21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 07-27-2020, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
New CJ5 Project

Just picked up a CJ5 a few days ago.

1976 CJ5 with a 304 V8, T150 3-spd transmission and a D20 Tcase. It needs some TLC but I've began the process of getting it back into shape. It does run and drive as of right now but has a little bit of rust in the floor boards and windshield frame and I'm wanting to take it back to a more stock condition vs how it is now. The brakes are also in poor adjustment resulting in pulling hard left and even locking up the left tire under even moderate braking. The steering is in need of a refresh, the steering shaft has a lot of play in the upper u-joint and the collar (not sure what it's called) just above the U-joint. And the carburetor has a pretty bad fuel leak but fuels well.

The POs did some pretty janky wiring on the Jeep as well and modified the stock bumper in various ways. Including welding supports to the frame which I'm going to have to get creative with a cutting wheel to get loose.

Anywho I'm glad to find this forum and hope to be able to come here for help in the future on this project.

This morning I got up and busted out a few hours of work getting the interior ripped out and a few other odds and ends removed like the home made roll bar and the rotting windshield frame. One of the POs did some "interesting" wiring on the Jeep. Should be a fun project and not too much effort to get back into decent shape. Biggest stuff I think is going to be the rust repair of the floor board and rocker panels.

End goal is to get it back pretty close to stock.

Last night when I shoehorned it into the garage.

Janky previous owner wiring

That's 3 self tappers in the frame to ground a set of LED podlights

Lift shackles. Those are going away and the suspension will get a full rebuild.

Previous owner wiring to make the LEDs work

Windshield frame rot

Most of the interior out. I pulled the roll bar and wheel well carpet right after this photo. Roll bar definitely looks home built/welded.

Passenger floorboard rot

Driver's side not as holey but still kind of bad.

Tried to salvage the windshield and botched the removal.

Shedding rust from messing with the windshield frame

It had some diamond plate rocker covers riveted in place. I drilled the rivets and found what I expected. Same spot on both sides.

Underhood the wiring is a bit of a mess and the airhorns are going bye bye. Powertrain is AMC 304 V8, T150 3 spd manual, Dana 20 Transfer case, Dana 44 rear axle and Dana 30 front. The transmission needs an overhaul, it won't stay in first gear unless you hold the shifter in place. And the Transfer case has a pretty stout leak from the rear output seal. I'll probably overhaul it as well while I have the transmission out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-27-2020, 08:15 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Welcome to the forum.

The jeep is not in too bad of shape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 30 Old 07-27-2020, 03:53 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
Welcome to the forum, this is one of the most active Jeep forums that I've encountered myself.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area

post #4 of 30 Old 07-27-2020, 07:47 PM
70-71

Garage
Looks like a good project for a rebuild. Congratulations and good luck on your Jeep.
post #5 of 30 Old 08-02-2020, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
After rereading my OP i realized I copied and pasted this from the Early CJ5 forums where i am new. Not new on Jeep Forums been here for a while.

Anywho due to a leg injury while working on the CJ progress has slowed to a crawl. But the first of the parts have arrived.

T150 transmission rebuild kit.

post #6 of 30 Old 08-02-2020, 10:27 AM
Sparkybob
1978 CJ5 

Good luck on your project. Looks like it will be super nice when finished!! Remember to
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Too bad stupidity isn't painful.
post #7 of 30 Old 08-03-2020, 06:30 AM
Submariner

1976 CJ5 

Garage
Welcome to the forum. I have been here for years. Worth the subscription every year.

Looks like you have the makings of a Nice cj5. I bought one a few month ago and yes you will find that PO's have always put their fingers in the wiring system. Just go in and tear out all that they have put in and start new. It saves you a lot of headaches in the long run. I am just one step off of just replacing the whole thing.

One thing that I may suggest, before doing anything, Make a plan of action. It will save you from doing something over and over again. When you do something to her, Make it the same as stock or better, not just it will "do", it will come back to hunt you on the trail. Just take a little longer to make it right. There are plenty of guys and gals here that will give you good advice on how to fix things.
turbogus and downs like this.

Submariner and you wonder why I am this way LOL
post #8 of 30 Old 08-03-2020, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I'm just going to order a painless wiring harness. I'm not an electrical guru and for less than 300 dollars I can have someone do all that work for me.

post #9 of 30 Old 08-03-2020, 08:08 AM
Kanjeep

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Let the fun begin!!!
Submariner and downs like this.
post #10 of 30 Old 08-06-2020, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Got the plasma cutter hooked up finally. Cut the stock bumper away from the winch. Now to cut the winch away from the crossmember without mangling it. This stupid boot on my let greatly slows progress.

Kanjeep likes this.

post #11 of 30 Old 08-06-2020, 08:31 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
One thing that I may suggest, before doing anything, Make a plan of action. It will save you from doing something over and over again. .
Best advice.

Start with an overall plan. Yours is to return it to stock. List all the things you will need to change to accomplish this.

I suggest you go by component group, such as:
engine
transmission/t case
body and windshield
electrical
rear axle and springs
Front axle and springs
Etc...

From there break it down into sub groups.

Front axle:
stock front springs
bushings/shackles
brakes
inner axle seals
ball joints
etc.....

List everything you feel is acceptable, then list everything you need to work on/replace that sub group (including specialty tools).

Good:
housing
spring pads
u bolts
wheel bearings
etc...

Then list the things you need to fix:

Brakes:
2 sets new shoes
2 new wheel cylinders
2 new brake soft lines
turn drums
brake pliers
line wrench
etc....

ball joints:
2 new upper
2 new lower
ball joint press
etc....

Gather the parts for that group and check availability of tools prior to starting, then dive in.

There is nothing worse than getting all done, then having to go back and pull whatever it was back apart because you didn't fix an issue you forgot about, especially if you just finished powder coating and painting it.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #12 of 30 Old 08-08-2020, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Got the winch the rest of the way cut off leaving only a few spots to get knocked down on the front cross member.

Grille and fenders pulled and got the dash out. Found yet another welding project one of the previous owners did.

70-71 likes this.

post #13 of 30 Old 08-09-2020, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
This morning I woke up and tackled the side steps. I cut them about half way with the sawsall then used my breaker bar in the tubes to lever them around till they broke off. 2 of them broke off all the way at the frame giving easy access to the body mount bolts the other 2 broke off outside of the body mount pockets so I'm going to have to melt them out with the plasma cutter. Went ahead and pulled off all the soft top mounting hardware as well while I was in there. I may or may not get out there to do more today. It's supposed to be around 100.

I didn't cut this one. It broke like that.

post #14 of 30 Old 08-16-2020, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Got the tub off and power washed along with the frame. We though the frame was full of mud. Was actually full of dirt dauber nests. Those things are quite resistant to even the power washer but I think i got the frame blasted out. Got the caked on oil blasted off as well. Going to roll the frame back into the garage today after everything dries out and going to start pulling the t-case and transmission later this week. Before I do that I'm going to hook the engine back up to the battery and do a compression test. A few things need to be sealed up on the engine as well. Still a ways to go but making steady progress.

Some more janky wiring by one of the previous owners. Pretty sure it was a kill switch of some kind. It was screwed to the bottom of the steering column.

The master cylinder is so full of gunk I'm not even going to try to salvage it. Not for the 30 or 40 dollars a new one costs.

Throwing down some paint as well. Been doing it one piece at a time. Sanding a body piece one evening and spraying it the next morning before I leave for work. In another week or so I'll wet sand each piece and bust out the polisher.

John Strenk likes this.

post #15 of 30 Old 08-16-2020, 03:00 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I like the color,,,
downs likes this.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in