New Jeep (to me)- steering components/lift question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-22-2008, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
luckycheesehead

What's wrong with this picture - steering components/lift question

I recently purchased a 1984 CJ7. It has 33" tires and I would assume some type of lift although I'll be honest, I don't know how to tell how much and if it's suspension or body. My understanding is you can't put 33's on a CJ unless you do at least a 4" lift. The fenders have not been modified.

It's in excellent shape and seems really to only have a few things that need done to get it in a condition where I feel safe. I have already replaced the alternator and upgraded to an Optima battery because I had a problem with it not cranking after running for a while. Fixed that problem! I fixed a few other things including the engine revving on me automatically when I came to a stop sign, etc. That was just the automatic choke that needed adjusting. It was set so far past rich I couldn't even see the notch without turning at least 1/4 rotation. That also seems to have eliminated the carbon soot blowing out of the tailpipe as well.

Now I am on to the steering. I have read the article on bump steer (thank you James) and have measured my caster angles, they are at 4* which is right. I haven't had a buddy turn the wheel yet while I look at all the steering components for looseness but will be doing that this weekend.

The problem I am having is not extremely severe but enough that it warrants some kind of change. My steering wheel has between 1-2" of play, the tires move by themselves a certain degree when hitting a bump or dip in the road and when riding on an uneven surface at, for example, 40-45mph I fight with the Jeep to keep it straight which can be difficult. There is no knocking or any other noises when the steering wheel is turned.

After looking at all the pictures in this post https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509963, I looked at my Jeep and my components are at severely different angles than his. I tried to take the exact same picture angles as MuddyMules. My questions follow pictures.

My questions are these:

1) How can I tell if there has been a lift and how much? From ground to bottom of frame is approximately 18". From ground to tub is approximately 23". I don't know if that helps.

2) From looking at my pictures, can you tell if anything is wrong with my steering component angles or anything else that may need to have an eye kept on it while searching for reasons (seems the drag link should be angled up more and steering stabilizer at a more parallel angle to the tie rod?)?

I don't do rock crawling or anything extreme and don't want to spend unneccessary money if I don't need to but if you can see anything that would make an impact, please let me know. I be getting an alignment soon but would rather do it after any repairs.

I thank everyone in advance for your help.

Brian

Last edited by luckycheesehead; 01-22-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-22-2008, 12:03 PM
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Looks like a 2-2.5" lift from what I can tell. I fit 33" skinny BFG All-Terrains on my stock CJ with only a 1-1.5" lift and it didn't rub at all. You can probably fit 31" on a stock CJ with a little rubbing during extreme flex, and 33" with a 2" lift.

As far as steering goes, everything looks normal to me. CJs are notorious for having loose steering, so get used to it. Look through some of the threads in this forum. Loose steering is the most popular issue with CJs. Every situation is different. Make sure your tie rods don't have any play, and check your ball joints to make sure they aren't worn out. You can also adjust your steering box but make sure you know what you're doing before you attempt to do so. Some people have even ended up replacing the steering box, which is a pain.

Also, I don't see the point in getting an alignment unless it's pulling to one side. Getting an alignment job isn't going to fix sloppy or loose steering.

1986 Jeep CJ7 4.2L I6 T176 (restoration in progress)
1961 Willys 4x4 Wagon L-226 I6 T90 (restoration also in progress)
post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
luckycheesehead

Thanks. I know it seems to be a pretty re-occuring theme and I have read ALOT of threads about steering. Just when I saw the pictures from the other thread and saw the difference in mine, I thought maybe someone would see my pictures and have a bright idea.

Thanks for responding...I'll be checking for play in tie rods this weekend. I'll check out the ball joints too.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2008, 12:21 PM
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

When I got my jeep, I thought the same thing. It has 33s so therefore it has a lift. Mine does not have a lift and the 33s only measure 31' tall. Your steering looks very straight to have a lift. 33s will fit on any jeep without a lift. You just don't want to flex them. Great looking jeep.

1980 cj5 401, t-176, p/s., YJ p/b, tfi/hei hybrid, 3.73 30/44
post #5 of 8 Old 01-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycheesehead
I recently purchased a 1984 CJ7. It has 33" tires and I would assume some type of lift although I'll be honest, I don't know how to tell how much and if it's suspension or body. My understanding is you can't put 33's on a CJ unless you do at least a 4" lift. The fenders have not been modified.

It's in excellent shape and seems really to only have a few things that need done to get it in a condition where I feel safe. I have already replaced the alternator and upgraded to an Optima battery because I had a problem with it not cranking after running for a while. Fixed that problem! I fixed a few other things including the engine revving on me automatically when I came to a stop sign, etc. That was just the automatic choke that needed adjusting. It was set so far past rich I couldn't even see the notch without turning at least 1/4 rotation. That also seems to have eliminated the carbon soot blowing out of the tailpipe as well.

Now I am on to the steering. I have read the article on bump steer (thank you James) and have measured my caster angles, they are at 4* which is right. I haven't had a buddy turn the wheel yet while I look at all the steering components for looseness but will be doing that this weekend.

The problem I am having is not extremely severe but enough that it warrants some kind of change. My steering wheel has between 1-2" of play, the tires move by themselves a certain degree when hitting a bump or dip in the road and when riding on an uneven surface at, for example, 40-45mph I fight with the Jeep to keep it straight which can be difficult. There is no knocking or any other noises when the steering wheel is turned.

After looking at all the pictures in this post https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509963, I looked at my Jeep and my components are at severely different angles than his. I tried to take the exact same picture angles as MuddyMules. My questions follow pictures.

My questions are these:

1) How can I tell if there has been a lift and how much? From ground to bottom of frame is approximately 18". From ground to tub is approximately 23". I don't know if that helps.

2) From looking at my pictures, can you tell if anything is wrong with my steering component angles or anything else that may need to have an eye kept on it while searching for reasons (seems the drag link should be angled up more and steering stabilizer at a more parallel angle to the tie rod?)?

I don't do rock crawling or anything extreme and don't want to spend unneccessary money if I don't need to but if you can see anything that would make an impact, please let me know. I be getting an alignment soon but would rather do it after any repairs.

I thank everyone in advance for your help.

Brian

I'm the only gay eskimo.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-22-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
luckycheesehead

I forgot to mention that another problem I have is it does not return to center. It doesn't even give the least amount of assistance in returning to center. What besides Caster Angle can effect this?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-22-2008, 08:47 PM
hollywood

You should also be sure that your ball joints and axle U-joints are greased and not binding. You'll have to pop the drag link off the steering arm, but its worth checking. A steering box brace is a good idea too. Check for broken or loose steering box mounts, its a very common problem.

- Jeff
'83 cj
Another 7 by "CJ's Heaven"
post #8 of 8 Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 PM
MuddyMules

luckycheesehead - I will take some pictures after the new tie rods are installed this weekend and then you can take a look and see if I have a difference from my current tie rods and the new ones. You may have a 2" lift, I cannot tell, but with 33's, I would think that there could be. I also have YJ springs on my CJ with a 1" Shackle. This could be the difference in our tie rod angles. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in