5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 54 Old 11-03-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
danno_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Hi Danno,

I could be seeing things, but it appears the balled end of your t-case shifter is broken off.
Yup, I think you got it. Thanks for that diagram. Now to figure out how to replace the t-case shifter...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 54 Old 11-03-2019, 04:05 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It's pretty easy. Just remove the shifter shaft nut and the 2 link pins. Then push the control link forward and slide the shifter off the shaft. Don't lose the cotter pins for the link pins.

Good luck,

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #48 of 54 Old 11-03-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
danno_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
It's pretty easy. Just remove the shifter shaft nut and the 2 link pins. Then push the control link forward and slide the shifter off the shaft. Don't loose the cotter pins for the link pins.

Good luck,

Matt
Thanks - been googling for the past hour or so. I was thinking it may be worth it to twin stick it. I don't think the install is that much more complicated; however, getting the new boot to fit appears to be a problem in some cases. I don't think I need to take the transfer case out for any of this (twin stick or no)...?

Thanks a bunch,
Dan

post #49 of 54 Old 11-03-2019, 05:08 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

No, you won't have to remove the t-case either route you go. Twin sticks will probably require cutting the tub, and of course a different boot, however.

Unless you plan on some hard-core wheeling, twin sticks probably aren't worth the effort.

Matt
JoonHoss likes this.

post #50 of 54 Old 11-04-2019, 06:29 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno_CJ7 View Post
Yup, I think you got it. Thanks for that diagram. Now to figure out how to replace the t-case shifter...
Quote:
It's pretty easy. Just remove the shifter shaft nut and the 2 link pins. Then push the control link forward and slide the shifter off the shaft. Don't lose the cotter pins for the link pins.

Good luck,

Matt
I don't know about the '83 t-case shifter but on my 1980 t-case, the shifter shaft actually screwed into the shifter. The flat on the shifter shaft is there to put a wrench on it to unscrew the shaft.

Oh, and take the nut off first.

The shifter on my 1984 t-case, the shifter shaft did not screw into the shifter.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #51 of 54 Old 11-04-2019, 08:28 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It must have changed in '81, John. My t-case shifter does not screw into the shaft.

Matt
John Strenk likes this.

post #52 of 54 Old 11-11-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
danno_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

So I ordered a nice looking twin stick replacement, and finally got around to playing with this. What I found was surprising - and worked out fine:

1. The bottom of the original shifter did not shear off - something had gotten jostled, and the shifter had become disconnected from the shift control link. I was able to get it back together, and it works.

2. I assume when the transmission was replaced, it pinned in the shifter shaft. Even with the nut removed, the shifter shaft can't be removed, it hits either the transmission or the body. To remove it I'd have to drop the T-case, or cut it. Thus, I can't swap in the twin shifter without a bit more effort.

3. Probably also when the transmission was replaced, some of the parts for the t-case shifting mechanism appear to have been removed or left out, including all the washers and pins that hold in shifter shaft - and also, maybe the back of the shift control link (circled in blue, not entirely sure, didn't get that far before I put it back together). Again, the fact that the shifter shaft CAN'T be removed, probably makes it not a huge deal that the washers and pins holding it in place are missing. However, I'm willing to bet the play in the shaft is the culprit for shifter popping out of the control link. I'm happy to leave the shifter and shaft in place, but putting in some washers and spacers and a pin to secure the shaft might be smart.

Thanks!

D
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 1.30.00 PM.jpg  
post #53 of 54 Old 11-11-2019, 08:56 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno_CJ7 View Post

2. I assume when the transmission was replaced, it pinned in the shifter shaft. Even with the nut removed, the shifter shaft can't be removed, it hits either the transmission or the body. To remove it I'd have to drop the T-case, or cut it. Thus, I can't swap in the twin shifter without a bit more effort.

D
Danno, after removing the shifter shaft nut, you can use a pry bar (or a mallet if you have room) to slide the shifter shaft through the bushings towards the transmission- that will give you the clearance to remove the shift lever with out too much effort. Just make certain the shaft is lubricated and clean so it will slide through those plastic bushings. You probably won't have to move it far to give you the needed clearance.

Hoov

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #54 of 54 Old 11-11-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
danno_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover7 View Post
Danno, after removing the shifter shaft nut, you can use a pry bar (or a mallet if you have room) to slide the shifter shaft through the bushings towards the transmission- that will give you the clearance to remove the shift lever with out too much effort. Just make certain the shaft is lubricated and clean so it will slide through those plastic bushings. You probably won't have to move it far to give you the needed clearance.

Hoov
Thanks, Hoov. Actually, I was able to slide the shaft far enough to remove the shift lever - you're exactly right. However, if I ever wanted to put in the twin shifter, I'd need to drop the T-case, I think.

D

Tags
carburetor , cj7 , jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in