New potential CJ owner - a few questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-24-2020, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
BMWFan

New potential CJ owner - a few questions

Hello,
I have the opportunity to buy a CJ. It's a 1973 CJ5 and has a 6-cyl and automatic. I'm not sure which engine it is. There are a few things missing (a tail light, the dash could use some re-working, maybe go through the wiring). It has an aftermarket fuel tank and needs a fuel pump that mounts in the tank - thus, I don't know the condition of the engine/transmission. The hard-top seems to be just sitting there and not secure, but I suspect all the fiberglass was purchased at the same time from the same manufacturer. One drawback - it's bright yellow.

I'd be buying the Jeep from my son, who bought it from a co-worker. The co-worker had it for a long time.

It's not been driven for a number of years. The frame and underbody is pretty rust-free. The body is a fiberglass replacement. I think the hood and front grille might still be metal.

I checked Craigslist for pricing and see that this era can go for anywhere from $5000, to $20k in perfect shape. Those all had original bodies. I'm not sure how the fiberglass would come into play on the value. I'm thinking about buying it to re-sell if I can make a good profit. Otherwise, buy it to drive. Don't know what the current value or potential value might be.

Any suggestions? Opinions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-24-2020, 01:33 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

first should let you know there really is no making a profit on a cj's. kieths is one of the best looking ones i have seen pics of. very much the closes thing to one that roll off the factory floor. if you put all the hours he has in it. very very few will pay that much or can. the owners of them are mostly at least i am a fanatic for old jeeps. they dont have any of the features now considered a must have.

one thing is to 72-75 are known as the intermediate years. 55-71 alot of aftermarket support,76-86 also alot of aftermarket support. they are alot of older cj5 parts that willys used since 55 and a mix of newer parts. BUT there are some things that is are only fit those couple of years. 72-75 not so much aftermarket support. still good jeeps but somethings harder to find or you will be making.

dont know about the engine but i can tell you the transmission is not a factory thing. no cj5's came with a automatic. people have put a turbo350 in. guessing they prob installed with a chevy v6 to make it short enough to fit a driveshaft.

im not a fiberglass body person. if you have one i would make a good cage for it and attach the seats and belts to the cage. i have seen a couple old corvettes shred into a bunch of splinters in a good accident.

just a few things about what you are saying that is. if you love cj's have fun building it.

oldschool
post #3 of 17 Old 05-24-2020, 01:54 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Don't know what the current value or potential value might be.
Any suggestions? Opinions?
If you want any real opinion, you will have to post some pictures to give us an idea of what the Jeep actually looks like and how it is put together. You are also going to have to tell us where you live to give us an idea of the market.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

post #4 of 17 Old 05-24-2020, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
BMWFan

I don't want to spend a lot of money fixing it up. Mainly get it drivable again and clean up some of the mess/wiring/dash/stuff.

Since the engine/trans have been replaced, I suspect it's a 258.
I'm in Minnesota.
I can get it for $2500 to $3000 as is.

Here are some pictures. Note - it doesn't have those wheels/tires on it any longer.
There is also a fiberglass top (not pictured)
Attached Thumbnails
-4182487984292844163.jpg   7044526163680376086.jpg   5795406572351701287.jpg   -2982505873649423782.jpg   -2747225674847572716.jpg  

post #5 of 17 Old 05-24-2020, 05:41 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello
engine could be a 258 or a 232. both are torque engines. same family of engines. only the block number will tell you which one. when i had my 74 i used a basic hotrod 12 circuit harness. it gives all the basic electrical that a jeep had and is cheap. the dash is a 76 and up dash. looks like they have installed the column like a 76 and up. from a automatic cj7. if the rear axle has a diamond kind of shape cover its prob a dana 44. that is what they used in 75. if the cover is round then its a amc20 from a 76 and up. also if you look under the frame and the ladder frame is the same width in the back as the front of about 29". also a 75 and earlier were a open c channel frame. they didnt rot but due to all the flexing they could do would crack. the main places i fixed my old 74 were around the shackle hangers. the lower flange of the frame on my old one were cracked. i ground open some and welded then boxed in the ends where the shackle hangers are riveted to. i also added a small piece to box where the spring hangers in the middle of the frame were. there were a couple of articles about fixing those years ago. the windshield frame looks like a 76 and later. because the 74 i had the windshield motor was mounted on the front side of the windshield. there are some of the things you will have to figure out what you have to make easier when you have to get parts.

oldschool
post #6 of 17 Old 05-24-2020, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
BMWFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello
engine could be a 258 or a 232. both are torque engines. same family of engines. only the block number will tell you which one. when i had my 74 i used a basic hotrod 12 circuit harness. it gives all the basic electrical that a jeep had and is cheap. the dash is a 76 and up dash. looks like they have installed the column like a 76 and up. from a automatic cj7. if the rear axle has a diamond kind of shape cover its prob a dana 44. that is what they used in 75. if the cover is round then its a amc20 from a 76 and up. also if you look under the frame and the ladder frame is the same width in the back as the front of about 29". also a 75 and earlier were a open c channel frame. they didnt rot but due to all the flexing they could do would crack. the main places i fixed my old 74 were around the shackle hangers. the lower flange of the frame on my old one were cracked. i ground open some and welded then boxed in the ends where the shackle hangers are riveted to. i also added a small piece to box where the spring hangers in the middle of the frame were. there were a couple of articles about fixing those years ago. the windshield frame looks like a 76 and later. because the 74 i had the windshield motor was mounted on the front side of the windshield. there are some of the things you will have to figure out what you have to make easier when you have to get parts.

oldschool
I'm not sure of all the details you mention. Maybe I will go and check it out more tomorrow.
Do you think it's worth paying $2500/3000 for it?
Get it road-worthy and drive it or sell it for any type of profit?
post #7 of 17 Old 05-24-2020, 07:57 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

The frame looks to be pre 76 (hard to see), however, the body and steering all are 76 and later. Undercarrage photo's woiuld be a boon, as the rear driveline length may be an issue.

