new CJ7 owner, dripping sound in engine - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 04-03-2021, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
fibersport

new CJ7 owner, dripping sound in engine

New to the group as well as new to Jeeps. After wanting a Jeep for 50 years, I finally got one, a 1984 CJ7. It's a running project and I'm just learning about its oddities. Let me start off that I know my way around the garage having restored classic boats, rebuilt engines, painted cars, remodeled my home and can weld.

The previous owner did some modifications but seems he didn't finish them. Here is what I know: new aluminum radiator, new Motorcraft 2100 or 2500 carb, bypassed heater core, no coolant overflow tank, HEI ignition, new exhaust system with new converter, many wires not connected, new power steering system but the steering wheel is way off, probably due to the tie rod ends being out of adjustment, seems that he has pulled off all the emission parts, done a few rust repairs (but didn't finish) and various other things.

The odd thing I've noticed is just when I turn off the engine, I hear a dripping sound that seems to be coming from the passenger side of the block. It only lasts maybe 10-15 seconds or so, long enough for me to turn off the engine and run out to listen. I'm wondering if this could be oil draining down from the head? I've also noticed the oil pressure gauge reads only about 20 at idle, it does rise a little bit at higher engine speeds but not much. I'm thinking the gauge or sending unit might be mismatched as I have other gauges he gave me. I'm also not sure if the cooling system is operating correctly or not as the temp gauge isn't working either. I haven't spent much time with it as I just pulled off the 33x12.50 mud tires and put on stock rims and tires but will be looking into the cooling system today if I get a little time. All in all, I have a Jeep with a very solid rust free frame, a tub with some rust and an overall vehicle that the previous owner started but never finished.

Let the project begin!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-03-2021, 08:16 AM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Welcome! If you haven’t done so already please fill out your profile with your Jeep info - engine, trans, etc. This info will better help those responding to your questions. I recommend checking oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. Anything on the ground in the area of the dripping sound? Good Luck with your CJ!

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #3 of 28 Old 04-03-2021, 08:59 AM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
I've heard this as well in my engine. It's like the oil is dripping from the valve train down into the crankcase, or metal cooling back down. I've given into it being nothing concerning since it has caused no problem and my engine was recently rebuilt. I don't recall it doing it before during my 38+ years of ownership but it hasn't been my dd for a couple decades.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 Old 04-03-2021, 09:53 AM
HoDad
1981 CJ5 

The sound you hear is the oil draining back down into the pan, totally normal.
post #5 of 28 Old 04-03-2021, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
fibersport

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I realize that a 37 year old vehicle is going to have some quirks and trying to analyze a sound is difficult over the internet, but I had thought it was the oil draining back into the pan too, I'm glad others have heard the same thing. There is nothing on the ground as everything seems nice and tight. The PO did clean and paint the engine which is a real blessing, although it's green rather than the original aqua/teal/blue color. Here's a shot of the engine compartment that I'm starting with.
Attached Thumbnails
159723746_10158431726916225_8204770845040979593_o.jpg  

1984 CJ7 Renegade
4.2 with 4 speed
researching other details!
post #6 of 28 Old 04-03-2021, 11:01 AM
Techlight
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Welcome to the forum, sounds like a fun project...couple things I noticed, but I'm not as familiar with your setup as others on here but I'm sure they'll chime in.

Your fuel filter is in the wrong orientation. Return line should be at 12 oclock.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/c...ilter-1226135/

Also, your valve cover vacuum/vent hoses are ran incorrectly. The front should be ran to vacuum at the carb...the back should go to a line at the back of the air cleaner (looks like it does)...or a vent to atmosphere.

Just some stuff to think about, lol...the people who "really" know these things will chime in
post #7 of 28 Old 04-03-2021, 11:58 AM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
This might help explain the PCV and fresh air holes and how it works.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/e...-help-4415349/

----JEEPFELLER
post #8 of 28 Old 04-03-2021, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
fibersport

Wasn't aware of the fuel filter orientation, that should be easy enough. As for the PCV valves, PO had installed two as is shown in the picture. When I brought it home, I smelled a burning smell and popped the hood only to find the passenger side of the engine covered in oil - luckily it was fresh oil. Anyway I also noticed the dipstick was pulled out a little. After spending some time thinking about it, I realized the problem. At higher engine speeds, like driving it home, there is really no vacuum produced although the engine is still producing blow-by. With the second PCV valve in place, there was no way to relieve the pressure built up in the crankcase except out the dipstick. Since the bottom of the dipstick is sitting in the oil, it ended up blowing the oil up the dipstick tube and out onto the engine. I now have the rear PCV valve directed to the underside of the air filter housing and the front one is connected to the carb as it should. Thanks by the way -

