post #1 of 4 Old 08-23-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
TexasMan
1984 CJ7 

No Brake Lights...84 CJ7

Hello Yall,
I recently realized my brake lights were not coming on! First a few facts:

1- Turn signal lights work just fine
2- Night lights work just fine
3- The Hazard does NOT activate any lights!!!
4- The jeep does not have power brakes, so no master brake cylinder

So far I have done the following:
1- Replaced the brake light switch under the dashboard
2- Replaced both light bulbs
3- Cleaned the electric connector from the harness to the switch
4- Inspected light bulb sockets for corrosion
5- Inspected the wiring leading to the brake light housing
6- I could not find a fuse labeled "Brakes" on the fuse panel, so unless it is somewhere else, I guess i don't have a fuse

What am I missing? What else can I look into and test? Does the hazard switch (flasher) have anything to do with brake lights not coming on...Especially since the hazard switch doesn't seem to work?

Thank you in advance for your tips

84 CJ7 (AMC304/TH400/Dana 300)
"I nicknamed My jeep "Bobcat", and it bit me in the rear"
Tampa, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-23-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
TexasMan
1984 CJ7 

Update...Issue resolved!!!

This was a quick one...Here is how I fixed it:

Since the flasher was not working, I decided to check the fuse for the flasher (because I was not sure whether a bad flasher would affect the brake lights). At first look, the fuse looked good, but when I took a close look, it was clear the fuse was bad. I replaced the fuse and:

1- The flasher started working
2- The brake lights started working

So in conclusion, the hazard fuse is also the brake light fuse! A good lesson learned today!

Thank you

84 CJ7 (AMC304/TH400/Dana 300)
"I nicknamed My jeep "Bobcat", and it bit me in the rear"
Tampa, FL
post #3 of 4 Old 08-28-2017, 08:26 PM
eyedoc
1959 CJ5 

I had the exact same issue with my '59 CJ5 I just bought. It ended up being a mismatched connection between the brake signal module on the master cylinder and the light switch. There are somewhere around 12 or so connections on that light switch and some of the poles are continuous power and some are switched to active when the lights are on. I changed the pole attachment and it fixed it right up.

Of course, I had to sit there with my foot on the brake, one hand on the light switch module and the other holding the wire touching the various connection poles until they came on with my father-in-law behind me giving me a yay or nay!

1959 Willy's CJ5

post #4 of 4 Old 10-17-2020, 06:06 AM
jefflanglois
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMan View Post
Update...Issue resolved!!!

This was a quick one...Here is how I fixed it:

Since the flasher was not working, I decided to check the fuse for the flasher (because I was not sure whether a bad flasher would affect the brake lights). At first look, the fuse looked good, but when I took a close look, it was clear the fuse was bad. I replaced the fuse and:

1- The flasher started working
2- The brake lights started working

So in conclusion, the hazard fuse is also the brake light fuse! A good lesson learned today!

Thank you
Was swapping out the Master Cylinder and Brake booster on my 86 CJ-7 I-6. After putting it together and taking it apart several times (linkage was wrong, hinge upside down (needs to go on the bottom now to clear throttle), etc.) the brake lights didn't work. Sigh. Started trying to figure out the problem. Brake lights fuze? No. Loose wire? No. Ground loose? No. Now I'm taking the dashboard off, pulled the seat out so I can get under there, checked everything I could think of, and needless to say, getting very frustrated, I came inside to cool off and see if I could find anything on it. That's when I came across your note about shared fuze with the hazard lights. Checked that fuze, put a new one in, and voila! Just wanted to say thanks. If I hadn't seen your comment, I don't know how long it would've taken to figure that out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in