New CJ owner. What next? - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 Old 06-06-2020, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
BMWFan

Cj New CJ owner. What next?

I bought a 1973 CJ5. It has a different engine/trans than stock. It has a fiberglass tub.
My son bought it from a co-worker. My son did nothing to it. I bought it from him to get him out of it mostly, but I also like working on vehicles. It'll keep me out of trouble.

I think the engine is a 258 from 1980. Not sure about the rest of the drivetrain. I know the automatic is not original. Was told in a different thread on the forum that the fiberglass body is 1976/later.

Have some pictures to start with. Removed the seats and vacuumed it out. Gotta decide how far I'm going to go on fixing it up.
Originally I wanted to just flip it, but not sure now.

I know it needs the (homemade) fuel tank installed, fuel pump and fuel line installed. At least 1 brake line replaced. Was told the engine and trans is good and last ran in 2014-2016-ish.

Not even sure what questions to ask. I took the seats out to vacuum the leaves/acorns out of the inside. Wondering if it'd be easier if I just remove the body and work on what I need to there before tackling the dash, wiring, seats, maybe a soft-top of some sort, doors, etc.

Attached Thumbnails
DSC02916.jpg   DSC02911.jpg   DSC02913.jpg   DSC02912.jpg   DSC02917.jpg  

DSC02918.jpg   i0000010.jpg  
Supraquick likes this.

Last edited by BMWFan; 06-06-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 06-06-2020, 03:17 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
Congratulations of tripping the trigger on this.
Firstly, I'd make certain that the wiring under the frame and in the engine compartment is loomed and out of the way of the moving assemblies. Then lube all of the joints, change the fluids, and filters, if the belts show any age do them too. This'll enable you to become familiar with your Jeep before getting in too deep, then proceed with major stuff. This worked for me anyway on 'Black Betty'.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #3 of 78 Old 06-06-2020, 04:40 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI Maybe is a illusion but the rear end does not look like its centered under the Jeep?
tim

post #4 of 78 Old 06-06-2020, 04:48 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I realy would take the tub off.

Once you get all the frame suff cleaned up. You would feel better about this jeep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #5 of 78 Old 06-06-2020, 06:39 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #6 of 78 Old 06-06-2020, 06:46 PM
RiverandSand
1980 CJ5 

Garage
Oops I should have looked closer, it has a column shift.
post #7 of 78 Old 06-06-2020, 07:18 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

The first thing you need to do is decide if you are going to keep it or not. This will drive how much effort you want to put into it.

You might want to check the fluid levels, insure the brakes are working, and try to get it started. Once it is running, take for a trip around the block.

If you're not happy with it, clean it up and sell it.

If you think you want to keep it, then put together a list of issues and maintenance focuses and get started. Feel free to ping us on your list.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #8 of 78 Old 06-07-2020, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
BMWFan

Cj

I got the starter to turn over the engine and it fired with some gas poured down the carb. I now need to get the fuel tank, fuel pump installed and lines cleaned out. The fuel pump mount on the block is blocked of with a plate, so I'll need to get an electric pump for it. Does this tank look like it will take an in-tank fuel pump? Or do I need to get an external, in-line type fuel pump?
I'm guessing the wonky/bent float assembly isn't supposed to look like that. I'm not even sure if I should use any of what I have or get all new.
Not sure what shape the carb is in, but I suspect it'll might need a rebuild.
I will have to fabricate my own straps to hold the fuel tank in, right? Or does it look like a stock strap will work?
Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200607_144827605.jpg   IMG_20200607_144836222.jpg   IMG_20200607_144843249.jpg   IMG_20200607_144856425.jpg   IMG_20200607_145324861_HDR.jpg  

post #9 of 78 Old 06-07-2020, 02:21 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI I don't really see any problem with the float.. its suppose to be bent .. that's how you adjust it .. tho it does look a little high compared to the pick up tube. but that would give you a couple of gallons after it shows empty. I think I would run an external pump.. since its set up of one already..
As for the carb. since its been sitting for a while I'd kit it.. gaskets dry out and shrink ..
good luck
tim
post #10 of 78 Old 06-07-2020, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
BMWFan

Thanks for the reply pedal2themetai.
Since it's all rusty, does anything there need to be replaced?
Is there supposed to be a filter on the pickup?
The part I thought looked bent out of whack was the entire tube that goes into the tank, when compared with the round retaining plate at the top.
What type of external fuel pump would be a good choice? And will I need a fuel regulator?
post #11 of 78 Old 06-07-2020, 03:46 PM
andysbarker

1980 CJ5 

In regard to the fuel tank and fuel pump, if I were in your shoes, I would be buying a correct stock gas tank for the Jeep (plastic version instead of steel, so it will never rust out), correct stock tank shield and straps, and a correct stock mechanical fuel pump for the 258.

Frankensteining has its place sometimes for upgrades, but I would be pursuing stock correct parts in this case. I think you will be more happy with the correct set up, parts that are made to fit the jeep, instead of using oddball parts and doing weird things to make them work just because the previous owner supplied it with an uninstalled custom gas tank.
post #12 of 78 Old 06-08-2020, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
BMWFan

Just to get it on the road and then reassess, I'm going cheap for now.
Bought a new fuel sending unit with strainer new gasket and level sensor, pump, filter, rad cap, lower rad hose for now.
I'll have to get something to clean and coat the inside of the gas tank. Looking at POR-15 fuel stuff, Red-kote and KBS.
post #13 of 78 Old 06-08-2020, 01:09 PM
Supraquick

Garage
If you could get it "safe enough" to take it around the block, I would do that just to help know what you are dealing with. Otherwise, the tub would come off asap. It will really help you to see and access all of the items you'll need to fix.

I ran mine around the block with a coke bottle full of gas strapped under the hood.

When passion and skill work together, the end result is often a masterpiece. - John Ruskin
post #14 of 78 Old 06-08-2020, 01:42 PM
Mister4x4

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraquick View Post
If you could get it "safe enough" to take it around the block, I would do that just to help know what you are dealing with. Otherwise, the tub would come off asap. It will really help you to see and access all of the items you'll need to fix.

I ran mine around the block with a coke bottle full of gas strapped under the hood.
I agree. Going to all the hassle of working on the homemade tank seems to be wasted time if you're planning on flipping it.

For less than $200, you could probably have an all-new factory-spec fuel system under there (tank, sending unit, fuel pump, filter, etc.), which would have the Jeep running confidently, and would add $1000 to your asking price if you decide to flip it. Non-running, and you're lucky to get much, if anything, more than you paid for it - economy is such a fickle lady, after all.

If you choose to keep it, you're just that much further down the road.

Having said that, I hope you decide to keep it. Based on only these few pics and your description so far, it looks like a pretty solid little rig. The big thing to remember with a fiberglass tub, is to ensure you run a ground wire for every electrical item inside the tub, since fiberglass isn't ferrous. Having a ground bus bar either behind the dash or on the firewall can help with that.

Good luck!

Eric

post #15 of 78 Old 06-08-2020, 04:54 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFan View Post
Just to get it on the road and then reassess, I'm going cheap for now.
Bought a new fuel sending unit with strainer new gasket and level sensor, pump, filter, rad cap, lower rad hose for now.
I'll have to get something to clean and coat the inside of the gas tank. Looking at POR-15 fuel stuff, Red-kote and KBS.
Make sure the lower radiator hose has the steel 'spring' in it. If not one can use an uncoated coathanger and make their own.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in