Needed: 4.2L Air Cleaner Bracket or different style Air Cleaner Housing - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 84 Old 11-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Fair enough. Stick a K&N on it.

You're the one asking questions, I'm just trying to help based on my experience.

Like I said, I've done the K&N thing, and won't go back. A CJ's design makes it particularly susceptible to a dusty engine compartment. I was constantly cleaning my K&N, including the pre-filter nonsense. It was a joke.

Good luck,

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 84 Old 11-13-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Actually I was looking for a bracket to put the stock setup back on it, but a K&N would be my second choice. I know how dusty their compartments get, I've built CJ's before, just not where I had to worry about anything stock. In fact they were rock crawlers that we stripped bare as soon as we got them, the only thing stock about them was the body and the frame and even then only parts of those. All aftermarket gauges, modern V8 dropped in, no heat or AC, literally a stripped out tub on a frame. I'm sure you know the kind. Believe me the dust inside of a CJ engine bay isn't as bad as the dust in my rear-engined Polaris RZR's or my rear engine dune-buggy, those are awful.

I will certainly give you and agree with you that you do indeed have to clean them a lot in those situations, but I look at it with the realization that I'd have to do that with any filter and the pre-filter setup is quick and easy compared to most. A weekend of trail riding with a stock filter on my dune buggy and I'd have to replace the filter totally and getting only a single weekend of use out of a $16 filter sucks

~ SouthernGypsy's Jeeps ~
2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon 4.0L/Automatic
1983 Jeep CJ-7 Limited 4.2L/5 Speed
post #18 of 84 Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

BTW: Love your prayer in your tag!

post #19 of 84 Old 11-15-2013, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngChase View Post
I purchased the standard 9" diameter chrome air cleaner from the auto parts store and also purchased the adapter to get from the 2 barrel to a 4 barrel opening on the bottom of the air cleaner. I'm not sure of the dimensions, but it is around 2-1/2" to 4-1/2" adapter. I didn't like the tiny monkey hat looking air cleaner that would fit the 2 barrel.

Looks good, No problems with the 9" size fitting and not rubbing anywhere at all? How much space/clearance does it leave, do you think a 10" model would also fit?

I found a couple of 9" and 10" models out there including ones that are already made specifically for the 2 and 5/8 inch neck of our 2BBL carbs without having to deal with an adapter. The K&N model 60-1070 is 9" and Mr. Gasket makes a 10" model. I really don't want to deal with an adapter if I don't really have to, I've seen them crack and then split a lot of times after a couple of years of service. Plus not having the adapter would let it sit lower on the carb so might also look more natural and gives the option of using a taller 3" filter instead of the 2" without coming too close to the underside hood padding. As for the 10" size, the nice thing with a 10" is that it will accept either a 9" or 10" filter size if you needed to in a pinch and then just leave a small lip around the edge.

post #20 of 84 Old 11-15-2013, 05:13 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Do a search for Keith460's build. He made his own bracket, and it appeared to be a simple fab job.

Matt
Nope, didn't make it. Bought the entire power brake air cleaner assembly from the Jeep dealer in 1988 and everything needed to mount it when I converted from manual to power brakes. Cost about $125.00 total.

But like someone else has said, you could probably still get the mounting bracket from the dealer. Jeep YJ's are the same until they started using the 4.0 engine. In the pictures below, the bracket is raised 1" for the use of a Weber carb with the OEM air cleaner. No spacers are used with the factory Carter BBD.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #21 of 84 Old 11-15-2013, 05:30 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Sorry for my mistake, Keith. I guess it was just the spacers I was thinking about.

It sounds like the OP has already made up his mind to stick an aftermarket on his. Too bad.

Oh, and good mornin.

Matt

post #22 of 84 Old 11-15-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks but I tried the dealer yesterday and they said none of the brackets are available anymore. They found the part numbers but then the Jeep order systems says no longer being produced.

post #23 of 84 Old 11-15-2013, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Sorry for my mistake, Keith. I guess it was just the spacers I was thinking about.

It sounds like the OP has already made up his mind to stick an aftermarket on his. Too bad.

Oh, and good mornin.

Matt

Actually no I haven't, but until I find a bracket an aftermarket is better than none. Called around yesterday afternoon and a couple of places today looking for the bracket and that funny rubber bushing that goes on it. I might could fab the bracket close enough but would still need the bushing.

post #24 of 84 Old 11-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

I just installed a stock air cleaner on my CJ. Actually, I'd purchased the air-cleaner on eBay quite some time ago and couldn't install it as I didn't have that freak'n mounting bracket. I was going to fab one, but then actually found a used bracket ... again on eBay. At this point, I'm pleased about going back to the stock setup as it allowed me, with Matt's help, to connect vacuum plumbing correctly - I think my CJ is running better (smoother) than it has in years.

Good luck -
John

...... ___
..__,[____],
.L---L-OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

... can't take credit for the graphic ... but it's cool, ain't it?
post #25 of 84 Old 11-15-2013, 09:50 PM
EngChase

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy View Post
Looks good, No problems with the 9" size fitting and not rubbing anywhere at all? How much space/clearance does it leave, do you think a 10" model would also fit?

I found a couple of 9" and 10" models out there including ones that are already made specifically for the 2 and 5/8 inch neck of our 2BBL carbs without having to deal with an adapter. The K&N model 60-1070 is 9" and Mr. Gasket makes a 10" model. I really don't want to deal with an adapter if I don't really have to, I've seen them crack and then split a lot of times after a couple of years of service. Plus not having the adapter would let it sit lower on the carb so might also look more natural and gives the option of using a taller 3" filter instead of the 2" without coming too close to the underside hood padding. As for the 10" size, the nice thing with a 10" is that it will accept either a 9" or 10" filter size if you needed to in a pinch and then just leave a small lip around the edge.
The 9" fits with the power brake option. The adapter hasn't given me any problems at all. (2 years) I think the 10" might rub.

This set up works for me. I bought this jeep to drive. I drive it every chance I get, and nobody can see the air cleaner going down the road.

1980 CJ7, 258, automatic TF999
post #26 of 84 Old 11-16-2013, 11:55 AM
lukenicwalker

1982 CJ7 

I have this...

Name:  image-3706393114.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  305.7 KB

But none of the rest of the stock air cleaner parts. Would this be of help to you?

ldw
post #27 of 84 Old 11-16-2013, 12:17 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Just having that bracket for the valve cover is all you need. All the other parts can be sourced from other places.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #28 of 84 Old 11-16-2013, 12:38 PM
lukenicwalker

1982 CJ7 

Sorry for my ignorance, but is there still good reason for staying with the stock style air cleaner since I will be running a MC2100? I don't have any of the of parts, like I said, so I figured it would be way more cost effective to just stick an aftermarket cleaner on there. Unless there is really good reason to try and piece the factory setup back together, I would let the bracket go to a good CJ home of someone looking to stay stock...

Sorry for the hijack!!

ldw
post #29 of 84 Old 11-16-2013, 03:46 PM
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenicwalker View Post
I have this...

But none of the rest of the stock air cleaner parts. Would this be of help to you?
If the OP doesn't need or want it, I need one. I just bought the cleaner from member "Imafishingfred".
post #30 of 84 Old 11-16-2013, 04:09 PM
imafishingfred

1981 CJ7 

Now that I see what the actual part looks like, I'll take a look and see if I have one in my Jeep Stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in