Needed: 4.2L Air Cleaner Bracket or different style Air Cleaner Housing - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 84 Old 05-18-2020, 10:55 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

the factory carb would have been a carter bbd. the mc2100/2150 was only stock on v8 engines. i understand what you are talking about the little weber air filters. i have one and change it every couple of months with a clean one. luckily i have thee of them from my old bug days. the other night i was actually looking at getting the adapter for the larger air cleaners used on a v8. instead of a round one i was looking at a 12" oval air filter. mocked it up with some cardboard. looks like it would fit with manual brakes.

oldschool

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 84 Old 05-19-2020, 07:43 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog80 View Post
As we speak of the OEM air cleaner, I am asking what carb was OEM for 4.2 in 1981

Carter 2barrel BBD without the Stepper Motor.

I have a Carter BBD from 1980 Jeep on my 1984 model year. Bought it on eBay and was NOS OEM. They pop up every now and then.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #78 of 84 Old 05-19-2020, 12:10 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Thanks
Now to find one, and hope it has the air cleaner assembly as well. Southern AZ is not kind when it comes to dust, and really would prefer to have the cooler clean air from the grill duct, than the hot dusty from engine compartment.
Not a DD (I work from home), or rock climber, etc, just light trails on occasional weekend and once in a while a drive to the parts store with my Grand daughter, while fixing this and that then test drive. But want to get parts a little at a time when I can, and nice to have the right parts for the job.
So any chance someone has a carb & maybe air cleaner I could pry from your grip to rebuild for my rig? I am in far east Metro Valley of PHX AZ by Superstition Mountains, and could pick up local or pay shipping?

post #79 of 84 Old 05-19-2020, 01:02 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Looking at pics of the Carter 2 bbl, and can fabricate a cool air duct w/filter box for the Weber.....but still open to the Carter carb if you all think better for mileage, power, etc.
Weber runs ok, just needs rebuild, as right now about 10 mpg...but rig was setting for 6 yrs and have not run it much yet until a little more work completed on it!
post #80 of 84 Old 05-19-2020, 01:38 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Don't forget early YJ's also use the same air cleaner setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #81 of 84 Old 05-20-2020, 12:28 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

That is good intel.....thanks
Helps to expand the search area a lot.
And that is OEM Carter carb on the YJ's with the round throat? My Weber is oval with that little crap filter, so might need to change out my carb to the Carter, for ease of getting the cool air cleaner setup! If so, will the Carter BBD still work ok without the 3 or so wiring connectors plugged in? Not sure the connectors are even still on the rig, but will look to make sure!
post #82 of 84 Old 05-21-2020, 10:43 AM
DaveMueller

1976 CJ5 

YF does have the smaller round opening (2-5/8"?). If your BBD has the big solenoid on the back, it needs to be connected to run the adjustment needles all the way in. Look up "Nutter Bypass", it's how to remove computer control from a BBD.

"You came here in that thing? You're braver than I thought."
post #83 of 84 Old 05-22-2020, 07:35 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Ok, so THAT is what "Nutter Bypass" is for!
I have seen so many phrases and acronyms used on this site, and figured I would just bide my time, and all would become clear some day. Today, I see some clarity
Thanks for the info, and thought I might have my brother in ND see if he has an old mechanical 2 bbl Carter, or Rochester carb laying around the Ranch somewhere, and have him send it.
And I did look at some pics of the YF air cleaner assemblies, and think it might just work. I have nothing really on that left front wheel well in engine compartment, so plenty of room to mount a cold air housing! Also need to mount a radiator overflow bottle, but that would not be a problem, as there is lots of room under the hood of the beast with the I6.
Thanks again Dave

Last edited by devildog80; 05-22-2020 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling
post #84 of 84 Old 05-22-2020, 07:40 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Looks like the horn might need to move!
Attached Thumbnails
E JEEP 11-10-19 020.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in