideas. I'm thinking all steel, 5' wide to match the CJ7 body, and 6' long. And I was thinking I would use a CJ tailgate both front and rear so If I wanted to haul a little lumber I could drop both ends. And of-course matching wheels and tires. And the accessories are pretty much endless, Tent,camping gear,spare tire,water and fuel, propane tank, tool box. You name it.

Eric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 03-25-2020, 08:38 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Interesting project. I like the idea of two tailgates. Another thing I'd do is to make an overhead rack in case you'd want to haul a canoe. Also run a tube full length and put a receiver hitch on the rear. Even if you made the body of the trailer yourself you could still use CJ tailgates as CJ tubs are hard to find and expensive when you do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 Old 03-25-2020, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Interesting project. I like the idea of two tailgates. Another thing I'd do is to make an overhead rack in case you'd want to haul a canoe. Also run a tube full length and put a receiver hitch on the rear. Even if you made the body of the trailer yourself you could still use CJ tailgates as CJ tubs are hard to find and expensive when you do.
Yes, I planed on building the body from scratch, and I was going to buy a Jeep tailgate for the rear, but I would Fabricate the front one. It's cheaper and it wont show. Not sure if it's legal to tow tandem around here, I'll have to check. Unless you want the rear receiver for accessories? Oh and I was planning a set of racks, I was thinking I would use a steel pipe for the 4 corners of the body and make any top accessory fit the pipes.

post #4 of 43 Old 03-25-2020, 08:59 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Here's a couple lengthy threads with all sorts of good info/ideas...

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...r-kit-1274811/
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...hread-1180456/

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #5 of 43 Old 03-25-2020, 09:49 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECJ-7 View Post
Yes, I planed on building the body from scratch, and I was going to buy a Jeep tailgate for the rear, but I would Fabricate the front one. It's cheaper and it wont show. Not sure if it's legal to tow tandem around here, I'll have to check. Unless you want the rear receiver for accessories? Oh and I was planning a set of racks, I was thinking I would use a steel pipe for the 4 corners of the body and make any top accessory fit the pipes.
The rear receiver could easily be used for accessories but in case you get stuck and need a pull backwards it could also be used for that. Just make the tongue stretch to the back and attach the receiver to that. That way the pull is transferred to the Jeep without tearing your trailer up. Sometimes a light pull is all you need and this would keep you from having to unhook the trailer. My thinking always reverts to the Boy Scout motto of "always be prepared".
Cutlass327 likes this.

My build thread

post #6 of 43 Old 03-25-2020, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
The rear receiver could easily be used for accessories but in case you get stuck and need a pull backwards it could also be used for that. Just make the tongue stretch to the back and attach the receiver to that. That way the pull is transferred to the Jeep without tearing your trailer up. Sometimes a light pull is all you need and this would keep you from having to unhook the trailer. My thinking always reverts to the Boy Scout motto of "always be prepared".
Gotcha, good idea, maybe I'll also make the draw bar extendable so you could run it short off road and long if you need to pick up longer stock. If the receiver tube extends all the way it would be easy to just make a smaller draw bar that slides into it.
Jim1611 likes this.
post #7 of 43 Old 03-25-2020, 07:13 PM
kd7oir

1977 CJ5 

I'm planning on a build similar to what your talking about. Couple ideas for you. Jeep fuel tank so you can leave the Jerry cans at home and maybe an air tank and/or water tank in front of that. You could style the sides like a Jeep and use Jeep flairs. Put some PVC underneath to store an extra drive shaft or axles. Inside, in front of the wheel wells you can put tool storage or maybe a electric compressor compartment. If you have access to a heavy-duty sewing machine, look for used soft tops or top hardware then go-to a truck tarp shop and get some tarp material and build your own top/tent.
Just some of my ideas I want to use. Just be sure to position your axle so as around 60% of the loaded weight is in front of the axle for a good balance. Some say more than 60. You don't want that fishtail affect pulling with any short wheel base rig.
Show us pics too when you start to build.
Shawn
Cutlass327 and PottsyCJ5 like this.

