95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 01:21 PM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoyle71 View Post
My dash doesn't have cutouts for a clock (or tach for that matter). Did all CJ's have them? Mine is 86 CJ7
Only the Golden Eagle, Laredo, Limited and Jamboree versions came from factory with the tach and clock. All others it was optioned, like mine for the Renegade package.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #47 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoyle71 View Post
Curious if as you complete this project you could add a finished pic of the dash. I'm a relatively new CJ owner, but am working towards a mostly OEM look.....but my dash doesn't have cutouts for a clock (or tach for that matter). Did all CJ's have them? Mine is 86 CJ7
I'll certainly keep the thread updated.

As Keith said, only certain trim packages came with the clock standard, it was optional on the others. Those that didn't come with it, don't have the cutout. There are dash layout diagrams, that give specific dimensions for the cutouts. I'll try to post one, if I can find it, or maybe someone else can.

Honestly, at this point I'm leaning towards having ISI rebuild my clock. I'll end up spending more than I wanted to, but the final product should be reliable for years. I'll document locating and cutting the hole in the dash, and installing it the best I can.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #48 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 06:26 PM
STJP
1985 CJ7 

Matt,

You can't cut holes in your original dash! Buy a Kentrol dash and add clock and tach holes in it. Your Jeep is only original once. You cut those holes and you can't go back.

I know...it's easy for me to spend your money.

JS

post #49 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

STJP,

Too late for that. I've already cut the hole and installed a OEM tach, so doing the same for a clock doesn't bother me. That's how the factory would have done it, if it were ordered on my CJ, anyway.

I'm not a purist in the traditional sense. But, I have always liked the looks of a fully optioned OEM CJ dash, and I think my Father did too. He just couldn't afford it when he bought my CJ.

I guess that's what's cool about owning a CJ. Everyone has his own opinion on the perfect one.

Matt
John Strenk, STJP and bob4703 like this.

post #50 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Glad the option is there to fix your clock with ISI, Matt, and can't wait to see the finished product. Both my OEM tach and clock need disassembly and cosmetic attention, and after reading all of these exchanges, I'm now more inclined to let an expert do the job. My dad always said I was better at framing than I was at cabinet making. He had a knack for being right, I'll add.

Hoover

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #51 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hoover,

Your father sounds like a wise man.

Maybe we can negotiate a 2 for 1 special with ISI?

Matt
Hoover7 likes this.

post #52 of 371 Old 10-12-2017, 05:41 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

On my Dash Restoration thread, I had a few layouts on what size the factory holes are and there location on the dash. I believe Glenn Lever had a problem with the hole locations as his dash had a factory folded edge to it that did not coincide with the given dimensions. Doesn't matter. The important thing is to remember all dimensions should be taken from a Center or Datum line to be accurate. In the case of CJ dash, center line will be the steering wheel opening to determine tach and clock location. The headlight switch and wiper switch are the vertical center lines for the tach and clock and the heater control knob location is the horizontal center line location. If one follows these given dimensions, you are guaranteeing yourself factory locations of the clock and tachometer as if AMC/Jeep installed them.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #53 of 371 Old 10-12-2017, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Keith,

Thanks for posting those images.

What did you use to cut your holes? I used a hole saw with a pilot bit for my tach, but it wasn't exactly precise.

Also, are the tach and clock holes truly 1/4" different in size, like your diagram indicates? I figured they'd be the same size.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Tach1.jpg   Tach2.jpg  

post #54 of 371 Old 10-12-2017, 07:35 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Keith,

Thanks for posting those images.

What did you use to cut your holes? I used a hole saw with a pilot bit for my tach, but it wasn't exactly precise.

Also, are the tach and clock holes truly 1/4" different in size, like your diagram indicates? I figured they'd be the same size.

Matt
Be careful while using the hole saw. I was cutting a hole in my dash for a gauge and it hung up. Result was a broken ring finger on my right hand and i was only using a 3/8" drive drill. I had bought a new saw so I'd get a clean cut. I finished cutting the hole the same day cussing through the pain.

