95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 371 Old 10-09-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

OEM Clock Restoration and Install

Hey guys,

I've been looking for a factory Quartz clock for a while, and finally pulled the trigger on one I found on eBay. I hope to document the restoration and install of it here.

It arrived today and appears in decent shape. No rust on the bezel or the housing. The lens isn't horribly scratched, but could use some polishing (suggestions on that are welcomed). The hands are a bit faded, but tolerable.

I have some concerns, however. First, I assume the button at 6 o'clock on the face is suppose to be used to the set the time, correct? When I pull the button out and try to turn it, it doesn't turn and the clock hands don't move. I'm pretty sure that's not correct. Can anyone confirm?

Second, it came with no wires. It does have 2 spade connectors on the back. Does anyone know where I can buy the connections necessary to plug into the factory harness behind the dash?

Finally, the light bulb and bulb receptacle is MIA. Any suggestions on a suitable replacement? Honestly, if I had noticed this one beforehand, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't turn into $90 mistake, but I guess that's the gamble you take when purchasing used items on eBay.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or information.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 04:56 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes, It should be able to set the time that way.

That does not bode well.

post #3 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 05:26 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Matt, I hope the clock you purchased is at least the Quartz version as they seem to be less problematic than the older version. And the quartz clock is very accurate.

The knob at the 6 o'clock position is for setting the time as John mentioned. The cover, if only scratched, will be hard to get back clear again. I tried several ways to clear my original yellowed cover with polishing compound for plastic, headlamp polish and good old tooth paste and still could not get it clear. The clock covers are made of ABS plastic and harmful UV rays from the sun yellowed it over time. Had to replace mine with a polycarbonate cover I made. shortcut here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...l#post10794261

Wiring for the clock was plug-n-play. A ground wire gets attached and the clock came with a fuse panel tap plug that pops into fuse panel on the 'clock' terminal. Somewhere on the the WWW, you can get fuse panel tap plugs but I found one at the junk yard off a Chevy for my radio when I broke the original one off.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #4 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Thanks guys,

Keith, yeah it's Quartz. I'd say this lens is more yellowed than scratched, too, so I'll replace it as you did, if I get the darn thing working.

For some reason I thought there was a dedicated factory harness for the clock, like the tach. Thanks for clarifying that it plugs directly to the fuse box.

John, the frozen adjustment knob and hands has me the most concerned. I'm hoping some lubrication might free things up, but I'm not optimistic. Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. I'll tear in to, today, and report what I figure out.

How about the light bulb and receptacle? It appears to mount in a 1/2" hole on the back of the housing. Any ideas where/what I could use there?

Matt

post #5 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 07:03 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Matt when I bought my Centec wiring harness it came with all new bulbs, such as what the gauges use. They may have a bulb for your clock as well. http://www.centechwire.com/Jeep-CJ-W...Harness-JP.htm

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #6 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 07:12 AM
cj401

If the clock was misrepresented in the Ebay listing, I'd contact the seller. If it's returnable, I would do so.
post #7 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 07:35 AM
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Matt, I needed a socket for the bulb on the back of a OEM tach I purchased and got one from J&W in Ca. jwjeep.com, they may have what you need.

Ernie

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 07:41 AM
rrekr
1986 CJ7 

Should be able to use 1/4" female spade terminals for the power and ground. The case is grounded thru the ground wire for the power ground wire(internally) and will let you use the same single wire light holder as the other gauges such as volt or oil pressure gauge. The owners manual says to use an 1892 bulb. Mine looks like a peehole in a snowbank with that setup. I've put led bulbs in it with little improvement. Be interesting to see what you come up with.
jeepdog571 likes this.
post #9 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

All great suggestions and info, guys. Thanks!!

The seller really didn't misrepresent this clock. His only description was "appears in decent shape", but he didn't claim it actually worked.

I'll either fix it, or break it for good. Man, there are some tiny parts in this thing!!

Matt

post #10 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 08:24 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Matt, when you have a moment, please post a few pictures! I also have an OEM clock and will be following your lead on this-

Hoover
mikeyboat likes this.

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #11 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 08:27 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

If it was me and your not leaning to keeping it all original, I'd look for a High output LED and wire some wires it and hold it in place with a foam or rubber plug.

Need to figure out which LED though as they are very directional.

Are you going to take it apart?

post #12 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hoover,

Will do. I have some errands to run this morning, but I hope to get back to it this afternoon.

I'm really not to sure what I can do to free the mechanism up on this thing, besides compressed air and maybe some light lubrication. I want to at least get the hands moving, by way of the adjustment knob, before I put some power to it. We'll see how it goes.

Matt

post #13 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 08:39 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I'll either fix it, or break it for good. Man, there are some tiny parts in this thing!!
It will take a bit of patience to even pry the bezel apart to remove the clear cover. Took me awhile to get it off and don't want to ever do that again.

I may have an extra polycarbonate cover that I made that you can have if you need it. I just have to make sure i have an extra laying around in my parts bin. It does not have the stepped edge of the OEM clock cover and is a 1/4" thick but works. Hard part is locating and drilling the hole for the adjustment knob and adding two small pins so it sits in the correct location of the housing. You'll see how it was made once you get it apart.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #14 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
If it was me and your not leaning to keeping it all original, I'd look for a High output LED and wire some wires it and hold it in place with a foam or rubber plug.

Need to figure out which LED though as they are very directional.

Are you going to take it apart?
Thanks John,

Yes, I'm gong to take it apart, but other than removing the housing to get to the guts (as in your pic), I'm not sure what I can do from there.

If I can get it working, I think the light will be easy enough to address.

Matt

post #15 of 371 Old 10-10-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Keith,

I have a sinking feeling someone has already torn into this thing, because the crimp on the back of the bezel isn't smooth like I'd expect from a factory crimp. It's kinda wavy.

Oh well, live and learn.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in