New radiator/electric fan recommendation for 79 CJ5, 258 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-26-2018, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
southernfool

1979 CJ5 

New radiator/electric fan recommendation for 79 CJ5, 258

During a recent drive in my 79 CJ5 the engine fan destroyed my radiator after going over a bump. I'm working with a local shop to see how/why that happened, but in the meantime I need a new radiator and fan. They are recommending that I take this opportunity to pair the new radiator with an electric fan. I've read a few threads on this subject and understand some of the pros and cons, so I'm not really trying to open up a new debate about engine powered vs. electric fans. What I'd like to know is for those of you who are running a new radiator and electric fan setup (and are satisfied) what would you recommend for my CJ5?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-26-2018, 10:54 AM
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Did the radiator hit the fan, or the fan hit the radiator? Worn out motor & transmission mounts can allow the drivetrain to move. I have also seen a radiator fall backwards into the fan. I think the radiator bolts fell out on that one.

I have no experience with electric fans though

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal
post #3 of 10 Old 06-26-2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
southernfool

1979 CJ5 

The fan hit the radiator, and the leading theory is that it was due to worn out mounts...

post #4 of 10 Old 06-26-2018, 11:06 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

What fan was on there? Factory or aftermarket flex with possibly too long of a spacer? If factory, I would stay with what you have, replace the motor and trans mounts and make sure that the grill shell is adjusted properly to keep the fan out of the radiator in the future.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #5 of 10 Old 06-26-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
southernfool

1979 CJ5 

Thanks. Factory fan I believe. As you suggested I'll be inspecting and possibly replacing the motor and trans mounts. However, I'm still looking for recommendations on a radiator and electric fan pairing from anyone with a similar setup that has been happy with it. I understand the idea about staying with the current fan, but want to see what configurations satisfied CJers have on the electric fan side.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-27-2018, 04:14 PM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

I've had a fan eat the radiator. It happened after being high centered on a rock, and winched myself off, forward, which pushed the factory skidplate up about an inch. I noticed the gearshift was at a different height, and my gearshift boot was pulled tight. Didn't think much else about it until climbing a hill and revving the engine pretty good- and the fan ate the radiator.

I've used the flexalite dual electric fan setup on a stock CJ radiator, and it worked great. I did have a problem once, went into water about headlight depth. A stick worked its way into one of the fans, locked it up, which ruined that fan and popped the fuse. I only noticed it when the Jeep's temp started to climb. I had wired both fans to the same fuse. I replaced the bad fan motor and wired each fan separately, each with it's own fuse. Then, even if one fan failed, the other would provide some cooling.

Turning the fans off during a deep water crossing is a good idea to. This can be done with electric fans, whether using a wired in switch, or just pulling the fuse(s)(which I failed to do). Stock clutch fans can be a little forgiving in water, since they can free wheel. A solid "flex" type fan will act like a propeller in water.

I would still be using the flexalite dual CJ fan setup, but I went to an aftermarket aluminum radiator and it does not fit. So if you plan to use an aftermarket design radiator, be aware there may be fitment issues. None whatsoever with the factory radiator.

I was running a swapped in 4.0 when this happened. If running a factory 258 or 4.0, or even an AMC V8, I would give the flexalite dual fan setup a thumbs up. I ran it off a thermal switch mounted in the water neck. The fan would cycle on and off regularly, which told me it had plenty of cooling capacity, as opposed to running constantly.

With my swapped in 5.3, I run the flexalite aluminum radiator and fan setup, #51168LS. Once warmed up and working hard off-road, it's barely enough and runs almost constantly. In fact, I added an engine oil cooler to take some of the cooling load off the radiator. At road speeds it hardly runs at all, airflow is enough.

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" SSTs on beadlocks
post #7 of 10 Old 06-27-2018, 04:44 PM
SteveOCJ5
1981 CJ5 

I used a Champion 3 core and dual fan electric fan setup from Radiatorsforless. I have a SBC setup in my CJ5.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 Old 06-27-2018, 04:46 PM
SteveOCJ5
1981 CJ5 

Here's a different angle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 Old 06-27-2018, 05:08 PM
TIPPEDITOVER
Brakes are for quitters

1978 CJ5 

Electric fan and radiator is only the beginning of parts to purchase for a conversion in that direction. Most important part in an electric fan conversion is how you plan to control it AND power it. Cheapest control option is the $32 mechanical controller like in the pic. I've used one. It works. Not as precise as a digital controller, but effective. No digital electronics to fail, but plenty other ways to fail. Aside from the controller, you'll need relays and wiring.

Now for the fancypants way to control it which will cost more but not break the bank. There are plenty of stand alone digital controllers. I like this one.

Click this>Dakota Digital

Electric fan conversions often leave an owner with a less than satisfied result. Some report not enough cooling. I had a Dodge Stratus dual fan setup in my SBC powered Jeep for awhile. Was using a 3 row brass radiator. Worked great, but the fans did run all the time while on the trail, never stopped. I never overheated, but rode the edge of it always. I went back to mechanical after that. Nothing moves more air than a mechanical fan. Then I learned mechanical fans steal anywhere from 20-30 hp and I want that back so I've gone electric again. This time a Spal fan and 3 row aluminum radiator with the engine ECU controlling the fan. I'll report how it goes once I've got some high elevation trail time on it later this summer. I anticipate a better experience than before.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-17-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
southernfool

1979 CJ5 

Thanks all for the pictures and responses. I thought I'd share what ended up happening with my radiator replacement. I bought a radiator/fan combo on Amazon (Primecooling 3 Row Aluminum Radiator + Fan (12 Inches Dia.) w/ Shroud for Jeep CJ5 CJ6 CJ7, CJ Series 1972-86, CC583FS). It confirmed it would fit my CJ5, although just a day or two after I bought it another reviewer with a CJ5 posted comments about how it didn't fit. Timing is everything! Well, it didn't end up having enough clearance to fit my CJ either, so I ended up having to mount the fans in front of the radiator without the shroud and switch them to push the air. I was irritated by the change in plans and don't really like seeing two fans when looking at the front of my grille, though no one else likely notices. I also bought a control module for the fan (Flex-a-lite 31165 Variable Speed Control Module) which is wonderful but probably overkill for the fans that I bought. My temperature is fine and I only notice the fans running after I shut the Jeep off and I can hear them for another 30 seconds or so. I can't say that I've noticed any extra horse power from the change. Anyway, like most things with my CJ it's been a real learning experience! I'm just happy to have it back on the road for the summer.

Tags
cj5 , electric fan , radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in