It could have been worse my neighbor was cleaning powder coat out of holes in a motor mount using a 1/2" bit in a 1/2" drill. His hung up and broke his arm.

I didn't realize (admit) my finger was broken for a week or so. The keeper of the checkbook told me to get it checked so I'd quit complaining. It was still blue and swollen. You can fix being careless as I obviously was, but not being hardheaded as I also was and still am!

Also pay the extra $60 and let them fix it. A glazier once told me "Let me install it. If I break it then its on my dime. If you try and then break it I get to sell you another one."

Good luck and be careful!

Edit: Oops I saw that you'd already cut the hole. Hope you were careful.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #55 of 371 Old 10-12-2017, 07:36 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Matt,

My CJ came with the clock and tachometer from factory as I ordered that option along with the Renegade package, 258 engine, power steering, side steps and optional 3.31 gears. They were all separate.

The hole sizes are correct.
Clock is 2-5/8"
Tachometer is 2-7/8"

There use to be a member on the JeepsUnlimited forum website, that is now gone for good, who would lend out the correct panel knockout punches for the tach and clock holes. He was an electrician that had these special punches and if someone needed them, he would send them out with a deposit to cover cost if lost or never returned.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #56 of 371 Old 10-12-2017, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Bob,

I know exactly what you're talking about. I think the key is to keep a hole saw perfectly perpendicular with the drilling surface, and don't put too much pressure on it. I've never broken any fingers, but I have had the drill completely yanked from my hands several times.

Keith, thanks for the confirmation on hole sizes. That's odd they'd make them different sizes, but not surprising. I remember having to ream the hole bigger that I cut for my tach, by hand, so maybe the hole saw I have will be perfect for the clock. I'll have to measure it.

Matt

post #57 of 371 Old 10-12-2017, 02:24 PM
mikeyboat
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Hoover,

Your father sounds like a wise man.

Maybe we can negotiate a 2 for 1 special with ISI?

Matt
count me in if you do...

3 fer
post #58 of 371 Old 10-12-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyboat View Post
count me in if you do...

3 fer
I just spoke with Laurie, at ISI, again. She said, if we can send her 5 clocks, they can provide a 10% discount. It's not much, but every little bit helps.

So, we have 3. Who else needs their clocks rebuilt?

I think if we all individually sent our clocks in to them, with a note that mentions my name and the group discount, that would work.

Let me know.

Matt

post #59 of 371 Old 10-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
I just spoke with Laurie, at ISI, again. She said, if we can send her 5 clocks, they can provide a 10% discount. It's not much, but every little bit helps.

So, we have 3. Who else needs their clocks rebuilt?

I think if we all individually sent our clocks in to them, with a note that mentions my name and the group discount, that would work.

Let me know.

Matt
I know it's not a clock, but I do have that OEM tach that also needs attention. Wonder if five 'units' will garner the discount or if it must be a clock. If it's units, then we would be just one shy! If you like, I can call tomorrow and ask, Matt. Hate for you to be doing all the leg work!

Hoover

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #60 of 371 Old 10-12-2017, 04:01 PM
mikeyboat
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover7 View Post
I know it's not a clock, but I do have that OEM tach that also needs attention. Wonder if five 'units' will garner the discount or if it must be a clock. If it's units, then we would be just one shy! If you like, I can call tomorrow and ask, Matt. Hate for you to be doing all the leg work!

Hoover
Yeah, me too Hoover. I've got a clock and a tach I could send off. Might make 5 right there. I'll be out of touch for the weekend, but should be able to follow up Sunday evening/ Monday. Willing to give them a call too if needed.

Also, to tag on Keith's mention of punches. Pop's is an electrician. Kind of doubt he has anything that big, but I'll ask if he does. If he does, he might sell it to me cheap so I could fill that void. Definitely the right tool for the job.
Hoover7 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in