New Fuel Tank For CJ7? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
thundercles

1979 CJ7 

Garage
New Fuel Tank For CJ7?

Well I got home from work yesterday and there was a puddle of gas under the CJ and a steady drip coming from the fuel tank. Got the tank dropped and emptied and there is a hole that developed in the center of the bottom of the tank. FWIY, the tank is a 15 gal Spectra Premium JP-1C which some PO put in.

Anyway, now I need to decide on a new fuel tank. I don't want to go back with this brand for obvious reasons. I would like to go with a poly tank but I am concerned about the hot exhaust pipe. This CJ has dual exhaust which run between the rear shackles and the tank on each side. The exhaust pipe is very close (may actually be touching) the current fuel tank. So do any of you have experience with a poly tank in close contact with exhaust pipe? Or can anyone recommend a better steel tank option? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 06:55 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

MTS is normally the go to around here and most have had good luck with their tanks.

http://www.mtscompany.com/jeep.htm

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 12:15 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

I would try and find a OEM original 20 gallon poly tank. They are very well made and you have some extra fuel. The skid plates are the hardest part to find in rust states but several people on this forum have made their own skid plates for OEM 20 gallon tanks. The poly tanks never rust out.

Good luck.

post #4 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 01:05 PM
1985 CJ7 

^^^ - Go with the 20 gallon poly. I've had zero issues with exhaust pipes but I did mount my muffler at an angle to keep it away from the tank a bit. Plenty of clearance like that!
post #5 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 06:49 PM
DV915

1976 CJ7 

I had a poly tank and dual exhaust.
The right side tail pipe was close to the tank so I placed a strip of adhesive backed heat shield on the tank, seemed to work ok.
Summit has quite an assortment of the stuff.
post #6 of 31 Old 06-26-2020, 09:03 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

MTS also has a poly 15 gallon fuel tank that will bolt in.

http://www.mtscompany.com/jeep.htm

https://www.morris4x4center.com/gas-...oaAikkEALw_wcB

As far as I am concerned, it is too much money to spend on a 15 gallon tank.

You could run a 20 OEM tank and use a mandrel bent 90 to bring you passenger's side exhaust over to the driver's side and then Y it into a larger sided tailpipe. You will never know the difference in performance. You will probably appreciate the extra 5 gallons.
post #7 of 31 Old 06-27-2020, 04:03 AM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
If you plan to keep the jeep for a long time....go 20 gal....1/4 less stops for gas. 1/4 Increase in mileage.

Do a search.....lots of options. Of course, if money is an issue.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 31 Old 06-27-2020, 05:50 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

There are lots of options for tanks, but if you want 20 gallons, the best available option for most is a OEM tank that is in good shape. The MTS tank hangs down too far. I talked to MTS several months ago about a unrelated issue and told them how poorly designed their 21 gallon tank was. The guy agreed and told me that they made the mold for that tank for a customer and produced a number of tanks. When the contract ran out, they continued to use the mold to make tanks and have sold many to many happy customers. He said the molds are EXTREMELY expensive to make. He also said they are working on a exact OEM replacement tank that will be released in the future. We will see if that ever happens.

There is also an aluminum tank option which costs around $1300.00. Unless you have a need to stretch the wheelbase (this tank allows this) or have lots of cash to burn, this is probably not the best option for most. Most of us have between $6k and $10k invested in our original purchase (nice Jeep...not a POS) and $1300.00 is a huge investment for a tank in a $6K-$10K toy.

In California, where we generally do not have too many rust problems, I see the OEM 20 gallon tanks with the skid plates from time to time for a reasonable amount of money. In the rust belt, where CJs disintegrate, I would think the poly tanks would be one of the few usable parts after everything else rusts away. If they do not get crushed, the poly tanks should be more plentiful there because there are less Jeeps to go with them. The skid plate would probably be the hard part to find in the rust belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
If you plan to keep the jeep for a long time....go 20 gal....1/4 less stops for gas. 1/4 Increase in mileage.

Do a search.....lots of options. Of course, if money is an issue.....
post #9 of 31 Old 06-27-2020, 06:37 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Holley makes an affordable 15 gallon steel replacement tank.
Attached Thumbnails
16E5C067-1194-47BF-BFC2-EC0754716EAE.jpg  

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #10 of 31 Old 06-27-2020, 07:47 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

I did not know about the Holley Sniper tank. The Sniper TBI units are really nice. My son's 1966 Mustang is going to get one.

You could also go with some of the cheaper 15 gallon replacements (maybe like what he had before) and use a gas tank sealer on the new tank to coat the new tank.

You could use

POR15 Fuel Tank Sealer 8 oz.

or

Eastwood's gas tank sealer

With a new tank, acetone and then the sealer should be all that is required.
post #11 of 31 Old 06-27-2020, 05:22 PM
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

The OEM 20 gal poly tank hangs quite a bit lower than the OEM style 15 gal tanks. I went the other way, I pulled the 20 gallon and went with the 15. I don't need the extra capacity and was glad to get some added ground clearance.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
post #12 of 31 Old 06-27-2020, 07:17 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Please define quite a bit. The MTS 21 gallon tank uses the stock 15 gallon skid plate and has a 4 inch spacer that must be installed for it to work. I would think at most you gained an inch or two if you went from an OEM 20 to a 15 which use different skid plates. I have never drug my 20 with 33 inch tires and BDS 4" lift springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosupes View Post
The OEM 20 gal poly tank hangs quite a bit lower than the OEM style 15 gal tanks. I went the other way, I pulled the 20 gallon and went with the 15. I don't need the extra capacity and was glad to get some added ground clearance.
258 likes this.
post #13 of 31 Old 06-27-2020, 08:47 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercles View Post
Got the tank dropped and emptied and there is a hole that developed in the center of the bottom of the tank.
An unusual location for a hole, a steel tank will usually hole on the top or the side seams. the bottom is covered in fuel and can only rust on the outside.

I welded up Bagusjeep's tank 10 years ago and she has been fine ever since. It had rust holes on the top. You hav eto be careful that all fuel vapours are gone before welding but apart from that it is a simple job.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #14 of 31 Old 06-29-2020, 03:36 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
I love my 21 gallon poly! Had him since 1996!

No more exterior rusting/ no more internal ethanol caused rusting!

Since I'm "over" my Jeep thrashing days, It gets me around a lot further.

If I were still doing the thrashing of yesteryear, I'd probably have torn it off!

Here's a pic from the rear of the "dangle-age" I have now. Notice an included "extension" is used on the original skid plate to allow for the extra tank capacity.

----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
A 6 INCH LIFT NO TAG.jpg  
post #15 of 31 Old 06-29-2020, 06:28 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

If the 21 gallon works for you that is great. If you had purchased and installed an original 20 gallon tank, you would have a couple of more inches clearance, an angled back on the skid plate for better departure angle and they can be had for as little as $50.00 I have seen several for sale at that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFELLER View Post
I love my 21 gallon poly! Had him since 1996!

No more exterior rusting/ no more internal ethanol caused rusting!

Since I'm "over" my Jeep thrashing days, It gets me around a lot further.

If I were still doing the thrashing of yesteryear, I'd probably have torn it off!

Here's a pic from the rear of the "dangle-age" I have now. Notice an included "extension" is used on the original skid plate to allow for the extra tank capacity.

----JEEPFELLER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in