1984 CJ7 Renegade
4.2 with 4 speed
post #9 of 28 Old 04-03-2021, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
fibersport

Jeepfeller - thanks, I actually ran across that one when I was dealing with the oil spraying. I also find that I'm missing the charcoal cannister on the driver side, that one picture explains the little green line pretty good too. Thanks -

1984 CJ7 Renegade
4.2 with 4 speed
post #10 of 28 Old 04-03-2021, 12:27 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

But....you should only have (1) PCV valve. The back one should be a flow through of air to the air cleaner, or a vent cap that will allow air in or out freely.
My PO, or beyond, had the same setup with (2) PCV valves, and when changing the oil, air was being sucked back in the drain plug opening so the oil could come out. Both PCV valves were sucked closed on top, and no pressure relief for the oil to drain!
If it does that just draining the oil out, what happens when the engine is running?
Lesson learned
post #11 of 28 Old 04-03-2021, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
fibersport

Devildog80 - I'm surprised that the engine ran with 2 PCV valves, I mean they will run but you'll end up blowing oil out all over the place. It will idle all day long with two, but once you start running it at higher speeds, your engine stops producing vacuum and can't pull anything out of the engine.
pedal2themetai likes this.

1984 CJ7 Renegade
4.2 with 4 speed
post #12 of 28 Old 04-03-2021, 08:08 PM
HoDad
1981 CJ5 

Sorry about your engine color!
post #13 of 28 Old 04-03-2021, 08:51 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibersport View Post
Devildog80 - I'm surprised that the engine ran with 2 PCV valves, I mean they will run but you'll end up blowing oil out all over the place. It will idle all day long with two, but once you start running it at higher speeds, your engine stops producing vacuum and can't pull anything out of the engine.
IF....I did not have a low oil pressure issue.

When I first brought Gramps home May 2019, it sat for a couple weeks, then got it running. Fresh 10/30 oil/filter change, fresh gas with oil level full and pressure was about 25 lbs cold. Warm would drop around 5-10 lbs. Needless to say, was not driving it much, just to find out what else needed attention. Put some Sea Foam in the oil, as it had been sitting for most of the last 15 yrs, so thought oil vanes inside the engine probably looking like a quadruple bypass was needed. Over just a few dozen short runs (most 5 miles or less) my cold pressure was creeping up and now is about 65 lbs, and warm will be around 15 lbs. Still not where it should be, and have a new pump to put in soon, but wanted to give the Sea Foam more time to knock out more of the gunk.
That all said, have since replaced the rear PCV valve with a breather cap, but have never had oil puking out anywhere. Must just be luck, as I have read about a lot of rigs on here doing just that!

Oh yes.....and my higher speeds are only 40-45 in 4th gear, so not pushing a lot of rpm's
post #14 of 28 Old 04-04-2021, 06:15 AM
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

Welcome to JF! Looks like a nice engine to start with! Many people love the 2100 carb, and it's clear that the PO has made some good choices (along with some bad / unfinished work). Many of us bought our CJ's with charcoal canisters missing.....The can be mistakenly ripped out as part of the "smog" equipment that some people ditch. You can find them refurbished, and I think there's a DeLorean part that matches up as well. I found mine from a junkyard.
Also - you'll find some detailed info here on the forum about re-building the heater box and getting that working again. My guess is your heater core leaks, so the PO bypassed it. Anyhow - that's an easy fix - and while you're at it you can upgrade the blower motor with the K5 option. Again - well documented on the forum.
Also - this site will probably be helpful in determining what you have left and what has been removed - it helped me considerably when I was starting out with a partially hacked up CJ. https://gleebledorf.com/
Good luck - Send more pics!!
post #15 of 28 Old 04-04-2021, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
fibersport

Thanks Ccoyle71, I've been reading the heater box thread, I'm almost tempted to pull my box out and get started. The Gleebledorf site is fantastic, sure looks like most if not all my smog stuff has been removed, pretty sure the computer is gone as well.

Devildog80 - I'm hoping I might have the same luck you did, although I really need to check the pressure with an accurate gauge first.

HoDad - ever been to Northern Wisconsin? Your username reminds me of the Hodag from Rhinelander -

1984 CJ7 Renegade
4.2 with 4 speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in