New CJ7 - Been sitting for 8 years... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 54 Old 09-28-2019, 11:47 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Nice find and you got to love a Sebring red CJ!

Attached Images

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #17 of 54 Old 09-28-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
danno_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Ok, so here's the progress and pitfalls:

1. Siphoning the old gas is proving to be tougher than I thought. I can't get the siphon tube down into the tank... May need to drop the tanks before too long. Or cut the tube that leads into the tank and replace...
2. Checked for water in the oil - looks good, no water, and PO must have changed oil before garaging because it looks good as new.
3. Removed plugs, squirted in a little Mystery Oil, then tried to turn the engine with the crank bolt. The angle is real bad, and I couldn't get quite enough leverage to turn the engine. I could rock it back and forth, which makes me think it's not frozen, but not positive.

One oddity is that I realized the front breather tube was detached from the case, and that the other end of it is attached to nothing at all (photos attached). Does this usually go to the air filter? Where is the air filter in the 83 CJ7? I can't find it! Another is that the last person to install the fuel filter did so with the return-to-tank nozzle below the carb nozzle, which I've read is a no-no.

Once I solve my old fuel problem, I'll change the oil and filter (hardly necessary, it seems), change the fuel filter (ordered), spray in some carb cleaner, replace the battery, and see if she starts...

Thanks again for the pointers!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1761.jpg   IMG_1167.jpg  
post #18 of 54 Old 09-28-2019, 08:49 PM
CJ7 Joe
1984 CJ7 

Yea! Its a 10k CJ all day along around here assuming its solid! Definitely a score!! Congrats!!!!

CJ7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 54 Old 09-29-2019, 01:36 PM
lovett86

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck with it

its a rusty one

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
post #20 of 54 Old 10-05-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
danno_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Latest updates:

I drained the gas and put in a few fresh gallons, replaced the fuel filter and the battery, and tried to turn it over. Good news is it's not seized, bad news it won't run yet. I looked in the carb and didn't see any gas squirting, so thought I'd take off the hose to the filter to see if the pump was working. No gas before the filter, so the fuel pump isn't doing its job. No idea if that's the extent of it, or if the sending unit needs to get looked at. My next step is to go ahead and replace the fuel pump and see how far we get! Thanks for all the suggestions!
post #21 of 54 Old 10-05-2019, 06:55 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

The fuel pump probably is doing its job, it’s just pumping an entire line full of air right now. Squirt a little bit of gas down the carburetor and see if she fires, if it does it and only runs for a few seconds that’s normal you’re trying to run the engine enough to prime up the system. Also your PVC hose from the front of the valve cover goes to the carb and a hose at the rear of the valve cover goes to the air cleaner housing.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
post #22 of 54 Old 10-06-2019, 03:39 PM
Rob1999TJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
$800 is a great deal i think. Down here in Arizona you only find ones completely taken apart basket cases with half of the parts missing for $3K. Anything that still even LOOKS like a entire CJ is $7K. Congrats!
post #23 of 54 Old 10-13-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
danno_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Cool Lola lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
The fuel pump probably is doing its job, itís just pumping an entire line full of air right now. Squirt a little bit of gas down the carburetor and see if she fires, if it does it and only runs for a few seconds thatís normal youíre trying to run the engine enough to prime up the system. Also your PVC hose from the front of the valve cover goes to the carb and a hose at the rear of the valve cover goes to the air cleaner housing.
She lives and breathes! Seems to be running awesome. Here's how I got here there:

I replaced all the plugs and sand-papered any potential corrosion under the distributor cap. I couldn't get it to run by squirting gas into the carb (maybe no idea how much to squirt?), so I bought a hand pump like the ones you attached to a flat-can on a boat, and put it in before the fuel pump. Pumped for a few minutes until I got fuel, then attached the whole thing to the mechanical fuel pump (hand pump is still sitting there). Once everything was primed, she started right up, no problem! Idles just fine. Clearly the mechanical pump works great.

Sprayed some Sea Foam carb cleaner in the carb, put some Sea Foam in the tank, and let her run for a bit. Instantly found places where the fuel lines were leaking, so went ahead and replaced those. Then took her around the block!

Next up: Will flush the radiator and replace all fluids. May need new tires (the tread is fine but looks like there's some dry rot). Also, the brakes need attention.

Thanks! And still open to any and all suggestions. I think I just graduated from someone who dreams of having a CJ to one who actually has one...
jeepster4245 likes this.
post #24 of 54 Old 10-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

This is great news, glad it's back to life. How does the oil pressure look?

Hoover

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #25 of 54 Old 10-14-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
danno_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover7 View Post
This is great news, glad it's back to life. How does the oil pressure look?

Hoover
Good question. I'm going to replace the oil/filter and flush the radiator, so I will take a closer look at the oil pressure gauge and see what it's reading while I'm dealing with those tasks.

I'm still a little at a loss as to what to do with my "out" breather hose from the engine cap. I've seen some diagrams suggesting to goes back to the carb - but I'm not sure why that would be. I'm also not sure if the whole rig is significantly after-market, and standard PVC/TAC charts still apply... I can take some pictures so that someone may have some idea what I'm talking about. Thanks a bunch, all.
post #26 of 54 Old 10-14-2019, 01:20 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
this is a real "find".

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 54 Old 10-14-2019, 02:17 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Yes, you will need to reconfigure your PCV circuit to operate correctly. You are right, the fresh air inlet side of the system should be supplied with filtered air. Your aftermarket air cleaner may not have a provision for that. Although you may have a little different setup, check out this thread that focuses on hooking up the carb and PCV system correctly. And, yes, post up pictures with your questions- they help a lot!

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/n...-38-a-4372511/

Hoov

post #28 of 54 Old 10-14-2019, 02:39 PM
Dwight_C

1956 CJ5 

Garage
Excited to watch this Jeep revival. Post more pics as you progress!

'75 CJ-5 350/SM465
post #29 of 54 Old 10-14-2019, 02:43 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Although you may have seen this link before, this website is a great resource for these engines-

http://www.gleebledorf.com/

Hoov

post #30 of 54 Old 10-15-2019, 08:43 AM
mc190

When did the CJ7 start with the ECU units and computer emissions? was it 1981 or later. If your CJ7 has a emissions system, you might want to go ahead and due the Nutter bypass and look at a carb service or change over (if its a Carter Carb). Can't tell by the photos, but it does not look like you have a Carter carb on it.

Tags
carburetor , cj7 , jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in