OEM Clock Restoration and Install - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
 95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #331 of 375 Old 01-23-2018, 03:31 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I sent my speedometer, oil pressure and volt gauges to ISI and they received them on January 12th but had not heard from them so I just called and they confirmed they are there and that they will be sending a quote when they have time to get to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 375 Old 01-23-2018, 06:19 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Jim, I hope they do a great job- looking forward to seeing the end product, and sincerely hope it is issue-free! Need to touch base with you about some shackles in the near future, btw...

As a response to my email, I got a phone call from [email protected] this morning and discussed the three main issues I had with the gauges- grommet on the clock set shaft, the incorrect needle setting on the tach, and the wire through the mounting screw hole.

As for the rubber grommet on the clock set-shaft, he indicated (like Keith and Lance confirmed, thanks! Matt, were you able to check yours?) that some of the clocks arrive with them, and some do not. He strives to return the clocks in the same configuration as he receives them, so, apparently my clock didn't have one when I sent it (EDIT: Checked the before pictures and it did have the grommet when I sent it). However, to replace those grommets when clocks have them, he uses fuel line (5/8 OD x 1/4 wall thickness) and creates his own replacements from the wall of the hose, drilling a hole for the shaft through the center. Since the adjustment knob comes straight off the shaft, I've decided to try and make my own rather than return the clock. We will see how this progresses.

As for the tach, he indicated that the aftermarket movement (?) has 'steps' along the rotation of the shaft, and rather than send it back, I could easily remove the bezel and glass, then carefully pull the face-plate and electronics from the housing. In the process, I could reconfigure the wiring to avoid the mounting screw hole (he had no idea how it mounted), and 'reset' the tach needle before reassembling. John also said I could return it to him and he could do it as well. Instead of sending it back, I thought I would give it a try myself. Hell, what do I have to lose at this point.

disasstach.jpg

So, upon disassembling, I detached the original red & red w/t wires from the new electronic box (not like I can use the factory ends in the harness anyway) and removed the wires from the housing. However, upon moving the needle ccw to reach the 'step' at zero, it keeps popping back to the 2000 rpm mark. So, in the 'resting' position, this tach either reads 2000 rpm or a whopping 6500 rpm as the picture I posted earlier shows.

Sigh. I'll send another email to ISI tonight, with images, and see what I need to do next. However, I'll echo Matt here: it seems that ISI does jeep clocks really really well, tachometers not so much.

Hoover

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #333 of 375 Old 01-23-2018, 06:26 PM
STJP
1985 CJ7 

Here's my pre and post. First is obviously pre-restoration and the two that follow are after.

JS
Attached Images

Hoover7 likes this.

post #334 of 375 Old 01-23-2018, 07:18 PM
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

Hoov,
Thanks for the info on the fuel line for the rubber grommet on the set shaft.

I still plain on sending my other gauges in as well. In fact I have them boxed with the temp and oil senders ready to go, I just got distracted doing body work on the tub and trying to finish that up so I can get this thing through paint.

I hope ISI can get that tach worked out for ya. I might wait till Jim gets his back now and see how it goes for him.

Lance

Lance

1983 CJ7
Sherwood Green Metallic/Nutmeg Interior
4.0 I6
T-5/Dana 300
Dana 30/Model 20 with 4.10 gears
33/12.50/15 BFG's
post #335 of 375 Old 01-24-2018, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hoov,

I was beat last night after hunting pheasants in shin-deep snow all day, so I didn't check for the grommet. I will this morning when I feed horses.

It's really unfortunate that ISI can't repair the factory tachs to their original "in-series" style. I may call them and ask why not, just out of curiosity.

Matt

post #336 of 375 Old 01-24-2018, 07:11 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Hope you had a successful hunt, Matt. Would love to hunt wild birds, but not many opportunities locally. We do a little quail down here, but mostly put and take.

No worries on 'rushing' for the grommet check, just hoping to see confirmation that ISI replaced grommets on clocks that arrive with them. STJP's images above helps confirm that.

And agreed, would be nice if the original 'in-series' configuration could be kept, but betting cost and replacement part availability plays a large role in what ISI can provide. In retrospect, I would have sent a working tach and just has the cosmetic treatment done rather than pursue the full rebuild. Perhaps my 'costly' experience will help others contemplating a similar overhaul on a factory tach.

Hoov

post #337 of 375 Old 01-24-2018, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hoov,

I managed to drop 2. The birds were all bunched up after the recent storm, so if you found one there was usually several more. The snow was crusty, and there was no wind, so they were hearing me from a long ways off and they often flushed out of range. Fortunately a few held tight enough to shoot at.

