Need experienced feedback on carb/manifold/header selections - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 Old 05-06-2020, 05:22 PM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74G8R2 View Post
Original 258 overhauled by a professional shop and cam upgraded to a Comp Cam X4250H.
After reading "Stripperguys" post, and it being the same cam I am suggesting for your usage, I had to question what are your cam specs that you are going to use, X4250H, I am pretty sure this is the same 252H grind we are recommending?
Take a look at this web page.
https://www.compcams.com/xtreme-4x4-...-258-4-0l.html

UTN

EDIT: lobe separation angle LSA of 107 with (+4 degrees advance) will keep that extreme low RPM torque and very good mid range power that these tractor engines are known for. 252 advertised duration, with 206 @ 0.050", with around 0.454" valve lift is around what you are looking for.

74G8R2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 Old 05-07-2020, 06:16 AM
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not part of any kit
The Clifford is fine but I bought it maybe 15 years ago so I can’t speak about current quality
When I get near a computer I’ll post a link to a vid of it running so you can hear it
74G8R2 likes this.

1977 CJ5 is a CJ build ever really done?
2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck
post #18 of 29 Old 05-07-2020, 06:34 AM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptillnow View Post
After reading "Stripperguys" post, and it being the same cam I am suggesting for your usage, I had to question what are your cam specs that you are going to use, X4250H, I am pretty sure this is the same 252H grind we are recommending?

UTN

EDIT: lobe separation angle LSA of 107 with (+4 degrees advance) will keep that extreme low RPM torque and very good mid range power that these tractor engines are known for. 252 advertised duration, with 206 @ 0.050", with around 0.454" valve lift is around what you are looking for.
Comp ground those with a lot of exhaust bias because, you know, engines running mostly throttled back produce more exhaust to get rid of and on a 111 LSA because, you know, 111s are for off-road and 107s and 108s are for circle track racing so it'll make your jeep want to turn left all the time

Shawn
John Strenk and 74G8R2 like this.

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.

Last edited by Shawn Watson; 05-07-2020 at 06:47 AM.

post #19 of 29 Old 05-07-2020, 07:40 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
UTN, great feedback, just what I was looking for.
1. OK with the aluminum intake but where can i find one? have't had any luck with normal suppliers like Quadratec, Summit, etc.
2. Camshaft is done so no changes there.
3. Any recommendations on headers? Or any known issues on the Hedman single outlet suggested by Old School?
4. Have been planning on the D.U.I. HEI. Should i go all in on the rebuild (which might make trouble shooting tougher if there are any issues) or rebuild with factory ignition/dizzy/etc and then modify after I get it running again?
5. Agree, the 38DGES was my first choice on 2bbl carbs. If I decide against the factory alum intake, would it also work on the Offy 4bbl intake?
Much thanks...
The factory 81 up manifold you will need to source from ebay or the scrapyard. Pretty sure they also used them on early Wranglers with the 258 as well (but as I do not own one....).

DUI is well respected but I do not personally see an advantage over the Motorcraft dizzy with the Teamrush upgrade and a suitable module and coil. Default is Duraspark (you will be running Duraspark II after the Teamrush) but better modules exist, plenty of choice but they mostly do the same job of turning the juice on and off and on and off. MSD and other CDI do it slightly differently, not conclusive all those extra sparks actually make the engine run better but they do look nice.

To use the 38 ( I have the 38DGMS) you will need an adapter for stock and Offy manifolds. Weber also sell an adapter that will allow you to retain the factory TAC, this is a better air cleaner than the Redline filter supplied with the carb. If you want to go sophisticated Weber also sell a cap and hose so you can plumb it to a remote filter (I have a Donaldson 7" 2 stage filter on my Willys which would work great on a CJ in dusty or wet conditions) or snorkel.
74G8R2 likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #20 of 29 Old 05-07-2020, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
74G8R2
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptillnow View Post

UTN

Yes, appears to be same CAM with Grind # A6-252H-10. I can't even find where I got the X4250H from other than my notes. The spec sheet that came with the CAM shows LSA of 110.0 with Duration of 252, with 206 @ .050, and valve lift at .433. I can only pretend to know what those numbers mean but glad to know my engine guy picked the right one. Not surprised, he's been at it for over 50 years and builds everything from I-6's to drag racing engines for his son. Thanks again...

Camper
My 1980 CJ7 Build Thread: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/1980-cj7-love-ya-blue-19508/
post #21 of 29 Old 05-07-2020, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
74G8R2
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Watson View Post
Comp ground those with a lot of exhaust bias because, you know, engines running mostly throttled back produce more exhaust to get rid of and on a 111 LSA because, you know, 111s are for off-road and 107s and 108s are for circle track racing so it'll make your jeep want to turn left all the time

Shawn
Mine apparently is ground with a 110 LSA so I'm somewhere in between. Slow left turns?
Shawn Watson likes this.

