3Likes
  • 1 Post By trailhead2004
  • 1 Post By trailhead2004
  • 1 Post By mardis

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-18-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
mardis

Need to rebuild engine?

My engine has some serious blow back so Iím thinking the engine needs to be replaced/rebuilt. Iíd like to buy a crate engine and keep the price below $1500. Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy? Iím new to this so any help is appreciated.

1974 CJ5 258ci 4.2L i6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-18-2019, 02:27 PM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardis View Post
My engine has some serious blow back so I’m thinking the engine needs to be replaced/rebuilt. I’d like to buy a crate engine and keep the price below $1500. Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy? I’m new to this so any help is appreciated.

1974 CJ5 258ci 4.2L i6
My first stop is usually the local parts house, NAPA or better. Not the Checker/Schucks/Kragen type of place. Done a few motors that way. Not sure who they would order them from but you could ask.

EDIT: BTW, have you done a compression or leak down check? What evidence do you have of blowby?
pedal2themetai likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
mardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhead2004 View Post
My first stop is usually the local parts house, NAPA or better. Not the Checker/Schucks/Kragen type of place. Done a few motors that way. Not sure who they would order them from but you could ask.

EDIT: BTW, have you done a compression or leak down check? What evidence do you have of blowby?
I did a compression check but not a leak down. Iím getting pressure build up in the engine. Iíve replaced the PCV and made sure there is vacuum from the carburetor. I had a breather on the other end of the valve cover but it was blowing out and oil was coming out of the dipstick hole. With just a hose on the back end now but oil is still coming out of any opening it can find.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-19-2019, 04:06 PM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardis View Post
I did a compression check but not a leak down. Iím getting pressure build up in the engine. Iíve replaced the PCV and made sure there is vacuum from the carburetor. I had a breather on the other end of the valve cover but it was blowing out and oil was coming out of the dipstick hole. With just a hose on the back end now but oil is still coming out of any opening it can find.
WOW! That sounds like a lot of crankcase pressure!

Any other signs of problems like running rough?

I'd say do a leakdown check both without and then with a little oil in the cylinders. That will tell you if you have bad rings or bad valves. A new head is considerably cheaper than a new engine (duh!).

Just want to check the boxes before you spend a bunch of $$$ on a new mo'.
pedal2themetai likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-19-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
mardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhead2004 View Post
WOW! That sounds like a lot of crankcase pressure!

Any other signs of problems like running rough?

I'd say do a leakdown check both without and then with a little oil in the cylinders. That will tell you if you have bad rings or bad valves. A new head is considerably cheaper than a new engine (duh!).

Just want to check the boxes before you spend a bunch of $$$ on a new mo'.
Yeah, that sounds like a plan. Thanks!
trailhead2004 likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-20-2019, 06:56 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

Hi can you get us a picture of your Pcv set up.
good luck
tim
post #7 of 8 Old 01-20-2019, 12:24 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI with the motor running check to see that you do in fact you have suck at the PCV valve ..Pull the valve and put your finger over the hole in the bottom of the valve if it should suck hard. if not your hose or intake port is plugged.
good luck
tim
post #8 of 8 Old 01-20-2019, 02:58 PM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

I went the crate engine route six years ago. I managed to keep the engine cost barely below $1500. Ask around for the best price. When I bought mine my brother-in-law ran a NAPA store. He stated up front that because of his volume he couldn't give me a good price. He sold and recommended the ATK engine and found one in their system at a rebuild facility in Texas. At that time Advance sold ATKs but my local store didn't have one in their system and the store couldn't contact the factory. Same problem with AZ. Went to O'Reilly's who didn't sell ATKs and they didn't have one in the system, but when I asked if they could contact ATK the store manager said he could try and he did and they said no motor for a 74. There laid the problem. With the advent of unleaded gas in the 75 model year AMC changed the internal specs for the 258. They said they had one for a 75-80 and we ordered it. It turned out to be an upgraded engine with a hotter cam but they sold it for the same price. Store manager gave me a discount that amounted to waiving the sales tax and waived the $250 core because I had a shop put it in. Today you will probably pay another $2-250 for the engine. With the engine I got a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

When I had the engine installed I got new water and fuel pumps, motor mounts, and clutch kit. that added another $200 to the purchase.

Shop around and you can find one at a decent price. Be careful that you get a reputable rebuilder. I could have got one a couple of hundred cheaper but had a 90 day warranty and I would have had to pay shipping. Be aware of the differences of the later 258s that you can't use your valve cover on.

I'd do it again if I had to replace my engine. I only put 2-3000 miles a year on mine so I really don't expect to ever do so. Good luck!

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!

Tags
1974 , 258 inline 6 , cj5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in