OEM Clock Restoration and Install - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 05:40 PM
yellow85cj

1985 CJ7 

This is the style of connector that you would be looking for. Repair connector.com has some. However I got 2 different kinds from them. The key ways are a tad bit different on them. I shaved one of the key ways down and it fit ok. Was going to use them for radio hook up. Now that I need them they seem to have been hidden by the garage gremlins.

What I have done is strip the plastic off of a male quick connect then used heat shrink on the crimp. Fits tight and doesn't stick out as the above connector does.

Currently in pieces - all of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 06:18 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Matt have you thought about buying an aftermarket clock? I bought a Speedhut clock and tach and they are made to fit the factory holes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 06:33 PM
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Scotty,

If you don't mind my asking, what did they charge you to rebuild your clock?

Matt
I rebuilt it myself...just the 80 bucks, paint and polish. It came out great...if you get the clear lens from Keith you would be in Schaeffer city

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster

post #34 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Matt have you thought about buying an aftermarket clock? I bought a Speedhut clock and tach and they are made to fit the factory holes.
Not really, Jim. My dash is all original, I added a OEM tach, in the factory spot, when I swapped to the 360. I'd like to complete my dash with a OEM clock.

Yea, I know it silly, but it's a nostalgic thing.

Matt

post #35 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyDive View Post
I rebuilt it myself...just the 80 bucks, paint and polish. It came out great...if you get the clear lens from Keith you would be in Schaeffer city
Hmm...that is tempting.

I'll probably hold out hope there's a working OEM clock out there, somewhere, for a little longer.

If I get too impatient, I'll go your route.

Thanks,

Matt

post #36 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 03:32 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Ernie,

Thanks. You are correct, the adjustment rod is splined not threaded. I had to break out the magnifying glass to see it. It's rare for Keith to be mistaken.

Matt

And Iím not mistaken. At least for the 1984 model year clock. I just took my knob off, while holding it out with a pair of needle nose pliers and the knob unscrews.

Not a clear picture like I hoped but it is threaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #37 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 04:26 AM
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

Quote:

Hmm...that is tempting.

I'll probably hold out hope there's a working OEM clock out there, somewhere, for a little longer.

If I get too impatient, I'll go your route.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt...having read your threads my guess is that you will find a good working clock and will want to open it up to clean the lense and paint the hands. I did the same thing as you and realized how much of a pain it is to remove the bezel and put it back on so that it is tight and lays flat against the dash. So I decided while I was into the case to replace the guts and do it once. Btw, the replacement kit comes with a DVD to assist in the replacement.

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
post #38 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
And I’m not mistaken. At least for the 1984 model year clock. I just took my knob off, while holding it out with a pair of needle nose pliers and the knob unscrews.

Not a clear picture like I hoped but it is threaded.
Gee, Keith, you didn't have to go to that trouble, but thanks.

It appears we were both correct, and the clock supplier changed the design at some point. I managed to take a clear pic of mine, and it is definitely splined.

Just another nuance that makes these CJs so unique, I guess.

Matt
Attached Images

post #39 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyDive View Post
Matt...having read your threads my guess is that you will find a good working clock and will want to open it up to clean the lense and paint the hands. I did the same thing as you and realized how much of a pain it is to remove the bezel and put it back on so that it is tight and lays flat against the dash. So I decided while I was into the case to replace the guts and do it once. Btw, the replacement kit comes with a DVD to assist in the replacement.
Scotty,

OK, you've convinced me. Just a few more questions.

Did swapping out the quartz movement involve any special tools, or have any "gotchya" moments? Looking at this one, I'm not picturing how the movement separates from the clock face, but maybe that's all explained in the DVD.

Any advice on how to polish up the lens? After tearing mine open, I realized what I thought was yellowing, was just dust. So my lens is still fairly clear, but has a bunch of very fine scratches in it.

Finally, the original has the rubber o-ring between the lens and bezel and the paper gasket between the crimp and the housing. I can re-use my o-ring, but the paper gasket is too far gone. What do you think that thin paper gasket was suppose to accomplish, and did you replace yours or skip it?

Matt

post #40 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 06:48 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Not really, Jim. My dash is all original, I added a OEM tach, in the factory spot, when I swapped to the 360. I'd like to complete my dash with a OEM clock.

Yea, I know it silly, but it's a nostalgic thing.

Matt
Not silly at all. If my CJ were passed down from my dad and in original form I would likely do the same. In fact the closer mine comes to being finished the more I see myself wanting to preserve the old parts, as many cases they were better.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #41 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 07:12 AM
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

Matt...I don't recall the paper but the gasket on mine was reusable. The DVD is generic but I watched it a couple of times before I dug in and then paused it at each step. If I recall, there are new rubber push nuts that hold the movement onto the plastic frame parts. I think you said yours were damaged so I think a call over to isi is warranted. There was some research I needed to do to order the correct kit so when I get home tonight I will get the part number for you. As for the lense, I used meguires plastic polish I had left over from the boats isin glass cleaning. I polished it about a dozen times and it looked a lot better. I do know that isi has lenses too but I recall they were pricey. I was like you and had to find and pay for a used one...got burned on the first one and the second was in better shape and then sunk $$$ for the replacement quartz kit. But having it installed is very much worth it

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
post #42 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You've been very helpful, Scotty.

So you reused your plastic frame, eh? Yeah, mine is toast. I hope that doesn't squash my plans.

I'll look forward to your part number, then I'll give ISI a call and see what can be done.

Matt

post #43 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Scotty,

I spoke with a very friendly and helpful lady at ISI. (Wish I had gotten her name.) She said their movement would come with the plastic frame, including the part that is broke on mine. Apparently, there are a few pieces I'd need to transfer from my movement to theirs, but it didn't sound too difficult.

Alternatively, she said I could send her my pile-o-pieces, and they'd install the movement, polish the lens, clean and paint the face and hands, and put a new bezel on....all for $140.

Hmmm...$80 to have my fat fingers and bad eyes attempt it, or $140 for them to do it professionally. Decisions decisions....

Matt

post #44 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 12:26 PM
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

Hmmn....the kit I bought was the t-3025. I see it on eBay from them at $82...Honestly for the extra money I would have them do it. Just getting the case bezel on and off correctly would be worth it. They have a good reputation. ...good luck

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
post #45 of 371 Old 10-11-2017, 12:47 PM
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

Curious if as you complete this project you could add a finished pic of the dash. I'm a relatively new CJ owner, but am working towards a mostly OEM look.....but my dash doesn't have cutouts for a clock (or tach for that matter). Did all CJ's have them? Mine is 86 CJ7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in