OEM Clock Restoration and Install - Page 25 - JeepForum.com
 95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #361 of 371 Old 09-20-2018, 08:49 AM
raenglehart
1981 CJ7 

Garage
I hear that Matt. I was just reading your latest on the Tach repair job. Hopefully after all your evidence, they'll do something to make it right.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 371 Old 09-20-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think you are talking about Hoov's tach. I didn't send mine in.

The tach refurbs they do is disappointing because they replace the original "in-series" tach guts with the same guts put in many of the cheap aftermarket tachs. As a result, they have to be wired completely different than the original.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #363 of 371 Old 09-20-2018, 09:14 AM
raenglehart
1981 CJ7 

Garage
Yup, you're right. That was Hoov.

post #364 of 371 Old 09-20-2018, 10:14 AM
raenglehart
1981 CJ7 

Garage
Alrighty.........2 hours well spent (read form end-to-end). Guess I need to get my clock hooked up to see if it even works (Quartz) and then give ISI a shout. Thinking back to all the CJ7's I've had over my years (5 going back to mid 90's), I wonder how many OEM gauges I threw away or gave away when I was forced to sell the jeeps off for one reason or another?

The only thing I cannot wrap my head around is there exaggerated shipping quotes. I can't stand when companies charge 2, 3, 4 times over actual shipping costs with no justification other justification other than padding profits.

I'm going to do a cost comparison of the two mentioned companies and see whats what.

Received a quote back from ClockWks
$179.95 (Qtz replacement, clean/polish, repaint hands)
+$10 (replace missing stem set)
+ $14 (shipping)
$203.95 (1 year warranty) [Optional rush job for +$20 - 24 hour quick-turn]

*I can say one thing, Jerry @ Clock Works is super quick with e-mail responses.....I mean within 5 minutes thus far.*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Based on worse case scenario and prices y'all have been quoted from ISI:
$140.00 (Qtz replacement, clean/polish, replace bezel, repaint hands)
+ $ 19.36 (Set Knob)
+ $ 4.40 (Set Stem Pinion)
+ $ 12.05 (Set Stem)
+ $ .61 (Set Stem Spring)
+ $23.00 (Shipping)
= $199.42

* New Lens = $36 (Whoah!) = $235.42 (Don't think I'll need this add-on, but Worst Case, man, they are proud of the little bits for sure)

Due to everyone's clock re-do results, ISI is definitely looking like the way to go.............Decisions, decisions.

Now to get my clock out for a good inspection hopefully this weekend.

Last edited by raenglehart; 09-20-2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Update
post #365 of 371 Old 09-20-2018, 04:34 PM
raenglehart
1981 CJ7 

Garage
Well, after reading over this whole thread this AM, I couldn't wait 'til the weekend to pull my OEM clock. Got it out relatively easy. Checked power and ground at the plug and full 12vdc, so it's getting power. Hooked it up to a bench power supply, and nothing. So I figured I'll be sending in for a full re-do. Curiousity got the best of me and, we'll frankly I enjoy solving my own problems or at least giving it a valiant effort

I was able to open it up no issues...just gotta take your time and be patient. Nothing looked broken/out of place other than the aforementioned missing set arm & knob. Cleaned up the spade contacts. Spun the gear by hand a little and lubed the gears while I was at it. While still out of its case, I hooked up power again and BAM! working like a champ. So, I may (and I say with caution....may) be able to get away with a cosmetic job if I send it in at all. Right now. I set the time and am going to leave it hooked up to power for say a week or so (checking daily). If it keeps time, Yay me!! If not, then I gave it a shot and will send it in for the full refurb.

Tick-tock now as I watch and wait.

post #366 of 371 Old 09-21-2018, 02:25 PM
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Great thread, thanks. I don’t have a clock in my ‘86. I have always had old vehicles for fun and I find when I look at their clocks I then double check with my wrist watch anyway :-)
post #367 of 371 Old 10-02-2018, 09:46 AM
raenglehart
1981 CJ7 

Garage
Keeping the thread alive........I let the clock run for over a week, kept perfect time. Packed it up, called Lauri this morning to ask about the JeepForum discount (if it still applied). Will drop the clock by the USPS today/tomorrow and await for their evaluation. I'll keep ya posted, but am optimistic everything will be great seeing as how everyone else's experiences have gone (well, except the Tach work that is ).
post #368 of 371 Old 10-02-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Nice work repairing your clock, raenglhart.

Keep us posted.

Matt

post #369 of 371 Old 06-05-2019, 12:37 PM
raenglehart
1981 CJ7 

Garage
Sorry fellas, completely forgot to provide the update. After some back and forth with Lauri on how far I want them to do the restore, it was a basic refurb since I was able to get it working prior to send off to them. I got it back months ago and unfortunately due to some serious health issues, more surgeries, etc. the clock is still sitting in my shop and the Jeep is collecting dust. Everything went well with dealing with them (like everyone else), so once I get off my utt and am better enough, I'll get the clock back into the dash where it belongs.
post #370 of 371 Old 09-10-2019, 08:09 PM
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

Before i run to ISI for a $36 lens replacement, anyone stumble across a less expensive solution? I just cant get the fogginess out of my clock lens

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
post #371 of 371 Old 09-11-2019, 12:48 PM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyDive View Post
I just cant get the fogginess out of my clock lens

And you won't either. I tried several failed attempts to scrub or chemically clear the UV damaged clear cover but it had remained yellowed over from years of being exposed to the sun.

I made one out of 1/4" thick polycarbonate that I had water jet cut from our fab shop and made several. First one that I drilled for the adjustment knob and the two locating pins was slightly off so I had to make another one. Not to hard but it is time consuming to get the old cover out from the bezel that surrounds it. It was included in a thread I started here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/c...l#post10794261

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in