Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New Owner 1983 CJ7

682 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Colt44 
#1 ·
Just bought a 1983 survivor I6 CJ7. NO rust and almost all original including the paint. I am 60 years old, retired military, and in need of a new project. I have restored from the ground up several vehicles (Mustangs, Vetts, VWs, etc.) I have a great shop and all the tools. Always wanted to do a CJ and finally have the time to do it. Forums have always been a great source of experts and I am glad I found this one. I will ask a lot of questions and will also provide insight when I discover something others may need.

Few questions:
1. I want to completely eliminate all of the smog eqt. I live in Texas. I will install a Weber 38, HEI, and do the Nutter. After that is done, what can I completely remove?

2. Taking it down to the frame. Will replace every old part that is required and put a 2.5" lift on it. Anything unique at the frame level I should do before the tub goes back on?

3. It has a full roll cage installed that bolts into front floors. Going try to find and put back an original Sport Bar (no real rock climbing for me). Anybody that wants the full cage can have it...just come pick it up.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Getting rid of the full cage would actually stop all the whining about no foot room up front!

No emission's left on mine either, even the cat took missing. I've found that nothing can go wrong with stuff, if it ain't there at all.

Other than that, the Jeep really looks nice as is.

----JEEPFELLER

#5 ·
Thanks. I read everything on the glee page. Super helpful.

Want to do all the engine mods and cleanup while it is still running before tear down so I know if something I remove messes up how it runs.

If I do the HEI dust and the Weber carb, seems that eliminates need for the nutter. Is that right?
Also, seems once I do those two things I can eliminate the computer and ignition module and just run a new line to e choke from oil sender. Is that right?

#6 ·
Thanks. I read everything on the glee page. Super helpful.

Want to do all the engine mods and cleanup while it is still running before tear down so I know if something I remove messes up how it runs.

If I do the HEI dust and the Weber carb, seems that eliminates need for the nutter. Is that right?
Also, seems once I do those two things I can eliminate the computer and ignition module and just run a new line to e choke from oil sender. Is that right?
Basically, yes, that is all you should have to do.

You will also need to run power to the oil pressure gauge but that is just separating some wires from the harness and splicing them together.

If you have a tach and need to run a relay then there are other things you need to buy.

#8 ·
A couple of ideas/suggestions as to your stated plans:

Have you considered a TBI conversion? This would do away with all your emissions junk, reduce under-the-hood clutter and give you a much smoother, reliable and responsive result. There are several different options for the upgrade; I'd have a look at the Sniper system from Holley - a little pricey but very slick and well implemented.
If you're really looking for a bigger and more involved project, consider the full MPFI upgrade. I did mine several years ago and still can't get over how much better it is.

Second, depending on the condition of your suspension (or your dislike for the CJ's harsh ride) you might look into doing the YJ spring conversion.
Not only do the larger, wider springs make a profound difference in ride quality and handling but they also give about a 2" - 2.5" lift to a CJ so that would give you your higher Jeep with the nice bonus of a softer ride. I'm 61, and my aging butt surely does appreciate that every time I head out in my Jeep.

#9 ·
I will research the TBI conversion. Thanks for the idea. I am very interested in the YJ suspension you mention. I'll search for some writeups on that as well. Do not want more than 2 or 2.5 lift and will run 31s max. Would like a nicer ride in that this will get mainly street driving and occasional dirt road while camping.

Thanks. Ill keep you informed on my progress.

#10 ·
As I said, I did the YJ suspension conversion and love it. After the MPFI upgrade it's probably the best bang for the buck out of all the many things I've done to my Jeep. My CJ suspension was pretty well shot, but after installing the YJ springs I had about 2.5" lift just from the springs.

Also, there are numerous threads around here describing the upgrade process in detail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.