How much did you kid pay for it?

I am not a fan of fiberglass bodies, but from what I can see of the rig, $2500 seems to be a good price.

Chesty Puller
post #8 of 17 Old 05-25-2020, 02:47 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

i have dragged worse home.

It has no door hinges or footman loops, probably never had doors on the fibreglass tub (you did not mention doors) or a soft top. You will have to decide whether to market it as a waterproof vehicle or an open rig. Bikini tops are cheap and can sell a Jeep easy in summer.

There is no spare wheel carrier.

Apart from that it looks like a good buy if you like fibreglass, I am more a steel guy but for the right price it is a Jeep,

It is not running, a bitsa and not original, needs some work (I can see a grand of work, before you find stuff is broken or the tyres are rotten). Paint looks OK, which is a major cost in rebuilding a Jeep.

As you are taking a risk on the other stuff I would not pay more than 2500, but it depends on your local market. When it is complete it would be a fun Jeep but not original, what do you say, 5000?

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #9 of 17 Old 05-25-2020, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
BMWFan

Here are some more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
2705727102663490690.jpg   8236699962338183356.jpg   628487842580526226.jpg  
post #10 of 17 Old 05-25-2020, 03:19 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

My honest opinion is to pass on it. It's had some tell tail signs of shoddy work and you have no idea where that ends. One example is the lift blocks welded to the frame that the spring mounts attach. That "workmanship" likely extends into the rest of the Jeep. I can imagine allot that needs to be corrected to make it a safe dependable Jeep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-25-2020, 03:38 PM
hbar
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
My honest opinion is to pass on it. It's had some tell tail signs of shoddy work and you have no idea where that ends. One example is the lift blocks welded to the frame that the spring mounts attach. That "workmanship" likely extends into the rest of the Jeep. I can imagine allot that needs to be corrected to make it a safe dependable Jeep.
On the other hand he shim'd the axles to get the correct pinion angle. \_(ツ)_/

I paid $2200 for a much bigger hunk of junk, and I would trade mine for that one right now, no questions asked.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-25-2020, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
BMWFan

Am I being unrealistic that if I pay $2500, do the work needed to get it driveable (mount fuel tank, install fuel pump, make sure electrical, brakes and drivetrain is OK, mount the top, etc.), that I might be able to get $5k for it?
I'm trying to help out my kid, but don't want to lose money either.
I've never been big into off-roading myself. But you never know, it might just scratch that itch and I'd keep it.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-25-2020, 04:55 PM
hbar
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFan View Post
Am I being unrealistic that if I pay $2500, do the work needed to get it driveable (mount fuel tank, install fuel pump, make sure electrical, brakes and drivetrain is OK, mount the top, etc.), that I might be able to get $5k for it?
I'm trying to help out my kid, but don't want to lose money either.
I've never been big into off-roading myself. But you never know, it might just scratch that itch and I'd keep it.
Getting $5k for a CJ is 100% doable. The trick is how much time & money it will cost you to get it there. Remember, if it were already a $5k jeep, it would either be sold already or you'd be out $5k, not $2500. I guess shop CJ's in that price range and see what they have that you don't. If he simply has it priced to move, and the powertrain is in good shape, it works in your favor. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a fiberglass body, especially after my experience with all the rust. Based on the wiring I see in the engine compartment, it doesn't appear the seller spung for a Painless harness. And we've seen Bubba's work at the spring mount under the frame... And if you have state inspections you need to know what work needs to be done to pass that. But I'd be most concerned with the powertrain. You can't test it, and unless you can rebuild it yourself or have a known running engine/trans/t-case. you can drop in, it's a high risk purchase imho.

You also said the wheels & tires aren't what is pictured. If you hope to turn a profit, you've got $2499 to do what is needed, and wheels and tires will go a long way toward a quick turn on CL, but it will eat half your margin, which means everything else has to go really well. Most people here are going to frown on a quick flip with chrome and tires, but that's reality. You just need one buyer with cash and not a lot of knowledge.

But every single person here is way upside down on their jeep. Just know that. And you have to want to wrench.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-25-2020, 06:42 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

So it appears to be a bit of a frankenjeep. Looks to be a post 76 body/rear axle on a 72-75 frame. You have a cobbled suspension lift, ugly rear driveline, unknown front axle and transmission. We also don't know what does and doesn't work.

So, if you decide to keep it, you have some work to do to make it "right". If you can do the labor yourself, there are no major issues (bad transmission, engine, t case etc) you may be able to assemble a solid working Jeep with minimal monetary investment.

Selling it is what you make of it. If it moves and drives and you have little investment in tires, you should be able to turn a profit above your purchase price (2500?) to someone. Understand, many folks won't know what they are looking at, so something pretty and complete would be a lure to the "uninitiated".

Beyond trying to help out your son, I would pass on it unless the price was simply unbeatable.

Chesty Puller
post #15 of 17 Old 06-06-2020, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
BMWFan

Against some opinions, I did buy the Jeep from my son.
I'll start a new thread asking questions as I work on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in