OEM Clock Restoration and Install - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
 95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #316 of 375 Old 12-13-2017, 09:32 AM
wm69
1985 CJ7 

Yeah, but the aftermarket gauges are garbage.

I guess I just see more people restoring the later model CJ's that the earlier models, and usually full restos are what gets people to pay $$$$ for NOS parts

85 CJ7 258, borla header, Team Rush, MC2100 ,optima batt, Warn 8274, agr super box 2 & pump, T5 w/ B&M shifter, centerforce 2, superior 1 piece axles, warn hubs 2.5 in lift, 31" BFG MT

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #317 of 375 Old 12-13-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Interestingly, the NOS speedo sold for about the same price as the Speedhut speedos, which are generally considered one of the best aftermarket gauges for CJs.

Honestly, I was considering bidding when the NOS speedo auction was under $300, but couldn't justify it after that. Even at $355, I bet the winning bidder could make money on that speedo, if he sits on it for a year or two. Hopefully he's going to use it, though, instead of hoarding or flipping it.

Matt
wm69 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #318 of 375 Old 12-14-2017, 09:31 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Just to update you guys, I was expecting to hear word from ISI about my clock and tach last week (as they had indicated the week before that), but no word. So I called this morning and spoke with Connie, and she said my clock is going on the bench tester over the weekend, and if it keeps time, they will send the pair out next week. Hoping so, at the very least, just to close the loop on this project. But, we will see if that happens. Hard not to be a bit pessimistic given the the speed at which you fellas had your clocks returned, and the lack of communication from them on the progress with my set. Maybe the tach repair guy took the month off, who knows. But keeping the faith, nonetheless. Will report.

Hoover

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers

post #319 of 375 Old 12-21-2017, 01:57 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Well guys, the big box from ISI arrived about 20 minutes ago, and man it was packed well. Probably $40 worth of packing peanuts in there, and each gauge was nestled in bubble wrap within.

Unfortunately, this was the best part.

After waiting patiently since October 16th, I received a 'repaired' tach with a broken needle, and a beautiful clock with no adjustment knob. The shaft is there, but no knob. In short, these gauges are getting sent back on ISI's dime. I just spoke to John at ISI, and he claimed credit for repairing the tach, and mentioned that the needle was cracked, which they repaired with some super 'gel' with a little backing. After looking at the portion that remained, I'm convinced I could've done just as good a job. Furthermore, if the needle fell apart after being packed so well for shipping, how could you expect it to remain intact in a jeep??? Overall, the repaired tach feels half as heavy as the original, and they did no cosmetic work to the black 'band' at the periphery of the lens.

Although I offered to take pictures and send them, he said he take my word on it. So, I'm posting up a few for you guys to check out before the box returns to the post office.

Although I'm exceptionally happy that you guys had good luck, and was hoping for the same, I'm po'd about my experience, and cannot endorse ISI. But, we will see.

I was really hoping to close this thread down with a good report. Further bulletins as events warrant.

Steamed,
Hoover
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4246.jpg   IMG_4244.jpg   IMG_4241.jpg  

post #320 of 375 Old 12-21-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Well, damn, that's disappointing, Hoov.

What was the final word on the repaired tach being "in series" like the factory tach, or not?

Matt

post #321 of 375 Old 12-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Well, damn, that's disappointing, Hoov.

What was the final word on the repaired tach being "in series" like the factory tach, or not?

Matt
That's a good question, Matt. From my initial discussion with ISI, they indicated that the repaired tach would function like an aftermarket tach, and would not be considered 'in series'. Also disappointing was the lack of installation instructions for the repaired tach (read=none). In the image below, you can see the original red, and red w/t wire, as well as an additional small gauge red wire coming through the housing near the center, but have no idea which goes where- -I'm assuming one to power, one to ground and the other to the tach output on the coil, similar to the crown tach I had installed some time ago.

Yeah, I'm disappointed, and hated to rant in the above post, but *really* had my hopes up. In the greater scheme of things, this is, honestly, small potatoes. And since they said to send them back, I remain cautiously optimistic that all will work out. Meanwhile, I'll continue to use my wristwatch and aftermarket crown tach.

Hoov
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4247.jpg  

post #322 of 375 Old 12-21-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

OK, so if not in series like the factory, it will need a way of re-calibrating for your V8. Most aftermarket tachs have a button on the back that allows you to switch from 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. I don't see anything like that on your tach, unfortunately, so I'm not sure how much more time I'd spend on it.

Also, FYI, the factory tachs were cylinder specific. So you'd need a V8 factory tach for your 360. The easiest way to tell if it's a V8 tach is the redline will go to 5000 instead of 4500 for the I6 tachs.

I'm so pissed you didn't get the service you should have.

Matt

post #323 of 375 Old 12-21-2017, 04:04 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Well, the good news is the tach I sent to ISI was being configured for my 84CJ7 with the 258- which I'm keeping, so no issues there. And you are absolutely correct- the ISI modified tach has no selector switch, so once set for a six, always for the 6. Flexibility may be the ONE thing the Crown models have going for them, otherwise, not much else..

Funny thing, though, my brother has a 82 CJ8 Laredo that was upgraded to a 360 some years back (he farmed his build out, btw - I'm building my own!), and I was envious of his original clock and tach- but his original tach was for the 6-cyl and his RPMs were waaay off with the V8. Three months ago when this thread really got going, I found a nice working 8-cyl original tach on eBay, and traded him out for his 6-cyl model. Kicking myself for that now.... So, if all this falls through with ISI, I still have his old 6-cyl tach as a back up.