Shawn
post #8 of 43 Old 03-25-2020, 10:33 PM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
A trailer is on my bucket list, but in the future. I kept tossing around whether I wanted to go the M416 look or the Jeep tub look. I think I'm going the jeep tub direction but I don't want to do the fiberglass Dinoot route because I want to be able to add metal as needed. What I'm thinking is get some rear corner repair panels for the correct curve and tailgate jamb, as well as the angled top edge profile. Do the same for the front but cut off the jamb. Then connect the front and sides with sheetmetal and bend in the top profile.
I also want it to be a side hinged top that flips open to double the size and create a sleeping surface. Then use schedule 40 pvc to create a frame over it to support a tarp. Essentially creating a tent.
Cutlass327 likes this.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

post #9 of 43 Old 03-26-2020, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

I just built this one to haul my JD 420, it's a tilt bed with a drop axle so it loads easy even with something heave on a hand truck. I also picked up a pallet of concrete with it and rolled it off with my pallet jack. I added a tailgate that goes to a point that isn't on in that photo

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/atta...1&d=1585217859
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190721_163226.jpg  
Jim1611 likes this.
post #10 of 43 Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Nice. The 420 should have been in the picture too

My build thread

post #11 of 43 Old 03-26-2020, 06:56 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECJ-7 View Post
I just built this one to haul my JD 420, it's a tilt bed with a drop axle so it loads easy even with something heave on a hand truck. I also picked up a pallet of concrete with it and rolled it off with my pallet jack. I added a tailgate that goes to a point that isn't on in that photo

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/atta...1&d=1585217859
Quote:
Funny how that works. I bought a trailer for my MTD 990A

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #12 of 43 Old 03-26-2020, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
here ya go. It works great, bought it 2 snow seasons ago and haven't had an inch in the driveway since I got it.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/atta...1&d=1585250665
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190102_092208697.jpg  
John Strenk and Jim1611 like this.
post #13 of 43 Old 03-26-2020, 01:46 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I know you aren't wanting the M416 route, but there are pages on Facebook for M101/M416 trailers, most people are using them on there for expedition trailers like you're talking about. I personally have a M416, but it is a worker horse for me. I would recommend the route you are planning, as then you can use the space between the wheel wells and the front panel for storage. The narrower tub of the 416 loses perfectly usable storage space. Look at a pickup bed, how many of them have little shelves on each side to put 2x4s across the bed to make a way to haul a sheet of plywood or something and not have to have to have it flex over the wheel wells. Maybe do that, having the fuel/water tanks and spare parts under the deck.

The advantage of the M416 though is the hubs are the same as the CJ, so the CJ spare fits the trailer, too.I was considering a way to haul a spare under the bed of the trailer, using a cable winch from a junkyard minivan or pickup, but I figured I am fine with using the spare from the CJ. Having a cable operated parking brake is nice too.
schardein likes this.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

post #14 of 43 Old 03-28-2020, 07:17 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Here's a CJ trailer that my Father built over 50 years ago. I rebuilt it a few years ago.

It comes in very handy for hauling all sorts of things.

Matt
Attached Images

Jim1611 and STJP like this.

post #15 of 43 Old 03-28-2020, 09:04 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
I know you aren't wanting the M416 route, but there are pages on Facebook for M101/M416 trailers,
The advantage of the M416 though is the hubs are the same as the CJ, so the CJ spare fits the trailer, too..
Thanks for the heads up, I just joined and posted on the M101/M416 page.

I own one of each.

Just a clarification on the M416 hubs- they are indeed 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, same as Jeep. However, the original wheels have a fair amount of positive offset. I run CJ rims on my 416, and even the relatively narrow 5.5" wide rims have some of the tire outside the factory fenders.

Also, the lug studs are 7/16. The 416 lug nuts used a large flat faced washer attached to the lug nut to secure against the flat surface of the wheel. When switching to a conical lug nut for the CJ stock wheel, the 7/16 lug isn't really the right size. But, I used them for going on 15 years with no issue. Coincidentally, I have the hubs off the trailer right now, converting it to 1/2" lug studs, as I plan to start using it more than I do already.

I found this 416 in the jungle in Hawaii, by the way.

1st pic- a few years later than second pic, with nos fenders and CJ wheels.
2nd pic- right after putting a lot of work into it, with factory wheels.

EDIT: just realized first pic, the rims are older CJ 16" rims from a flat fender, 4.5" wide, 7.00-16 tires. I now have later, 15" by 5.5" wide rims on it with 30x9.50-15 tires
Attached Thumbnails
trailer 002.jpg  
Attached Images

Cutlass327 likes this.

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Ox air, Rr D44 OX cable, 4.56, 35" Falken A/T3W on beadlocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in