• 3 Post By Matt1981CJ7
  • 1 Post By finsfree
  • 1 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-14-2021, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
finsfree

1980 CJ7 

Narrow Track vs Wide Track?

I have a bone stock 1980 CJ7 4.2l narrow track jeep.

I want to restore this jeep and purchase a new frame/chassis for it. I see that you can purchase two different types of frames narrow track & wide track. What is "wide" about a wide track frame? Would I be able to use a my current stock axles on a wide frame or do I need to purchase NEW axles to fix this type of frame?

I believe wide track CJ7 came out in 82'. What makes the CJ7 a wide track? Is it the frame or the axles?

Can someone elaborate a little on this for me?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-14-2021, 06:42 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

Wide and narrow track refers to the axle length, not the frame. IIRC correctly the wide track axles where about 4" longer than narrow track.

I don't believe there was any differences in the frame between a '80 narrow track and a '82 wide track. Someone please correct me, If I'm wrong.

BTW, a quality set of wheel spacers will give your narrow tracks almost the same width as the wide tracks. That's the route I went on my '81. and have had zero problems with them.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-14-2021, 07:30 AM
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
The only difference in the wide/narrow track frame that I am aware of would be the front shock mounting "towers"... with the narrow track having the short stubby mounts and the wide track having the taller mounts... otherwise the frames are dimensionally the same.

As Matt said the axles make a CJ a wide or narrow track and either can be made to fit on either frame. The wide track dana 30 has the provision for the lower shock mount on the axle tube where as the narrow track does not.

I have wide track axles on my '78's frame.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-14-2021, 08:03 AM
InjectedCJ7

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Wide and narrow track refers to the axle length, not the frame. IIRC correctly the wide track axles where about 4" longer than narrow track.

I don't believe there was any differences in the frame between a '80 narrow track and a '82 wide track. Someone please correct me, If I'm wrong.

BTW, a quality set of wheel spacers will give your narrow tracks almost the same width as the wide tracks. That's the route I went on my '81. and have had zero problems with them.

Matt
Hi Matt,
Not trying to hijack the thread, but could you expand a bit on what extra parts and work are involved in adding the wheel spacers? My CJ7 is narrow track (78), and Iím curious how difficult it would be to add the spacers.

Thanks,
John
post #5 of 11 Old 06-14-2021, 08:11 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

John,

The wheel spacers are a simple bolt on part. Take the wheel off, bolt on the spacer, and put the wheel back on. That's all there is to it.

I run the SpiderTrax 1.25" spacers from Q-Tec on all 4 wheels.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/9...xoC1YEQAvD_BwE

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
SpringOn.jpg  

post #6 of 11 Old 06-14-2021, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
finsfree

1980 CJ7 

Okay, so when ordering a frame and they say "wide track frame" (example in the link below) they are referring to the fact that it is already setup to handle wide track axles mounted on to it? Just so we are clear, wide track axles means both front and rear axles are 4" wider than narrow track?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/5...hochnwqavd_bwe

Which bring me to my next question, If I bought a "wide track frame" does that mean I need to purchased wide track axles (front and rear) to go with it?
post #7 of 11 Old 06-14-2021, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
finsfree

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoffroad View Post
The only difference in the wide/narrow track frame that I am aware of would be the front shock mounting "towers"... with the narrow track having the short stubby mounts and the wide track having the taller mounts... otherwise the frames are dimensionally the same.

As Matt said the axles make a CJ a wide or narrow track and either can be made to fit on either frame. The wide track dana 30 has the provision for the lower shock mount on the axle tube where as the narrow track does not.

I have wide track axles on my '78's frame.

Can you post a picture of your jeep with the wide axles?

Thanks,
post #8 of 11 Old 06-14-2021, 08:30 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfree View Post
Okay, so when ordering a frame and they say "wide track frame" (example in the link below) they are referring to the fact that it is already setup to handle wide track axles mounted on to it? Just so we are clear, wide track axles means both front and rear axles are 4" wider than narrow track?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/5...hochnwqavd_bwe

Which bring me to my next question, If I bought a "wide track frame" does that mean I need to purchased wide track axles (front and rear) to go with it?

TDK welds the narrow track front upper shock mount to the frame. They give you the bolt holes in the frame for the wide track front upper shock mounts. if you ordered a wide track frame, you would need to weld on new front upper shock mounts

I would cut out the middle man and order directly from TDK. They will be able to answer any questions that you may have and make sure that you get what you need.

https://throttledownkustoms.com/i-26...tegory:1402117

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #9 of 11 Old 06-14-2021, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
finsfree

1980 CJ7 

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
TDK welds the narrow track front upper shock mount to the frame. They give you the bolt holes in the frame for the wide track front upper shock mounts. if you ordered a wide track frame, you would need to weld on new front upper shock mounts

I would cut out the middle man and order directly from TDK. They will be able to answer any questions that you may have and make sure that you get what you need.

That was helpful. There is a local jeep builder/restorer here and he uses the same TDK frames. Now I know where he is getting them from. I remember seeing the logo I the front of the frames "TDK" at he's shop.

Thanks for that
Fourtrail likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-14-2021, 10:04 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post

Like Fourtrail says, with the narrow track frame you get one of these welded on for the front shock mount.
Name:  ShockMountNewFrame.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  16.5 KB
this is actually the rear mount but the front looks the same.

With a wide track frame you get 3 hole drilled into the frame to mount your shock towers. They might have a reinforcement tube through the frame.

I was thinking about ordering a frame with the wide track setup and just get a longer shock. But this AFW frame was offered so cheap, that I jumped on it anyway.
Anyway I was not sure if the shock was mounted in the same location between the wide and narrow.

Wide track shocks bottom mount above the spring pack and the narrow track shocks bottom mounts below the spring pack.
I think you can still use the narrow track shock mounts on a wide track axle as long as you use the narrow track mounting plate on the bottom of the spring.
cjoffroad likes this.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #11 of 11 Old 06-14-2021, 02:57 PM
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfree View Post
Can you post a picture of your jeep with the wide axles?

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I think you can still use the narrow track shock mounts on a wide track axle as long as you use the narrow track mounting plate on the bottom of the spring.
I used the narrow track shock mounts as John mentioned. I ended up grinding off the lower shock mount from the dana 30.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2969.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in