As for an 8-cyl tach for 360 in my Scrambler, I'll need to keep looking. However, I didn't realize there was a red-line difference between the 6 & 8, and will keep my eyes open for that.

Thanks for being pissed for me, but I'm over it. I'll pen a letter spelling out my expectations to accompany the gauges back to ISI later tonight, but nothing too harsh. They know I'm dissatisfied, and that will hopefully motivate them to fix this.

Meanwhile, made some progress identifying some machine shops! More in the other thread-

Hoover

post #324 of 375 Old 12-21-2017, 10:10 PM
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

Well dang it Hoov. I was waiting for this day before I sent my other gauges. Was going to pull the trigger next week and send them on but this has me thinking maybe not now. I may wait and see how they handle this problem for you first.

Still following your 360 thread but you guys got over my head real quick. I'm having to read posts more than once and some more than a few times.

Lance

Lance

1983 CJ7
Sherwood Green Metallic/Nutmeg Interior
4.0 I6
T-5/Dana 300
Dana 30/Model 20 with 4.10 gears
33/12.50/15 BFG's
post #325 of 375 Old 12-22-2017, 07:44 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKCJ View Post
Well dang it Hoov. I was waiting for this day before I sent my other gauges. Was going to pull the trigger next week and send them on but this has me thinking maybe not now. I may wait and see how they handle this problem for you first.

Still following your 360 thread but you guys got over my head real quick. I'm having to read posts more than once and some more than a few times.

Lance
Thanks, Lance. Let's see what happens. I mentioned this forum in my letter to ISI, and the fact that it's received nearly 11,000 views. I went on to say that it sure would be disappointing for my experience to tarnish the good work they've done and cause others to reconsider. Your statement above speaks exactly to that.

As for re-reading posts in the build thread- don't feel like the lone ranger there. I feel like I'm treading water only occasionally. Other times, all I see is a blurry view from the bottom! But I'm having fun, nonetheless.

Hoov

post #326 of 375 Old 12-22-2017, 08:53 AM
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Really sorry about your experience with ISI. I really hope they do right. If not they wont be getting anything else from me. I had planned to send my volt and oil gauge to them after the holidays, we will see.
Hoover7 likes this.

Ernie

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Every Loaf of bread is the tragic story of grains that could've become beer but didn't.
post #327 of 375 Old 01-22-2018, 06:37 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Hey fellas,
The saga continues... I received both gauges today (again) and wanted to update the thread. After opening the box and taking a first look, I decided to go out to the shop and retrieve an OEM clock and tachometer to compare to the refurbished gauges, and of course, that created a couple other questions as well as observations. Out of the gate, the clock looks really good, and the knob 'almost' makes it a complete package. And I would have been 100% happy had I not had another OEM clock to look at. But first, here's the front side by side view (and before anyone comments, I have no idea how they wound up identically set, but I'm taking it as a sign from above: Time for a drink)

img_4345.jpg

However, it got interesting when I took a look from the side. The rubber grommet (?) that the set knob rests against was not replaced, and leaves the knob extended well off the lens. Given that there is a gap around the set shaft through the lens, that would be an easy way for moisture to enter the face of the clock. Did any of you that had ISI refurb a clock see a similar issue? I would have never noticed it without my OEM clock. Perhaps I'm being picky, but feel it should be done right if you are purchasing a service.

img_4341.jpgimg_4342.jpg

As for the tach, well, there are bigger issues. Two major ones that I can see, and I'm betting you can, too.

img_4346.jpgimg_4347.jpg

However, on a positive note, I did get instructions on installation, which confirms that the new internals are set up just like a aftermarket crown tachometer. Aside from the needle pointing the wrong direction, and that I cannot mount the tach using the factory 'cup' given that the thin wire is coming out of the mounting screw hole, the needle is intact and is orange! And I also must give credit, they did a great job of re-applying the black 'border' around the margin of the lens - looks a lot better than it did before.

img_4348.jpgimg_4351.jpg

I spoke to [email protected] again this afternoon prior to closing time, and will be sending images via email to show them what I found. I'm still optimistic this will all get sorted out, but it appears my gauges (at least the tach) will be making the long haul back to IL. In spite of all this, I don't have one negative thing to say about their professionalism and apparent desire to make everything right.

If you guys have a second and can look at the adjustment knobs on your clocks for that grommet, I'd be appreciative-

Thanks,
Hoov

post #328 of 375 Old 01-22-2018, 06:50 PM
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

Hoov, my clock did not have that grommet when I sent it out so I didn't know that there should be one. Soo no mine didn't come back with one. You might be right about moisture being able to enter through the lens. I guess I will be looking for that grommet now.

Lance
Hoover7 likes this.

Lance

1983 CJ7
Sherwood Green Metallic/Nutmeg Interior
4.0 I6
T-5/Dana 300
Dana 30/Model 20 with 4.10 gears
33/12.50/15 BFG's
post #329 of 375 Old 01-23-2018, 03:45 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Hoover, my original clock that came in my 84' Renegade does not have the rubber grommet for the time change knob. I still have that same clock in my dash and replaced the faded clear cover a couple of years ago myself. The OEM clock I sent to ISI didn't have it either but the shaft and knob were missing to begin with.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #330 of 375 Old 01-23-2018, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

My clock had the grommet when I sent it to ISI, but I'm not sure if it came back with one. I'll have to check this afternoon when I return home. Hoov, it appears tachs are not ISI''s forte. Sorry for your continued troubles.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in