Noisy wipers linkages - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 05-25-2020, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

So my wipers are noisy. Tried to upload a video but no dice. Neither blades are hitting the windshield and the windshield isn't flexing . What do you think ?

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-25-2020, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxzMeMcvJe8

The pivots have those tabs on there so that would make a noise when it hits it.
But I think the noise is coming from area of the wiper motor itself. It's an aftermarket motor like crown.

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
post #3 of 27 Old 05-25-2020, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

After moving the motor to the right

https://youtu.be/CEEnGAvqRZk

post #4 of 27 Old 05-25-2020, 06:01 PM
DV915

1976 CJ7 

My wipers sound just like yours, I thought it was a normal noise?
post #5 of 27 Old 05-26-2020, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

They still seem pretty loud to me.

post #6 of 27 Old 05-26-2020, 07:15 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello

do you have the wiperboy conversion that adds a little stroke to the wiper action? if you have the old motor you can compare the length of the arms on the aftermarket one compared to the original one. the longer the arm length the more throw the wiper will have resulting in hitting the stops harder and eventually breaking or bending something.

oldschool
post #7 of 27 Old 05-26-2020, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello

do you have the wiperboy conversion that adds a little stroke to the wiper action? if you have the old motor you can compare the length of the arms on the aftermarket one compared to the original one. the longer the arm length the more throw the wiper will have resulting in hitting the stops harder and eventually breaking or bending something.

oldschool
Hello, I moved the motor toward the passenger side and I dont think its hitting the pivot stops. My wipers do a lot of chattering too. I went by my b.i.l..'s house and mine were maybe the same noise wise. I bought tensioners for them but they were way to tight and didnt help. I wish I had the factory motor..
No, dont have the wipeboy conversion yet because riptech wipeboy said in some cases they can make things worse.

post #8 of 27 Old 05-26-2020, 09:10 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello
i think i see your problem. in the video when you stop it and go second by second you see that the drivers the stop tab actually hits against the stops of the wiper arm bushing. on both sides. then advance to see the passenger side one doesn't. then what i can see you notice that the stop tab on the passenger one looks quite a bit narrower then the one on the drivers side. pause at about 3 seconds and 13 seconds on the video. when you moved the motor you probably made it so it wasnt hitting one side of the bushing as hard. do you have another driverside wiper arm pivot assy. because your looks like that arm that the rods attach to is loose from hitting. either way i would measure the stop tabs on both pivots. then i would narrow the one on the drivers side to match the passenger side. by narrowing the stop tab it wont hit the pivot bushing stops. personally i dont know why they really put stops in because the arm length on the motor controls the amount of throw the wiper arm will have. that is how the wiperboy mod works is he changes the center distance between the motor shaft and the pin that connects the linkage. the shorter the distance the shorter the wiper throw, the longer distance the longer the wiper throw.

oldschool
post #9 of 27 Old 05-26-2020, 09:17 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Your wipers sound normal, to me. I have the factory motor on mine, and it sounds exactly like yours.

I'd find something else to fret about.

Matt
bob4703 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 27 Old 05-26-2020, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello
i think i see your problem. in the video when you stop it and go second by second you see that the drivers the stop tab actually hits against the stops of the wiper arm bushing. on both sides. then advance to see the passenger side one doesn't. then what i can see you notice that the stop tab on the passenger one looks quite a bit narrower then the one on the drivers side. pause at about 3 seconds and 13 seconds on the video. when you moved the motor you probably made it so it wasnt hitting one side of the bushing as hard. do you have another driverside wiper arm pivot assy. because your looks like that arm that the rods attach to is loose from hitting. either way i would measure the stop tabs on both pivots. then i would narrow the one on the drivers side to match the passenger side. by narrowing the stop tab it wont hit the pivot bushing stops. personally i dont know why they really put stops in because the arm length on the motor controls the amount of throw the wiper arm will have. that is how the wiperboy mod works is he changes the center distance between the motor shaft and the pin that connects the linkage. the shorter the distance the shorter the wiper throw, the longer distance the longer the wiper throw.

oldschool
Yea I filed the tab done a bit. It doesnt sound bad on low but on high it sounds rickety. If you look at the 2nd video it doesnt look like its hitting to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Your wipers sound normal, to me. I have the factory motor on mine, and it sounds exactly like yours.

I'd find something else to fret about.

Matt
Thsts good to hear. I'm worried less by it now but they are still choppy on high. I ordered some sure wipes to.see if that will help.

post #11 of 27 Old 05-27-2020, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

The sure wipes didnt help. I'll see if the arm is twisted

post #12 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 02:52 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Mine sounds the same but I swear they weren't always that noisy.
post #13 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 04:15 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

The noise is normal for the sound of the link arms going back and forth. But what is not normal is the drivers side hitting the stop and the passenger side is not. That's the banging noise you hear and you have an error in the geometry of the links themselves or the center-to-center holes of the wiper blade pivot points.

Do you have anything replaced that was not original OEM Jeep? Like windshield frame and link arms of the wiper system? Motor will be OK if replaced as it only goes around and around but what matters is how it is mounted in relation to the center points of the link arms.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #14 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 11:33 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
He said he moved the motor to the right. Iím not sure how far you can move it since the mount holes are fixed. Something isnít making sense to me, but Iím no expert, thatís for sure.

I only turn my wipers on if it rains, and even then I donít run them constantly. I kinda feel like they only have so many swipes per lifespan, before something breaks.
Attached Thumbnails
1DE3F714-B1D0-4DDB-96EA-F0C5E4DD4C3A.jpg  

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #15 of 27 Old 05-28-2020, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
The noise is normal for the sound of the link arms going back and forth. But what is not normal is the drivers side hitting the stop and the passenger side is not. That's the banging noise you hear and you have an error in the geometry of the links themselves or the center-to-center holes of the wiper blade pivot points.

Do you have anything replaced that was not original OEM Jeep? Like windshield frame and link arms of the wiper system? Motor will be OK if replaced as it only goes around and around but what matters is how it is mounted in relation to the center points of the link arms.
The w. Frame has been replaced . One of the pivots and the linkage that runs from the drivers side pivot to the motor has been replaced and the motor itself.
I thought if you looked carefully at the video the whole time when its showing the driversude pivot that I change perspective a little and it doesnt look like its hitting if you zoom in on the 2nd video. But just now watching it again it does look like that bottom edge could be hitting the tab. Interesting about the geometry. Only thing I can think of is to compare to factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
He said he moved the motor to the right. I’m not sure how far you can move it since the mount holes are fixed. Something isn’t making sense to me, but I’m no expert, that’s for sure.

I only turn my wipers on if it rains, and even then I don’t run them constantly. I kinda feel like they only have so many swipes per lifespan, before something breaks.
yeah I feel the same way. Lol

The holes are a little bit bigger than my screws so I was able to move it over like 1/16th or 8th of an inch to the right

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in