Need Advice For Replacing Brake Lines on an 83 CJ7 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 Old 04-15-2020, 08:49 PM
CSP

PB Blaster is good, but Kroil is way better as it penetrates joints instead of sitting on top of them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 04-16-2020, 08:29 AM
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeHiersSr View Post
The proper tool for removing those flare nuts is a crow-foot wrench......I would just get a good pair of Round Jaw Vice-grips to pull them.
No sir. The proper tool is not a crow foot wrench. The correct tool is a flare nut/line wrench which the OP used. Those Vice-Grips are good for breaking the nut loose but more often than not distorts the nut.
bob4703 likes this.
post #18 of 25 Old 04-16-2020, 10:04 PM
WadeHiersSr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post

No sir. The proper tool is not a crow foot wrench. The correct tool is a flare nut/line wrench which the OP used. Those Vice-Grips are good for breaking the nut loose but more often than not distorts the nut.
Can you tell me the difference between a crow foot wrench and a flare nut wrench? Have you never heard of a tool with two common names?

You obviously missed the first half of the thread. The OP is replacing his lines. Who care if the flare nuts that you're throwing out get torn up?

You noted that the OP used a flare nut wrench but missed in that same post that he had to resort to using vice-grips on a couple.

post #19 of 25 Old 04-17-2020, 01:30 AM
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeHiersSr View Post
Can you tell me the difference between a crow foot wrench and a flare nut wrench? Have you never heard of a tool with two common names?

You obviously missed the first half of the thread. The OP is replacing his lines. Who care if the flare nuts that you're throwing out get torn up?

You noted that the OP used a flare nut wrench but missed in that same post that he had to resort to using vice-grips on a couple.
A crows foot is like a regular open wrench that only goes against the two flats of a nut while a line / flare nut wrench goes around the nut with an open area for the line to go through.

I did not miss that part at all. He could have cut the brake line and put a socket on the compression nut.

Top picture is a crow foot. Bottom picture are line wrenches.
Attached Images

post #20 of 25 Old 04-17-2020, 07:49 AM
WadeHiersSr

I stand corrected... I have always called the wrench pictured in your second picture a crow-foot wrench. So I meant the same thing, but have obviously had the wrong name.

I stand by my comments on the vice-grips answer though. That was how I ultimately had to get mine done as well. I of course only used them to remove the old lines and it was quick and easy. Since I had the body off, I decided to bend my own new lines from NiCop tubing. There's even a cheap option for stainless line guards (that spring coil) on Amazon. All in, I think my new lines cost around $35.
Attached Thumbnails
20200408_183425.jpg  
post #21 of 25 Old 05-20-2020, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Willyc
1983 CJ7 

Final Udate

Well it’s done. I ended up having custom stainless brake lines bent for me. The shop I used was in NY so this pandemic stuff slowed the process. Getting the old lines off was as challenging as we all predicted. Every flare nut required vice grips to break lose. Two brake lines came out in pieces because the nut was rusted to the tube and twisted In two.

My CJ7 has a salvage title. Everything in front of the firewall is 1978. Everything else is 83. The brake line guy dubbed it “Frankenjeep”. Every part I replaced took at least two tries to get the right part. For instance the bleed valves on the calipers are 3/8, but on the rear drums they’re 10mm.

In the end it all worked out. One of the custom tubes was 3” too long. It is the long line from the metering valve to the rear brake hose. So it ended up with a higher arch tucked away above the transfer case brace/skid plate than the Arch there on the original tube. Otherwise old Blue is back on the road ready for new adventures.
post #22 of 25 Old 05-22-2020, 03:31 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks for the update. You will be glad you have SS.

Did you put any anti-seize on the nuts? Copper based is best....not bothered by the heat. Makes like a lot easier if you ever need to remove them.

And....any pics?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 25 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Willyc
1983 CJ7 

Yep. Everything has copper anti seize. Hopefully these tubes will last another 30 years and I won’t have to worry about breaking them lose again.
post #24 of 25 Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
hbar
1979 CJ7 

There is a special place somewhere reserved for people who replace the hard brake lines without removing the tub. I had to remove the radiator, but I was able to work around the steering shaft & ps hoses. Curious to hear your thoughts on feeding the long line from the. prop valve to the rear crossmember... I did it from the rear wheel well, but maybe there was an easier way?

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/r...lines-3288377/
post #25 of 25 Old Today, 06:58 PM
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyc View Post
For instance the bleed valves on the calipers are 3/8, but on the rear drums they’re 10mm.
I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the size of the bleeder screws. A lot of times the aftermarket replacement part uses a metric bleeder screw when the original was SAE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbar View Post
There is a special place somewhere reserved for people who replace the hard brake lines without removing the tub.
I was “fortunate” in that I replaced my fuel and brake lines when I did the frame swap. I say that because replacing the frame was not in my original plans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in