Need Advice - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-12-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Question Need Advice

I need so advice that isn't Jeep related but is Jeep Forum related. I'm not one to replace anything just to get a new one. That is why I have a 46 year old Jeep, a 32 year old camper, a 33 year old truck, and 17 year old DD truck.

So I'm sitting here reading about using shoe dye on fender flares, the color of spark plug tips, and a discussion as to why a CJ7 with 2.73 gears and 35" tires needs a tow truck to climb a hill. My wife asks me "How long have you been using that laptop? I used to use it and quit because it too slow. It's 10 years old or older and I think you need a new one. That's what I'll get you for Christmas, but you'll have to pick it out because I know nothing about computers."

So yesterday we go to Wally World to look at laptops. Low end starts at around $200 and for my use low end is all I need. I have two choices for the same bucks either a Windows machine or a Chromebook. I've read about Chromebook security problems, but have read that they have fixed that. Usually I use my phone to order on line so that isn't much of a concern. I'm looking at what appears to be the same computer with the same price and different operating systems.

Okay who has any experience with a newer Chromebook? Is it better than a low end windows machine?

Thanks in advance for any meaningful advice.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4703 View Post
I need so advice that isn't Jeep related but is Jeep Forum related. I'm not one to replace anything just to get a new one. That is why I have a 46 year old Jeep, a 32 year old camper, a 33 year old truck, and 17 year old DD truck.

So I'm sitting here reading about using shoe dye on fender flares, the color of spark plug tips, and a discussion as to why a CJ7 with 2.73 gears and 35" tires needs a tow truck to climb a hill. My wife asks me "How long have you been using that laptop? I used to use it and quit because it too slow. It's 10 years old or older and I think you need a new one. That's what I'll get you for Christmas, but you'll have to pick it out because I know nothing about computers."

So yesterday we go to Wally World to look at laptops. Low end starts at around $200 and for my use low end is all I need. I have two choices for the same bucks either a Windows machine or a Chromebook. I've read about Chromebook security problems, but have read that they have fixed that. Usually I use my phone to order on line so that isn't much of a concern. I'm looking at what appears to be the same computer with the same price and different operating systems.

Okay who has any experience with a newer Chromebook? Is it better than a low end windows machine?

Thanks in advance for any meaningful advice.
My 13 year old uses a Chromebook for school. Our school has them for every student and it has been this way for almost 5 years. I am on the schoolboard and I haven't heard any complaints.

As far as getting a computer? I have not had one of my own for about 7 years (I do have one at work) . I just use my phone or tablet.
ksaintj likes this.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #3 of 21 Old 12-12-2019, 10:58 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

A lot depends how much you got to spend.

If all you are going to do is web browsing you don't need much.

Heck, I do all my web browsing on a $35.00 Raspberry Pi 4 these days.
But you do have to buy a monitor but you can probably find those starting around $60.00

So for under $100, you can have a quad core computer just for browsing.
ksaintj likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 21 Old 12-12-2019, 11:03 AM
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
At wallys world, do they let you use the display like a computer or do they just have a demo screen on repeat? The only reason I say this is, use it like you would at home for about 15 minutes. Bring up this website or amazon, etc. and see how the look feels to you. Essentially take it for a test drive in the store. Type a small word document up to see if you like the keyboard and what not.

As far as computers go, I feel like the insides are roughly the same at the price range your looking at. I can't vouch for the Chromebook but I use a windows at work and I have a Mac for personal use that I used in college.

Here is a website I found with pros and cons of the Chromebook. https://3dinsider.com/chromebook-pros-and-cons/
You may have seen this if you researched them. Some of their talking points may not apply to you sense this is a 3D printing website but maybe it is a helpful read.

Good luck!
bob4703 likes this.

CJ-7 build
post #5 of 21 Old 12-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Intel i5 processor, 8 gig of ram and a solid state hard drive running windows 10 pro would be the specs I would be looking at. This will get you another 10 years of good usage. Low end is ok, but hardware life expectancy isn't what it could be. Are you opposed to refurb/open box? Woot has a few with those specs in the $250-$300 dollar range that run about $100 less than buying new.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/hp...nd_cat_pc_2_29

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #6 of 21 Old 12-12-2019, 01:41 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Intel i5 processor, 8 gig of ram and a solid state hard drive running windows 10 would be the specs I would be looking at. This will get you another 10 years of good usage. Low end is ok, but hardware life expectancy isn't what it could be. Are you opposed to refurb/open box? Woot has a few with those specs in the $250-$300 dollar range that run about $100 less than buying new.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/hp...nd_cat_pc_2_29
Wow, that looks pretty good.
ksaintj likes this.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #7 of 21 Old 12-12-2019, 03:55 PM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

post #8 of 21 Old 12-12-2019, 05:03 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I bought a Dell XPS 13.3" Windows 10 laptop from Costco in October and love it. Nice and compact , very fast and excellent battery life. I use it a lot for web browsing, my business and for programming my RC helicopters and airplanes. No quirks so far, hasn't frozen once yet. Probably the best computer I've ever bought and I've owned a bunch since 1995.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-12-2019, 09:24 PM
andysbarker

1980 CJ5 

I have significant experience with both. Just my personal experience and opinion...

