New to Jeep started with a CJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 07-26-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
garfield2230

Garage
New to Jeep started with a CJ

Picked up a 1983 CJ7 a month ago.

Thank you all for the help on these forums. I have learned A LOT in a month. Y'all helped get this jeep running a lot smoother, get it street legal, and trouble shoot several systems. Always liked older vehicles know how to do some car work, (had to keep mine working and mechanics are expensive finally out of college and working.) This will be my first one I get into the engine and transmission.

It is running but needs work. It is about to stay in the garage for a bit till I get the motor running better. The original motor was replaced with a rebuilt a 1984 (Definitely a 258 just not sure what year still trying to decipher the Motor build code). New lifters in it and a new carb. Did a few minor fixes to get it street legal, new seat belt, changed the blinker switch, and a few other electronic fixes. Needs a rewire but have it working for now. I will start getting the cam replaced this weekend by pulling the head and going to get it shaved. While the new camshaft comes in (month of August). Next will replace the steering box with a H1 hummer steering box and a new steering pump Month of September, this seems like a long time for a steering pump but one bolt is already snapped the others don't look pretty. All ready started soaking the remaining bolts and bought more fuel for my torch. Plus I have a few smaller items to change while I am working on the steering area. Following will rebuild the transfer case and convert to a twin stick, (original dana 300.) Month of November. Early next year I will swap it to a NV3550. Eventually I will rewire next year.

I will be using break in oil for the cam and in the oil change after the break in period.

Questions
1) Going to be putting in a comp cam for 800 to 4000 RPM. The lifters in it literally have less than 50 miles on them. But y'all say always change them. Do i really need to change them? (cam will be a comp cam for 800-4000 RPM)

2) Thoughts on the NV3550 they seem to be popular. I am also was looking at the SM420.

3) At some point I think I need to change the axles on it. Open to suggestions

4) Holly Sniper Upgrade? Any experience with them?

5) Any other items I should be on the look out for issues or suggested upgrades?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-27-2019, 10:30 AM
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Re: Holly Sniper - I'm getting one installed as we speak. My mechanic (a jeep nut as well) says they are awesome and has installed a couple. Once I get a few miles on the road I'll be sure to post again. I bought mine from Holly directly and they didn't hit me with tax for some amazing reason. (Screw you, Washington state)
post #3 of 19 Old 07-27-2019, 03:11 PM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield2230 View Post
Questions
1) Going to be putting in a comp cam for 800 to 4000 RPM. The lifters in it literally have less than 50 miles on them. But y'all say always change them. Do i really need to change them? (cam will be a comp cam for 800-4000 RPM)
Change em!
Mark the old units in order as you take them out and keep with original cam.

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-27-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
garfield2230

Garage
Thanks! Glad to hear good things about the sniper. Will mark the lifters.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-27-2019, 11:51 PM
Hurricane4
1979 CJ5 

Welcome! Good luck with your repairs/mods. I would like to add the following: ( You most likely have heard this many times as I have but it bears repeating )

This is not a complete list of what I call Safety First items but is a good start.

1.) Think Think Think! Safety first when working on any vehicle. Keep a Fire extinguisher handy. Use proper vehicle jacking and support techniques.

2.) Take your time. Take your time. No rush here. Better to take a little extra time and complete the job properly than waking up in the hospital.

3.) If possible try to let someone know you are going to work on your Jeep. Keep cell phone handy.

4.) Read Read Read - Talk to people who have done the same repair/mod. This forum is a great resource! Use the search function. Many knowledgeable people here.

Good luck and keep us updated!

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-28-2019, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
garfield2230

Garage
Hurricane4 thank you for the reminder safety is key and keeping it running is the goal. Is there a prefferef tall jack stand or is cribbing with 4x4 my best option to safely keep it lifted. This will be done rarely I imagine consider how high it is. Will need to do it when I change the axles at some point. And by cribbing I mean 2-44 parrell and then crossing them with 2 more 4x4. Continue until proper height is achieved.

Also best tall floor jack? I really dislike putting a jack on top of something to get lift. But that is where jack an inch crib an inch comes in if all else fails. Trying to avoid farm jacks.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-28-2019, 07:38 AM
Axhammer

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield2230 View Post
Picked up a 1983 CJ7 a month ago.

3) At some point I think I need to change the axles on it. Open to suggestions

5) Any other items I should be on the look out for issues or suggested upgrades?
Congrats on the CJ-7, they are awesome vehicles...I love mine.