Below are two of my favorite ways to cook pheasants.

Matt
Attached Images

mikeyboat and robblue6412 like this.

post #338 of 375 Old 01-24-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Sorry for the sideways pics. Not sure what happened.

Matt

post #339 of 375 Old 01-24-2018, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hoov,

My clock was returned with the grommet.

Matt

post #340 of 375 Old 01-24-2018, 08:34 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Matt do you grille the pheasant when you wrap them in bacon or do them in the oven? Nice looking shotgun is it a Weatherby?

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #341 of 375 Old 01-24-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Jim,

Yes, I grill them on low heat, flipping often. Also, I brine all wild birds in salt water for 24 hours before cooking. Otherwise, the meat is a little too chewy.

It's a Weatherby Athena Grade III. Modified and improved chokes on the barrels. It's my most prized weapon, besides the rifles my Father built.

Matt

post #342 of 375 Old 01-24-2018, 08:54 AM
mopar440cu

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Hoov,

I managed to drop 2. The birds were all bunched up after the recent storm, so if you found one there was usually several more. The snow was crusty, and there was no wind, so they were hearing me from a long ways off and they often flushed out of range. Fortunately a few held tight enough to shoot at.

Below are two of my favorite ways to cook pheasants.

Matt
Looks Good, like the way we cook bacon wrapped Deer back strap. We just wrap 1"or 2" thick pieces with 1 piece of bacon, slice of onion, soak in low sodium Dales seasoning over night and seer on a hot frying pan on each side for 7 mins. Mouth watering!! :

1979- CJ5- SOA, 304, T18,D20, D30,Model 20 with trac loc/moser axles both 4:56 geared and 35 TSL swampers.

1978- CJ5-SOA,9:1 360/340HP, T18A,D20, D30 and M20 w/4:56 geared.

1979- CJ5 SOA 360, T-18/D20, 4:88 gears,36 Swampers.
post #343 of 375 Old 01-24-2018, 05:16 PM
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Hoov, my clock was sent with the grommet and returned with it

Ernie

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Every Loaf of bread is the tragic story of grains that could've become beer but didn't.
post #344 of 375 Old 01-24-2018, 06:38 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the grommet update, Matt and Ernie! Very glad your clocks returned intact.

And Matt, those images of how you prep Pheasant look awesome! Kinda like Mopar mentioned, we wrap anything that sits still too long with bacon down here. One of my favorite ways to prepare teal is to roll the pounded breast meat around minced jalapenos, then wrap with bacon and grill. Excellent spice and taste. However, I may have to experiment with a brine soak in the future. Never done that with duck and excited to try it out!

Since my clock didn't come back with that grommet (as it had originally), I started investigating how to make one of my own. As such, thought I share a few images of what I found so far. I went down to our only parts store and started asking questions about the types of rubber hoses they had in stock. After several comparisons, they gave me one of the bulk heater hose 'drops' (too short to sell) with a 3/16th thick wall to play around with. First thing I checked was the height of the knob off the lens, then measured the hose wall thickness.

clknob.jpgdepth.jpg
hose.jpg

The 3/16th wall will work just right for my clock. Since I have set of cork borers, I thought they'd be perfect to create a grommet 'blank'. However, I've known some to make their own set of 'borers' in a pinch by cutting segments from an old tapered steel golf club shaft, since they taper in a stepped fashion.

borer.jpg

Although I was successful in making a plug, I was disappointed that it had an irregular shape. This was most likely a result of cutting it by hand and was not perfectly straight up and down each time I twisted the borer. As I'm not 100% pleased quite yet, I'll be repeating the process using a small drill press with the borer again later this week.

plug.jpg

If I can get the drill press to cut evenly, it'll be a cinch to crank several of these out, and have plenty of hose to work with. Then I get to figure out how to drill a hole in the center-

Hoov

post #345 of 375 Old 01-24-2018, 06:54 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

And I also thought I would update my tach saga. I called ISI again today and spoke to John about the tach needle not resting at the zero mark. He indicated that in order for the tach to orient the needle to the zero mark, it had to be connected and that it would 'reset' to zero upon cranking the engine and shutting it down the first time. If it's truly that simple, that would be awesome. So I took a few minutes this evening and soldered up the wires (reserving my original wires and connectors for later use), used some heat shrink to seal the connections, then re-assembled the unit with all the wires exiting one of the holes for the original harness. Since I already run an aftermarket Crown tach in my CJ now, it'll be a breeze to install and test this one. When I get a chance to install it, I'll report back-

Hoover

rewire1.jpgrewire2.jpg
faceinstall.jpgfinish.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in