I have used windows computers for decades. Home use, college, and all of my jobs (I currently work as a mechanical engineer and use many programs heavily).

My kids have used chromebooks for school for years.

I find the chrome book very frustrating. It doesn’t have an operating system. It is all ran through google and google docs.
A chrome book would not even be an option for college or work. Standard programs cannot be installed on a chrome book; no ms office (no word, excel, PowerPoint, ...). No programs that are required at work, or were required in college can be used on a chrome book. Even opening or saving files is ridiculous; no desktop or c drive. Everything is on google drive. There are no programs, only apps. A chrome book is apps and google documents and google drive.

I would suggest getting the windows computer, with a real operating system; an operating system that has been a dominating leader and industry standard for decades, which all significant programs work on.

If you are used to windows, I think the chrome book will drive you insane.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-13-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Thanks for the info and advice. I've used windows machines for 30+ years so I'll go with another. Now all I have to decide on is which brand.

Thanks again!

Bob

-----

post #11 of 21 Old 12-13-2019, 07:58 AM
CrustySprings
1985 CJ7 

I despise windows 10. I bought an Apple Mac Book Pro laptop and couldn't be happier.

258 cu. inch six, Team Rush ignition upgrade, T5, Dana 300, Superwinch lockouts, Black Diamond 3" suspension lift, greasable shackles, poly bushings, JKS quick discos, 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT's, American Racing 23 15x8 alloys, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio, 2' adjustable tip Firestick antenna, Viair 460 onboard air system
post #12 of 21 Old 12-13-2019, 08:24 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustySprings View Post
I despise windows 10. I bought an Apple Mac Book Pro laptop and couldn't be happier.

What version of Windows 10 did you try out? Home or Pro? Also where are you finding a Mac Book Pro for the OP's around $200 budget?

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #13 of 21 Old 12-14-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

I turned down a free age unknown Macbook last week. It didn't have a power supply or any goodies to go with it. I figured that to get it operational it would cost as much as a new low end PC.

Like many others who use this forum I didn't do a lot of research before asking this question. Deer-Slayer sent me to a very informative link and led to my decision to go with a Windows laptop. Comparing the info sheet for the Chrome and Windows laptops show that they are identical as to features except for operating systems. I'm a little confused as to how Chrome would use the onboard storage if it relies cloud storage.

The fact that I would have to have constant internet is the deciding factor for me. I cut the cable two years ago because of the skyrocketing cable rates. We've had a $10 data plan in our cell service plan for years which I used when away from home in areas with no free internet service. Now I use it at home.

I am now using a 10 year old Samsung Netbook running Windows 7. My only ***** is that I have to wait for 30 minutes or more for it to boot, check for virus updates, and do a virus scan. I quit doing Windows updates last year in that there is an update that hangs everything up until i do a restore. My wife used it for a while and quit because it took so long to boot. I inherited it when my old laptop died. Now she says she is going to replace it so if I don't pick one out she will. That is how we ended up with a tiny screened Netbook. Despise what everyone says about Windows 10 It has to be better than Seven.

Dryseals that looks like the same one or similar to what I looked at in Wally World. I have two choices locally that sell computers--WW and staples. Staples doesn't carry anything that inexpensive.

Again thanks for the advice y'all!
Deer-Slayer_5 likes this.

-----

post #14 of 21 Old 12-17-2019, 09:37 PM
JGCPlatinum

Time for a change in your life-technology marches on faster than you think. Your windows 7 operating system is a slug to the new Windows 10, 7 does not have updates anymore, your getting a lot of malware now. My computer from the time I press on till the sign in is 12 seconds. upgrades are automatic when you shut down, so don't effect your time. The new laptops don't use the mechanical drives anymore to store data. They are SSD -Solid State Drives-super fast for storing and accessing data. You will get what you pay for in a laptop, so look on line, amazon etc. Will be able to upgrade and save some money for a better unit. Look for an Intel I-7 processor in the unit. Good luck
post #15 of 21 Old 12-17-2019, 11:36 PM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

I have a Toshiba at home that runs windows 7. It was decent computer, but windows 7 is horrible. I did try to update it to 10 one time, but it really slowed it down and the laptop wasn't able to run it. I do, however, use it to surf the web and check this site occasionally when I don't bring my work computer home. It is a decent computer, but was a low end model, and would be considered obsolete now. It does have the i3 processor which is probably the only reason that it is still fast enough to use on a regular basis.

I will say this, my work computer is a Lenovo ThinkPad T470. It is fantastic and is priced very well at about 600 bucks considering how powerful it is. It is actually the second Thinkpad I have had. My first one was when I was in college and from what I remember, it too was very good and lasted a very long time. I actually ended up selling it on ebay for a pretty penny about 6 years after i got it since so many people were trying to keep theirs running with parts from older ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in