New steering shaft will not fit - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-21-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
TroublesomeDuo
1979 CJ5 

New steering shaft will not fit

I recently purchased a 1979 CJ5 as my first project jeep, so I am new to a lot of this. It has the original 258 w/ 3-speed transmission and has a fiberglass tub. The suspension has recently been replaced. That included all leaf springs and shocks. The seller also informed me that he had the frame replaced about 7 years ago.

Now for the problem I am running into... What appears to be the original steering shaft had a ton of play in it and the universal joint where it connects to the steering shaft was completely shot. I ordered an HD steering shaft from Quadratec that should have been a direct replacement. When the steering shaft arrived, it was about 3/4" too long. The original steering shaft was roughly 33.5" long with a universal joint at one end and a cup assembly where it connects to the steering box. The new one was about 34.25" long with universal joints at both ends and a solid shaft. I've contacted Quadratec and they told me the one I ordered is supposed to be the correct fit for a 1979 CJ5.

Is it possible that the new frame threw off some of the measurements? The seller did tell me the frame was from a truck but I do not recall exactly which frame.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-21-2019, 07:45 AM
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
All you have to do is push one end of the shaft to shorten it a little

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-21-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
TroublesomeDuo
1979 CJ5 

Neither end will move. According to Quadratec, this shaft does not telescope at all.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-21-2019, 08:06 PM
skizriz

1978 CJ7 

It telescopes. Clamp it in a vice, grease it up, and work it in and out with a block of wood and a BFH untill it loosens up.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-21-2019, 08:43 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello
a question if dont mind asking. and not trying to insult at all.

1) there are 2 shafts available at least borgeson. one is for power steering and the other is for manual steering. they are different lengths. the reason iknow this is i have a extra one for manual steering. when i picked up the cj7 last year it came with it because the PO didnt know there was 2 when ordering from quadratec. which one did you order?
2) you said it has a fiberglass body. there the question was how carefull was the PO at locating the hole for the column in the fire wall. its possible off to much it could change the length needed for the lower shaft.

the one you have is a 2 piece shaft which means it should telescope. that is for safety so it collapses in a front end hit. the question is there a pin that limits its movement. the borgeson i have does under its boot. worst thing is you have to buy the 3 parts and make your own lower shaft. the upper and lower joints and a telescoping shaft between the two. that is what i did for my old cj5 when i adder power steering,and a universal column.

oldschoolcj5
post #6 of 6 Old 09-22-2019, 03:40 AM
jwhite_00

Odschool is correct. The shaft is two-piece and it is supposed to collapse in an accident so that the driver doesn't get speared. The OEM shaft usually has plastic pins through the two halves so that it can't telescope on its own. I've had to adjust shaft length on a couple of projects over the years and it was a simple as drilling out the plastic pins.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in