New member intro and quick question - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fourtrail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-29-2021, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
B15605

New member intro and quick question

Dear All,

I just purchased a 1978 CJ7 that needs some love to get it back in shape. A decent amount of rust on the tub so I am working towards getting the tub off the frame so I can begin the welding and, ultimately, the painting. Anyways, I purchased this one so my son and I could spend time together working on it. He is 14 and this will be his first vehicle. As for my experience level, I just got done with a fully body off rebuild of a 1973 super beetle, so I learned a ton in that build and found I really enjoyed this type work. The only thing that is really new to me is water cooled engines, but I suppose I can figure that part out.

My quick question is this - as I head towards pulling the tub, do I have to drop the gas tank prior to yanking the tub - or can I get away with just disconnecting the fuel filler lines and such and then work with the gas tank when the tub is off? The PO did some real hack stuff under there and I think it would be easier to decipher where to go with it once the tub is off, but it isn't obvious to me whether I have to drop the tank first or not.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I will post some pics when I figure out how to do so on this forum.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-29-2021, 06:21 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Nope, no reason to pull the gas tank prior to pulling the tub. Just get the fill and vent hose loose from the filler neck, which also easily unbolts from the tub and pull the tub off.
emiller35 likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 5 Old 07-29-2021, 10:51 PM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
And don't forget the vent and return hoses on the other side that go to the rollover valve in the area behind the driv. rear tire.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-16-2021, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
B15605

I am slowly working down this road. Since this original post I have successfully pulled the body off and my 14 year old has learned to weld on the tub repairing rotten steel. Now that the body is off I am seeing that I need to repair some of the ribbing under the floor pan. I really don't want to buy complete new ribs as I don't deem it necessary, just wanting to patch them up in rusty places.

Question: Anyone know what gauge metal the structural ribs are stamped from? I know sheet metal is 18 ga, but the ribs seem to be a bit thicker and I would like to get close with the patches.

Thanks
post #5 of 5 Old 09-18-2021, 04:37 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B15605 View Post
Question: Anyone know what gauge metal the structural ribs are stamped from? I know sheet metal is 18 ga, but the ribs seem to be a bit thicker and I would like to get close with the patches.

Thanks

Sheet metal on the CJ is 18 gauge but the structural support steel, like A & B pillars, floor channels and other supports, are 16 gauge steel.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in