neede help with clunking.... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-11-2014, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
turnebr
1980 CJ7 

neede help with clunking....

im in the process of finishing up my cj7 build and i have just a couple things to fix. the motor was completely gone through i have brand new springs and shocks but i did not do anything internal to either axle (have no front drive shaft installed) or the transfer cue or transmission. when i drive it down there road there is no problem except for when i shift, give gas from nothing or release gas all together i get a nasty *CLUNK*........ i put 6 degree shims under the rear axle thinking that would fix it but no luck. i think its in the transfer case just because it does it when i shift into every gear. any other ideas? I'm supposed to be going on a short road trip this week and even though its drivable i would feel more comfortable if the was no clunk
thanks in advance

Attached Images

Jeeps and girls are alot alike, both get mad when you call them the "c word", both like to be rode hard, both of them are hard to control... Hell, the only difference between them is you can only fix one with a hammer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

A blown u-joint can sound like that. You need the wheels blocked and to be in neutral to check them.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in