New CJ7 - Been sitting for 8 years... - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 09-24-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
danno_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Cj New CJ7 - Been sitting for 8 years...

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, and new to CJ's. And, new to tinkering with an inoperable vehicle (aka, a noob).

A friend sold me a 1983 CJ7 that has been sitting in her garage for about 8 years for $800. The jeep was apparently running fine before storage. Before garaging, it had a used Chevy v6 and transmission put in. I think the carburetor was also replaced at that time. Rust is moderate - just surface.

I've already gotten some good advice on what to do first (listed below), but thought I'd start this thread to document the process of getting the CJ started. I will need all the help I can get.

1. Take out the plugs, squirt in some oil, and turn the engine over to make sure it's not seized.
2. Drain (and flush?) the gas.
3. Drain and change oil/filter.
4. Change fuel filters.
5. Fill fluids - radiator.
6. Spray in carb cleaner? Take carb apart?
7. Put in new battery.
8. Fuel pump working? (Carb squiring?)
9. See if it will start.

Open to any and all thoughts and suggestions. I've already learned a lot from this forum's older posts.

Thanks a bunch!
Dan

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2852_sm.jpg   IMG_2851.jpg   IMG_2854_sm.jpg   IMG_2855_sm.jpg   IMG_2856_sm.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 09-24-2019, 11:20 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I would first see if you can turn the engine over by hand just to be sure that the rings haven't rusted to the cylinder wall.

Take all the plugs out so you are not fighting compresion. Squirt some penetrating oil down each spark plug hole.
Then take a breaker bar with a socket on it and put it on the end of the crankshaft and see if you can turn it over.

Make sure it's in neutral before you start turning it over.

The carb you will probably have to take it apart just to inspect it to see if any corrosion started inside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 54 Old 09-24-2019, 11:22 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno_CJ7 View Post
Thanks a bunch. Is there an additive I should add to oil that will breakup any old crud?
PB Blaster would be good. Let it sit a day or so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 54 Old 09-24-2019, 11:40 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Moved comments from other posts to give OP his own thread.

post #5 of 54 Old 09-25-2019, 09:30 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Don't think that is a Chevy V6. It kinda looks like a 258, but I can't tell for sure because I'm not used to looking at one with all the unnecessary trash hanging on it!

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #6 of 54 Old 09-25-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
danno_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4703 View Post
Don't think that is a Chevy V6. It kinda looks like a 258, but I can't tell for sure because I'm not used to looking at one with all the unnecessary trash hanging on it!
Thanks - I actually have no idea how to tell, and don't have any documentation. I'm going to start digging around this weekend.
post #7 of 54 Old 09-25-2019, 09:43 AM
87MJTim

1987 MJ Comanche 

A V6 would have three cylinders/spark plugs on each side of the engine. The stock Jeep engine of that time would be a 4.2 liter/258 cu. in./ 6 cyl. All the cylinders are one side.

The engine pictured is a straight 6.

Tim

87 Comanche, 4.0, AX15 (formerly BA10/5), D44
84 CJ7, 4.0 (93 XJ) AX15 (Formerly T5)
post #8 of 54 Old 09-25-2019, 09:58 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Yes, agree. This engine appears to be the stock straight six, most likely a 258 based on the year model. Great find at a great price. Looks to be in really nice shape!

Nice hibiscus flower above the spare tire stop.

Hoover

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #9 of 54 Old 09-25-2019, 04:42 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Don’t try to crank it until you check for water in the components.

When they sit for years and years, the temperature changes (even in a garage) can sweat the metal casings and engine block. That condensation will run down the inside walls and go to the bottom as water is heavier than oil. So what appears as clean oil when you check it before you crank it, will turn to chocolate milk fast as you get it running. Then it’s all through the engine, transmission, whatever.

Oil doesn’t go bad with time, it goes bad with use. Old oil can still be fine.

Loosen the drain plugs and keep them pressed into the hole as they are almost about to come out. If there is water, it will come out first, then the oil. I picked up a jeep that had been sitting in a barn for five years, and I drained almost a full liter of clean water from the pan before I started it. I’m glad I did because it’s been a great running motor to this day.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
post #10 of 54 Old 09-26-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
danno_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover7 View Post
Yes, agree. This engine appears to be the stock straight six, most likely a 258 based on the year model. Great find at a great price. Looks to be in really nice shape!

Nice hibiscus flower above the spare tire stop.

Hoover
Ha! My wife has been relentlessly pointing out that sticker, as well. I have since gotten in touch with my friend, and she does think it's a Jeep straight six - but wasn't the one this Jeep came off the line with.
post #11 of 54 Old 09-26-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
danno_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
Donít try to crank it until you check for water in the components.

When they sit for years and years, the temperature changes (even in a garage) can sweat the metal casings and engine block. That condensation will run down the inside walls and go to the bottom as water is heavier than oil. So what appears as clean oil when you check it before you crank it, will turn to chocolate milk fast as you get it running. Then itís all through the engine, transmission, whatever.

Oil doesnít go bad with time, it goes bad with use. Old oil can still be fine.

Loosen the drain plugs and keep them pressed into the hole as they are almost about to come out. If there is water, it will come out first, then the oil. I picked up a jeep that had been sitting in a barn for five years, and I drained almost a full liter of clean water from the pan before I started it. Iím glad I did because itís been a great running motor to this day.
This is excellent advice. Thank you. Before cranking the engine I will drain any water from the pan, drain the fuel (just to be safe), pop off the plugs and spray in some penetrating oil.
post #12 of 54 Old 09-26-2019, 01:31 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

What a ridiculously incredible score!

I had a red '83 CJ7 in Sebring red as well, I paid 3 times that amount 10 years ago, it was in worse shape (visually) than yours (Though it was running), and that was a helluva deal then.

A little bit of sweat equity and elbow grease later...

You did great, that was/is a steal of a price in that condition,

You are absolutely on the correct tract as far as getting it fired up.

Good luck!

Hoss
John Strenk likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #13 of 54 Old 09-26-2019, 06:15 PM
Axhammer

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Nice score! Thatís my favorite Jeep of all time, a 1980ís Sebring Red CJ-7 with steel doors. It even has a plastic valve cover. My 1986 Sebring Red CJ-7 had a plastic valve cover, steel doors and a black hardtop when I bought it new. My current 1985 CJ-7 is Sebring Red, with steel doors and a white hardtop, but itís still topless for the summer.

I donít know how it was stored for those eight years, but hopefully after refreshing the fluids you can get it fired up and start enjoying it. The best part about owning a CJ-7, is driving it, and I prefer driving mine with the top off in the summer.

Congrats! And welcome to the CJ forum.

This is what I had back in the eighties.
Attached Thumbnails
DD0598E6-4984-47A2-81FF-3895B5EAEBA2.jpeg  

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #14 of 54 Old 09-27-2019, 04:51 PM
aillon

1985 CJ7 

Garage
That is an original 258 engine just the valve cover has been replaced. It looks exactly like mine. Wow 800$. It looks like those are original seats? I would say those are worth 1000$ alone. I do not see any rust, and the wagon wheels look pristine. How many miles on it? I bet less than 60k?

That seller must be pretty well off, because she walked away from 7-10k depending on rust.

1985 CJ7
post #15 of 54 Old 09-28-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
danno_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Truth be told, I had to spend a pretty penny to ship it... But yes, a good deal! There's 75k miles on it.

Tags
carburetor , cj7 , jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in