Camper
My 1980 CJ7 Build Thread: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/1980-cj7-love-ya-blue-19508/
post #22 of 29 Old 05-08-2020, 07:35 AM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

Oh, I also used a Hedman 6-into-1 header and it worked well. The install was pretty easy meaning that you don't have to beat on or bend stuff to get it in there, it fit well and didn't leak. I believe you can buy them coated if you're after some bling.

Shawn
74G8R2 likes this.

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
post #23 of 29 Old 05-08-2020, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
74G8R2
1980 CJ7 

I keep coming back to the Offy intake...but its a 4bbl. Would like to use the Weber 38 DGES but it's a 2bbl. I have little knowledge of compatibility and would appreciate your input on whether this will even work. Does it only take an adapter? And how would this setup effect the performance of the engine? If this really isn't a good solution, then I'm looking at the Holley 4160 390CFM 4bbl carb on top of the Offy. Thoughts?

Camper
post #24 of 29 Old 05-08-2020, 05:38 PM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

I'd take one or the other; the Offy/390 combo or the OEM/Weber combo but not try to mix the two. You've got a better cam and a header so swing for the Offy/390. That's how I'd do it anyways.

Shawn
74G8R2 likes this.

post #25 of 29 Old 05-09-2020, 05:20 PM
agear
1984 CJ7 

John strenk and I used post 81 intake manifolds on our 79/80 heads. So it can be done with no.modification

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
post #26 of 29 Old 05-09-2020, 06:10 PM
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

I built a 258 with pretty much the same setup in the late 80's. I used a aftermarket distributor with pertronix pickup and flat top pistons. With that setup the 390 Holley was just about right. It would easily turn 6000 rpm's. If I where to do it again today what i would change is going with something like a fitech efi with the offy intake and a single outlet ceramic coated header. I would be very tempted to turbocharge it.

It used to be, God bless America, it has become God help America
post #27 of 29 Old 05-10-2020, 08:29 AM
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

DUI's are great, but pricey. A great alternative is to just get a CRT or other "decent" brand of HEI and use that. Those are still better than what you have now.

There is an "upgrade" of the Duraspark....most commonly called the "TFI Upgrade", where you put an adapter to use a larger cap, better coil, and then some go the last mile and put an HEI module on it.
It was originally called TFI because back in the day, you'd go find an 80's Ford with TFI (Thick Film Ignition) and rob the coil off of it...those coils are very similar to an HEI coil. And the big cap/rotor were also from TFI systems.
You can google "TFI upgrade" and find plenty of info about it.

The knock on HEI's 10 years ago was that some of the Chinese versions had hardened gears on them, and they were eating up cams. That's not been an issue for a long time, though.

After lots of work and tuning for the TFI upgrade, you end up with basically an HEI, but you still have your old distributor. Big cap...HEI alread has it. Adjustable? HEI is. Module? HEI's is better, that's why folks adapt HEI modules to their Durasparks.

Or, for about the same money, you buy the CRT or other "mid-grade" HEI, and you have an entirely brand-new ignition system. $125 and you're done, everything is brand-new.
How much difference there is between a DUI and CRT, I don't know. I suspect the only real difference is that the DUI is already custom-curved for your engine. Which might be worth the cost difference to some.

As far as carb, you have a good one chosen, as is the cam. You will feel a nice bump in the "seat of your pants" after this work.

I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
Jimmy V
post #28 of 29 Old 05-21-2020, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
74G8R2
1980 CJ7 

Vendor question

Is anyone familiar with White Owl Speed Equipment in Los Angeles, CA? I stumbled across them searching for information on the Offenhauser 6208C intake I plan to use. I've never come across them before but they show 6 intakes in stock and are priced over $100 cheaper. Summit shows estimated ship date as August 10th, so this has gotten my attention for obvious reasons. Any feedback on this vendor will be greatly appreciated. Would like to know I'm dealing with a reputable vendor before sending them my money.

Camper
post #29 of 29 Old 05-22-2020, 03:29 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Is anyone familiar with White Owl Speed Equipment in Los Angeles, CA? I stumbled across them searching for information on the Offenhauser 6208C intake I plan to use. I've never come across them before but they show 6 intakes in stock and are priced over $100 cheaper. Summit shows estimated ship date as August 10th, so this has gotten my attention for obvious reasons. Any feedback on this vendor will be greatly appreciated. Would like to know I'm dealing with a reputable vendor before sending them my money.
I live in LA....never heard of them or know any guys who are running something like that.

To be honest....all my jeep friends are running FI....either as a whole motor swap or bolt on kit like the Mopar, Howell or Spider. Once you go FI, you never go back.
74G8R2 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in