How do you intend on using the vehicle? Your intended use will dictate what you need to do to the axles. There are some upgrades you can do make the OEM axles (rear ends) strong enough for moderate off road use, depending on tire size. You could replace the AMC 20 axle shafts with single piece units, and run the Dana 30 as is with 31 tires, and hit the trails pretty hard, because the 31 tires would impose limitations on your Jeep, thus inflicting less stress on the axles (rear ends).

You didnt mention any rust on your Jeep. Being a career helicopter mechanic, corrosion prevention is always at the top of my mind concerning all maintenance I perform on any vehicle, whether it is a lawn mower or a general aviation aircraft, I always do what it takes to prevent corrosion. Based on that, I suggest you target any rust on your Jeep ASAP.

They all rust, unless the owner is proactive in preventing it.

In what part of the country are to going to drive the Jeep, winter use on salted roads is a death sentence for any vehicle.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #8 of 19 Old 07-28-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
garfield2230

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post

How do you intend on using the vehicle?

You didn’t mention any rust on your Jeep. Being a career helicopter mechanic, corrosion prevention is always at the top of my mind concerning all maintenance I perform on any vehicle, whether it is a lawn mower or a general aviation aircraft, I always do what it takes to prevent corrosion. Based on that, I suggest you target any rust on your Jeep ASAP.

They all rust, unless the owner is proactive in preventing it.

In what part of the country are to going to drive the Jeep, winter use on salted roads is a death sentence for any vehicle.

The jeep will be off/on road as I will be driving it to where I am going off road. The axle are not on the top of the list but depending on how the rebuild goes and there is money left over; I may just swap before it gives me trouble. So far I am coming in under budget, though I am skeptical this never happens. There are several off road parks near by that I will be taking it to, along with friends back yards and beaches along the gulf coast. (Me and the wife now have cars that are not junkers and we would not want to bring off road or onto the beach. So this is our dedicated fun vehicle.)

One big reason I got this jeep was the lack of rust. There are a few areas that I have already begun on. All pans have some rust spots and the doors are past saving. The frame though is solid. Rear axle has some along with many steering components that I am just going to replace entirely.

The current Tires a 33's heavily considering putting 31's on it.

Jeep is driven in the south Louisiana. No salt on the roads. Though there is alot of brackish swamp that is often required to go through to get where you are going when off road. Additionally the salt water after the beach. A good thorough wash after each trip normally prevents this from causing rust.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-28-2019, 11:17 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Garfield, if you fill in your profile you will get better answers, still wrong of course.

I admire your ambition,mostly we start with great plans and they fall foul of other distractions. I start one small project, finish it a year later and then get some use out of it.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #10 of 19 Old 07-29-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
garfield2230

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Garfield, if you fill in your profile you will get better answers, still wrong of course.

I admire your ambition,mostly we start with great plans and they fall foul of other distractions. I start one small project, finish it a year later and then get some use out of it.
Honestly this thing is my distraction. Hopefully saturday night I can get time to work on the profile.

Pulled the grill and radiator today. Also started to removing parts of the engine taking lots of pictures and using cardboard to mark my screws for ones I can't screw back in partially. Trying to bring the head to the machine shop friday. Also a miracle occurred to day. Reached down grabbed a socket and the magical 10 mm appeared!
post #11 of 19 Old 07-30-2019, 11:35 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Should have been 3/8"!!

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #12 of 19 Old 08-07-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
garfield2230

Garage
Well the break down of the engine was going well. Broke a bolt on the harmonic balancer. Calling it a night will pick back up on friday. Left handed bits will be in.
New parts came in though.
Alternator
Cam and lifters
Full gasket kit
Timing chain and sprockets
Break in additives

Will change the pulley on the alternator while I wait for tools to come in.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-07-2019, 08:51 PM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

I am about to install the sniper EFI on mine. I will report back with feedback. If you are in need of a wiring harness, I strongly recommend Painless. They are pricey, but are the best and most easy to install harness that money can buy.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-07-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
garfield2230

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMountainGoat View Post
I am about to install the sniper EFI on mine. I will report back with feedback. If you are in need of a wiring harness, I strongly recommend Painless. They are pricey, but are the best and most easy to install harness that money can buy.
Awesome! Hope it works well. From what I have read and every one has said painless hands dow n.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-21-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
garfield2230

Garage
$!;@"$^#%@%#$& well the reassembly had been going well was on the second set of tightening the head down on bolt 11 and heard pop while the bolt came loose. First couple threads on the block came out. Looks like I'll be ordering helicoils. All in all I'll say i came out lucky. Only broke one bolt, (removed with out damaging threads on harmonic dampener) and 2 threads!

Tags
1983 , cj7 , new guy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in