Nuts and bolts - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-11-2020, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
My83andMe
1983 CJ7 

Nuts and bolts

Hey all.
Finally beginning again after its sat too long.
Pulled D300 and T5 so wanting to replace all the hardware i can while im at it. Been searching for answers with no clear results.
Please help me out...
Size and grades for:
300 to T5?
T5 to bellhousing?
Bellhpusing to 258?
Skidplate to frame?
My head and eyes hurt from endless searching... any help is much appreciated.

I thank you and believe me my Jeep definatly thanks you cus otherwise I'd be turning a wrench with out a clue. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-11-2020, 07:59 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello
all the hardware that i have replaced with i have used grade 8 hardware. i would measure the hardware you took out and get new in grade 8. alot mine i bought for mine i bought at tractor supply. they have grade 8 and its sold by the pound. doesnt matter what sizes they are. also i have used a place in MASS called boltdepot.com that have good prices compared to buying in a hardware store or bagged ones.

oldschool
post #3 of 19 Old 05-11-2020, 09:32 PM
STJP
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by My83andMe View Post
Pulled D300 and T5 so wanting to replace all the hardware i can while im at it. Been searching for answers with no clear results.
Please help me out...
Size and grades for:
300 to T5?
T5 to bellhousing?
Bellhpusing to 258?
Skidplate to frame?
My head and eyes hurt from endless searching... any help is much appreciated.
So you can't use the bolts you took out and figure out the bolt sizes and threads? Really?

JS

post #4 of 19 Old 05-11-2020, 10:01 PM
Nor Cal CJ5

One of the best tools I ever got was a pitch gauge that came with a Tap & Die set I bought. Didn't much care before that what the bolt or nut pitch was as long as I could check with another nut or bolt. But the way the old nuts and bolts are on these jeeps, you need a pitch gauge to figure out what you need!
Kilrain likes this.

1972 CJ5 304 V8, 3 speed manual trans
post #5 of 19 Old 05-11-2020, 10:07 PM
Kilrain
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal CJ5 View Post
One of the best tools I ever got was a pitch gauge that came with a Tap & Die set I bought. Didn't much care before that what the bolt or nut pitch was as long as I could check with another nut or bolt. But the way the old nuts and bolts are on these jeeps, you need a pitch gauge to figure out what you need!
Been dealing with a leaky thermostat housing. Top bolt is a bolt, 1 1/2" long, 5/16", 18 pitch thread. Fair enough. Bottom is a stud...okay, weird but whatever. 5/16", 24 pitch thread...???...WHY? WTF? Who thought this made sense? Just weird stuff.

1979 Jeep CJ-5 Golden Eagle, Moroccan Buff, 258 L6, Howell FI, JeepAir A/C, T18 4 speed, Dana 20 TC
post #6 of 19 Old 05-11-2020, 10:42 PM
Nor Cal CJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrain View Post
Been dealing with a leaky thermostat housing. Top bolt is a bolt, 1 1/2" long, 5/16", 18 pitch thread. Fair enough. Bottom is a stud...okay, weird but whatever. 5/16", 24 pitch thread...???...WHY? WTF? Who thought this made sense? Just weird stuff.
Ever try to remove a stud from an intake manifold due to a leaky thermostat housing? One of my bolts is now a 3/8" x 1" x 18 pitch thread (drivers side).

I think the passenger side is a bolt and the drivers side is a stud originally.

If you need to re-tap, make sure you don't go thru the bottom of the stud pocket.

1972 CJ5 304 V8, 3 speed manual trans
post #7 of 19 Old 05-11-2020, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
My83andMe
1983 CJ7 

Sorry all, didnt quite get all the details the first time... my 7 year old needed some me time so i was a but rushed. Unfortunately i cant get back to the bolts to check for a while, sadly my jeep is in a storage unit about an hour and a half away. This was a hind sight and was hoping to get a bit of get them before heading back up my next trip. I hoped i would be able to find a simple set i could order and be done, but no such luck.
Nor Cal CJ5 likes this.

I thank you and believe me my Jeep definatly thanks you cus otherwise I'd be turning a wrench with out a clue. :)
post #8 of 19 Old 05-11-2020, 10:58 PM
Kilrain
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal CJ5 View Post
Ever try to remove a stud from an intake manifold due to a leaky thermostat housing? One of my bolts is now a 3/8" x 1" x 18 pitch thread (drivers side).

I think the passenger side is a bolt and the drivers side is a stud originally.

If you need to re-tap, make sure you don't go thru the bottom of the stud pocket.
I did an exhaust manifold stud on a Landcruiser 2F motor one time. Frakkin' mess. The stud was hard as diamonds, the head was soft as butter. Got it worked out but it was a fiasco.

Regarding my current Jeep, everything seems fine except the mating surfaces for the gasket.

1979 Jeep CJ-5 Golden Eagle, Moroccan Buff, 258 L6, Howell FI, JeepAir A/C, T18 4 speed, Dana 20 TC
post #9 of 19 Old 05-11-2020, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
My83andMe
1983 CJ7 

Side note, doin all of this with hand tools, in a storage unit that the jeep barely fits in to itself... a bit harder than I hoped. Believe me... i wish i had better and could simply grab them and make a quick store run. Its just not in my cards. I truly appreciate ya'lls understanding and help here.
Supraquick likes this.

post #10 of 19 Old 05-12-2020, 05:21 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Pulled D300 and T5 so wanting to replace all the hardware i can while im at it.
Are any bolts missing or damaged? Other than peace of mind, there is no real reason to replace the hardware unless you broke/lost a bolt. The nuts and bolts will literally last an eternity unless they were run loose, over torqued, or otherwise damaged.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #11 of 19 Old 05-12-2020, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
My83andMe
1983 CJ7 

Jeepdaddy,
300 to T5- corroded pretty bad, 1 missing
T5 to Bellhousing- 2 of the heads crumbled, 1 snapped but able to remove with vise grips
Bellhousing to block- top 3 missing, fml, the idiots at the shop that pulled motor when i had it rebuilt never put them in.
Skid to frame- not 1 single bolt matches, all different lengths and head sizes.

Its a mess, which is partly why im wanting to replace it all.

post #12 of 19 Old 05-12-2020, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
My83andMe
1983 CJ7 

Oldschool,
Thank you for the input on going all grade 8. That was my first thought, i just know grade 8 snaps where grade 5 will bend but still hold... figure id ask to see if one is recommended i. Spot X while the other is better used in spot Y.

post #13 of 19 Old 05-12-2020, 10:50 AM
thord
1986 CJ7 

I bought the standard and metric ones of this, it's sooooo helpful. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's always that random metric where you least expect it. Cheers
post #14 of 19 Old 05-12-2020, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
My83andMe
1983 CJ7 

Appreciate the posts, unfortunately i dont have access to measure the bolts without a 3 hour round trip, and agree, measuring them isnt a guarantee they were what was supposed to actually be there... which in all is why im bringing the question to the masses. Anyone out there know the specs... the info seems to be rather impossible to track down.

post #15 of 19 Old 05-12-2020, 05:56 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Jeepdaddy,
300 to T5- corroded pretty bad, 1 missing
T5 to Bellhousing- 2 of the heads crumbled, 1 snapped but able to remove with vise grips
Bellhousing to block- top 3 missing, fml, the idiots at the shop that pulled motor when i had it rebuilt never put them in.
Skid to frame- not 1 single bolt matches, all different lengths and head sizes.

Its a mess, which is partly why im wanting to replace it all.
Nope, makes sense now.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in