Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Noisy wipers linkages

1K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  agear 
#1 ·
So my wipers are noisy. Tried to upload a video but no dice. Neither blades are hitting the windshield and the windshield isn't flexing . What do you think ?

#2 ·
Here you go.

The pivots have those tabs on there so that would make a noise when it hits it.
But I think the noise is coming from area of the wiper motor itself. It's an aftermarket motor like crown.

#3 ·
After moving the motor to the right

#5 ·
They still seem pretty loud to me.

#6 ·
hello

do you have the wiperboy conversion that adds a little stroke to the wiper action? if you have the old motor you can compare the length of the arms on the aftermarket one compared to the original one. the longer the arm length the more throw the wiper will have resulting in hitting the stops harder and eventually breaking or bending something.

oldschool

#7 ·
Hello, I moved the motor toward the passenger side and I dont think its hitting the pivot stops. My wipers do a lot of chattering too. I went by my b.i.l..'s house and mine were maybe the same noise wise. I bought tensioners for them but they were way to tight and didnt help. I wish I had the factory motor..
No, dont have the wipeboy conversion yet because riptech wipeboy said in some cases they can make things worse.

#8 ·
hello
i think i see your problem. in the video when you stop it and go second by second you see that the drivers the stop tab actually hits against the stops of the wiper arm bushing. on both sides. then advance to see the passenger side one doesn't. then what i can see you notice that the stop tab on the passenger one looks quite a bit narrower then the one on the drivers side. pause at about 3 seconds and 13 seconds on the video. when you moved the motor you probably made it so it wasnt hitting one side of the bushing as hard. do you have another driverside wiper arm pivot assy. because your looks like that arm that the rods attach to is loose from hitting. either way i would measure the stop tabs on both pivots. then i would narrow the one on the drivers side to match the passenger side. by narrowing the stop tab it wont hit the pivot bushing stops. personally i dont know why they really put stops in because the arm length on the motor controls the amount of throw the wiper arm will have. that is how the wiperboy mod works is he changes the center distance between the motor shaft and the pin that connects the linkage. the shorter the distance the shorter the wiper throw, the longer distance the longer the wiper throw.

oldschool

#10 ·
hello
i think i see your problem. in the video when you stop it and go second by second you see that the drivers the stop tab actually hits against the stops of the wiper arm bushing. on both sides. then advance to see the passenger side one doesn't. then what i can see you notice that the stop tab on the passenger one looks quite a bit narrower then the one on the drivers side. pause at about 3 seconds and 13 seconds on the video. when you moved the motor you probably made it so it wasnt hitting one side of the bushing as hard. do you have another driverside wiper arm pivot assy. because your looks like that arm that the rods attach to is loose from hitting. either way i would measure the stop tabs on both pivots. then i would narrow the one on the drivers side to match the passenger side. by narrowing the stop tab it wont hit the pivot bushing stops. personally i dont know why they really put stops in because the arm length on the motor controls the amount of throw the wiper arm will have. that is how the wiperboy mod works is he changes the center distance between the motor shaft and the pin that connects the linkage. the shorter the distance the shorter the wiper throw, the longer distance the longer the wiper throw.

oldschool
Yea I filed the tab done a bit. It doesnt sound bad on low but on high it sounds rickety. If you look at the 2nd video it doesnt look like its hitting to me
Your wipers sound normal, to me. I have the factory motor on mine, and it sounds exactly like yours.

I'd find something else to fret about.

Matt
Thsts good to hear. I'm worried less by it now but they are still choppy on high. I ordered some sure wipes to.see if that will help.

#21 ·
Your wipers sound normal, to me. I have the factory motor on mine, and it sounds exactly like yours.

I'd find something else to fret about.

Matt
Hey Matt, you're the original owner or got from a family member ? Just wondering if its as n untouched w. frame ,motor , pivots. and linkages ? If yours is untouched and sounds like that will put me at ease a little

My noise isn't the wipers themselves it's coming from in front of the wiper motor in the frame . Like theres slop in the link and when it changes directions it knocks .

#11 ·
The sure wipes didnt help. I'll see if the arm is twisted

#16 ·
Maybe they've reached a wear point. You probably thought of that

#13 ·
The noise is normal for the sound of the link arms going back and forth. But what is not normal is the drivers side hitting the stop and the passenger side is not. That's the banging noise you hear and you have an error in the geometry of the links themselves or the center-to-center holes of the wiper blade pivot points.

Do you have anything replaced that was not original OEM Jeep? Like windshield frame and link arms of the wiper system? Motor will be OK if replaced as it only goes around and around but what matters is how it is mounted in relation to the center points of the link arms.

#15 ·
The noise is normal for the sound of the link arms going back and forth. But what is not normal is the drivers side hitting the stop and the passenger side is not. That's the banging noise you hear and you have an error in the geometry of the links themselves or the center-to-center holes of the wiper blade pivot points.

Do you have anything replaced that was not original OEM Jeep? Like windshield frame and link arms of the wiper system? Motor will be OK if replaced as it only goes around and around but what matters is how it is mounted in relation to the center points of the link arms.
The w. Frame has been replaced . One of the pivots and the linkage that runs from the drivers side pivot to the motor has been replaced and the motor itself.
I thought if you looked carefully at the video the whole time when its showing the driversude pivot that I change perspective a little and it doesnt look like its hitting if you zoom in on the 2nd video. But just now watching it again it does look like that bottom edge could be hitting the tab. Interesting about the geometry. Only thing I can think of is to compare to factory.

He said he moved the motor to the right. I'm not sure how far you can move it since the mount holes are fixed. Something isn't making sense to me, but I'm no expert, that's for sure.

I only turn my wipers on if it rains, and even then I don't run them constantly. I kinda feel like they only have so many swipes per lifespan, before something breaks.
yeah I feel the same way. Lol

The holes are a little bit bigger than my screws so I was able to move it over like 1/16th or 8th of an inch to the right

#14 ·
He said he moved the motor to the right. I’m not sure how far you can move it since the mount holes are fixed. Something isn’t making sense to me, but I’m no expert, that’s for sure.

I only turn my wipers on if it rains, and even then I don’t run them constantly. I kinda feel like they only have so many swipes per lifespan, before something breaks.

Attachments

#17 ·
I just went out there and checked and it doesnt look like the motor is staying in place.when working I'll double check tightness

Update I was able to tighten it still see it move a very very very small amount. What about moving the short arm that attaches the motor to 5he drivers side linkage ?

Update I ground down the tab on the pivot so it's not contacting there anymore. Noise wise I csnt say its quiter

#19 ·
Sounds like a project for tomorrow . I'll probably have a question or 2 though

#22 ·
Its binding where the linkage connects to the tiny linkage that connects to the motor. I can see the c clip stop spinning when it clunks

#25 ·
Guys I ended up breaking my wiper motor and replaced it with a crown unit. The stop tab on the pivot is necessary it keeps the wiper from sliding off the glass over the seal . I had a spare I put on .
My wipers are quiet as a mouse now.

#27 ·
The wipers were not parking right so I tried to reposition the short arm and tried to hammer it down tight on the splines. Unfortunately the rod I was hammering it on busted right out through the pot metal on the back. LOL busted the.housing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.