New 1980 258 harmonic balancer - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Horatio
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-07-2021, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Horatio
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Peachtree City
Posts: 81
New 1980 258 harmonic balancer

Learned a hard lesson on how not to pull a harmonic balancer from my 1980 258. After screwing up the original I ordered a new replacement from Dayco. The new unit does not have the same cutout as the original. I'm assuming the original's cutout was for balancing. Does the new one need to be balanced? OK to bolt and go?

img_1539.jpg

Horatio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 01-07-2021, 05:32 PM
greganthonyb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
Learned a hard lesson on how not to pull a harmonic balancer from my 1980 258. After screwing up the original I ordered a new replacement from Dayco. The new unit does not have the same cutout as the original. I'm assuming the original's cutout was for balancing. Does the new one need to be balanced? OK to bolt and go?



Attachment 3958915
From Dayco:

"Dayco Harmonic Balancer

Made to strict requirements for proper fit and performance

Developed with exceptional-quality materials and Spheroidal Graphite iron casting

Features inserted and pressure-bonded rubber for maximum strength and longevit

-Fit and Quality Guaranteed!

Harmonic balancers*are misnamed. They*do*not*balance*an engine, rather they absorb and remove unwanted vibration due to torsional twisting of the crankshaft. ... Dampeners are like torsional shock absorbers used to dampen torsional twist and vibration in an engine."

I'd say you're good to go!
greganthonyb is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 01-07-2021, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Horatio
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Peachtree City
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by greganthonyb View Post
From Dayco:

"Dayco Harmonic Balancer

Made to strict requirements for proper fit and performance

Developed with exceptional-quality materials and Spheroidal Graphite iron casting

Features inserted and pressure-bonded rubber for maximum strength and longevit

-Fit and Quality Guaranteed!

Harmonic balancers*are misnamed. They*do*not*balance*an engine, rather they absorb and remove unwanted vibration due to torsional twisting of the crankshaft. ... Dampeners are like torsional shock absorbers used to dampen torsional twist and vibration in an engine."

I'd say you're good to go!
Good to know. Thanks for the help!
greganthonyb likes this.
Horatio is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old 01-07-2021, 06:26 PM
whollsee
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canberra
Posts: 480
Yep, if it is the Dayco Powerbond HB1440N it is good to go. That is what I have installed. Great quality and made right here in Australia not too far from me.

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
whollsee is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 01-07-2021, 07:19 PM
JEEPFELLER
Registered User
 
JEEPFELLER's Avatar
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Western
Posts: 1,356
Garage
Sometimes this is a point in time whereas you might replace your timing chain (or timing set) or the gasket on your timing chain cover (for the harmonic balance)

It kinda all depends on your plans and use of your Jeep. There are better options for the timing set

Maybe a light hazing of anti-seize on the crank.

Find a bolt with the same thread but longer and a nut to go with it.

Run the nut up the temporary bolt (tool) and stick on the original washer.

Pick up the balancer and smear a little oil on the surface that will run in the rubber seal of the timing chain cover

Hover the balancer in place and run your "Tool" Bolt assembly into the crank. Run it in a lot--you want lots of thread engagement when you start pulling!

Now run the nut in and washer down and pull the balancer on (at least halfway in place)

Remove "Tool Bolt" and install it as it was originally----That is : Washer and original bolt.

Pull it fully into place and torque it to 80 ft.lbs.

TOOL BOLT??????

This will Start the balancer onto the crank.

It will prevent you from using the original bolt, which may BARELY catch the female threads----WHOOSH! You just ruined the starter threads of either end or both!

I've witnessed the original bolt not quite grabbing and the owner "Beating" the balancer onto the shaft.

This is the reason for the long tool bolt!!!

----JEEPFELLER
JEEPFELLER is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 01-08-2021, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Horatio
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Peachtree City
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFELLER View Post
Sometimes this is a point in time whereas you might replace your timing chain (or timing set) or the gasket on your timing chain cover (for the harmonic balance)

It kinda all depends on your plans and use of your Jeep. There are better options for the timing set

Maybe a light hazing of anti-seize on the crank.

Find a bolt with the same thread but longer and a nut to go with it.

Run the nut up the temporary bolt (tool) and stick on the original washer.

Pick up the balancer and smear a little oil on the surface that will run in the rubber seal of the timing chain cover

Hover the balancer in place and run your "Tool" Bolt assembly into the crank. Run it in a lot--you want lots of thread engagement when you start pulling!

Now run the nut in and washer down and pull the balancer on (at least halfway in place)

Remove "Tool Bolt" and install it as it was originally----That is : Washer and original bolt.

Pull it fully into place and torque it to 80 ft.lbs.

TOOL BOLT??????

This will Start the balancer onto the crank.

It will prevent you from using the original bolt, which may BARELY catch the female threads----WHOOSH! You just ruined the starter threads of either end or both!

I've witnessed the original bolt not quite grabbing and the owner "Beating" the balancer onto the shaft.

This is the reason for the long tool bolt!!!

----JEEPFELLER
Great advice. Thank you
Horatio is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome