My OBA pictures.. finally done! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
mmerlina

1986 CJ7 

My OBA pictures.. finally done!

I've been wrestling with this project and procrastinating on it for a while now.. but finally last night it all came together. There's a couple minor things left like getting a nylon strap to hold the tank down in the back, stuff like that. But anyways..

The only real thing left is wiring the clutch to the switch and maybe a light that comes on when it's engaged, cause I have a 90/120 pressure switch controlling the power. I'm heading to the shop today to do that.

The compressor.. (York 210)

Unfinished manifold...

Finished manifold...

Filter & regulator, basically everything overall...

Front quick disconnect behind the bumper... (it has a plastic cap on it now)

Rear disconnects.. there's 2 in there. One goes to the tank and one stays available.

The tank is on a quick disconnect so I can take it out and keep it pressurized. I need to add a "T" to the tank so I can put a gauge on it. And also I'd like to put a gauge on the dash eventually.

So anyways there it is! I'd like to thank the many people here who helped make it possible by answering many of my questions along the way. And a special thanks to JeepHammer for providing me with some parts! Thanks again!

Mike

Mike

1986 Jeep CJ7 (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 08:21 AM
JeepHammer
Web Wheeler
1973 CJ5 

Looks very useful!
What I normally do is put in a full pressure tap before the regulator (air chuck before regulator so you get full tank/compressor pressure)

And a second tap after the regulator.
That way I can run something like an air tool on 120 psi pressure while the regulator is airing up a tire at 35 psi or another tool that uses reduced pressure, like a cut off tool or something.

By setting the regulator to 35 psi, you can connect to a tire, walk off, and not have the 'BOOM!' you would normally expect if you walked off with 120 psi hooked to a tire!

Gives me free hands for an after trail 'Beverage' in one hand and I can tell lies with the other hand!
And I don't have to worry about blowing a tire up!

Did you plumb in the emergency compressor someplace?
Those little electric compressors are good to set up with HEAVY clamps at the battery cable and use in emergencies when the engine can't run, or you can 'Lend' air or 'Carry' air places you need more than just the tank.

Do you think we should give points for color matching the tank to the Jeep?

REMEMBER,
'Free' internet information is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!
LINK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:
post #3 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
mmerlina

1986 CJ7 

Hey yeah I was kind of looking at the regulator when it was airing up for the first time thinking I should have it elsewhere.. but it was an all in one with the filter so it didn't dawn on me until after. I can always run a separate regulated "tire filling" line and keep the main one at 125psi.

I haven't put in the emergency compressor yet.. I still have 2 open slots on my manifold so there's plenty of room for more stuff. I'm just so damn happy to have finally successfully finished it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
Do you think we should give points for color matching the tank to the Jeep?
Haha and yeah.. Tractor Supply had YELLOW ONES so I was psyched. My wife is pretty artistic so I offered it to her to put a paint job on it.. was thinking just a yellow/black tribal look. Any way to bring the wife into a project like this is a good thing.. keeps her happy and off your back!

Mike

1986 Jeep CJ7 (
)

Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work

post #4 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 05:14 PM
JeepHammer
Web Wheeler
1973 CJ5 

My Jeep is all color matched!
Rust & mud go well together!

I wouldn't be so quick to put the air taps outside the engine bay...
I've found that I have my hood up when working on something anyway,
And if you run lines, Murphy's law says they will leak/get ripped off at the first possible Inconvenience!

REMEMBER,
'Free' internet information is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!
LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:
post #5 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 05:22 PM
-BeNt-
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice man, I'm thinking sometime in the future I'm going to do this. How long is the York pump good for, or how long do you plan on it lasting before a rebuild? What kind of strain does it put on the motor when it's running? Did you have to do any other modifications to other components of the Jeep to be able to pull this off, for instance pulling off the air conditioning etc? Looks good!
post #6 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 06:39 PM
fwlslyr
1975 CJ5 

Sweet. If you wheel in the mud you might consider moving your quick connect up somewhere higher.

75 CJ 5
AMX 401
Wrapped in Glass
Warn 8274, 34" LTB's, 4" Lift, Cheapo Aluminum Wheels, Home made Snorkel, Stainless Nerf Bars and airbox, Dual exhaust, fully locked 44's, CB, high lift, LCD tail lights, KC's.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
mmerlina

1986 CJ7 

Well in order to rip a line it would have to be an amazing shot! From that quick disconnect it heads right into the frame and doesn't come out until it's right under the manifold. Same goes for the rear line, out of the manifold, into the frame.. and it doesn't pop back out until it gets fished into the cab.

I also have my ARB air locker lines fished into the frame to keep them protected.

I do wheel in the mud occasionally.. it's not in that pic but there's a full cap over that outside qd right now, so that'll protect it from the elements. The reason it's there is because I wanted quick and easy access to a port when filling tires and stuff.

With my 11 gallon reserve @125psi I ran a 1/2" drive craftsman impact gun for a while before I noticed any performance drop in it.. way longer than you'd need to be running it constantly on anything. So I'm real happy with that.

There's still a few more things I'd like to do with the system to make it more adaptable, but I'm extremely happy to finally have the basics of it done and operational.. it's easy to add stuff on.

Mike

1986 Jeep CJ7 (
)

post #8 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Bigskyxj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlina View Post
Well in order to rip a line it would have to be an amazing shot! From that quick disconnect it heads right into the frame and doesn't come out until it's right under the manifold. Same goes for the rear line, out of the manifold, into the frame.. and it doesn't pop back out until it gets fished into the cab.

I also have my ARB air locker lines fished into the frame to keep them protected.

I do wheel in the mud occasionally.. it's not in that pic but there's a full cap over that outside qd right now, so that'll protect it from the elements. The reason it's there is because I wanted quick and easy access to a port when filling tires and stuff.

With my 11 gallon reserve @125psi I ran a 1/2" drive craftsman impact gun for a while before I noticed any performance drop in it.. way longer than you'd need to be running it constantly on anything. So I'm real happy with that.

There's still a few more things I'd like to do with the system to make it more adaptable, but I'm extremely happy to finally have the basics of it done and operational.. it's easy to add stuff on.

How many seconds does it take to fill the tank to 120psi from zero psi?

J umps
E ach and
E very
P ot Hole
If you are currently serving or have served check out

post #9 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
mmerlina

1986 CJ7 

I haven't timed it yet.. but it would depend on how fast the engine is running. Lots of people install a throttle control to crank up the rpms so the compressor spins faster. I'll test it at idle cause I was curious about that too.

Mike

1986 Jeep CJ7 (
)

post #10 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

So you have the regulator between the compressor and the tank? I'd think the pressure switch in the manifold after the compressor before the tank would be sufficient. Then a regulator after the tank for the outlet lines. The switch won't overfill the tank, and then you have the regulator to adjust for tire pressures, equipment pressures, etc. Usually tank pressure is a little above the regulated air anyways. less work on the compressor since the tank will have to bleed down some before it would need to come on to stay at/above the regulated pressure.

I'd maybe "T" in your ARB compressor to the tank, so it helps the OBA if needed, but the OBA will then run the ARBs when you use them. Put a check valve on the outlet of the ARB compressor so that it wont be trying to force air backwards thru it. This would give you the electric backup compressor too.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

post #11 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
mmerlina

1986 CJ7 

Yes you are right about the regulator.. I was thinking exactly what you are thinking the first time I fired it up. I thought having the filter/regulator all in one was going to be one less thing I had to worry about but it bit me in the ***. It's not a huge problem though, I can always leave that one wide open and plumb one in after the manifold somewhere.

And yeah I thought about bringing the ARB stuff into the picture. Right now I'm just happy to have it operational, and I'll just take some notes on where I'd like to see it go from here.. and then maybe one day implement some of that stuff.

The feedback and the ideas are very much appreciated, I always try to keep an open mind to ideas. Thanks again!

Mike

1986 Jeep CJ7 (
)

post #12 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Bigskyxj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

so whats the status, I really am curious about how long it takes to go from null to full

J umps
E ach and
E very
P ot Hole

post #13 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
mmerlina

1986 CJ7 

Oh crap I filled it up today to play with the air gun and I forgot to time it. I gotta go out there and take a couple measurements right now anyways, I'll do it right now. I'll post back in a few.

Mike

1986 Jeep CJ7 (
)

post #14 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
mmerlina

1986 CJ7 

Okay.. to fill an 11 gallon tank to 120psi

At 800 rpm (idle) -- 3:02m
At 2000 rpm -- 1:17m

I thought the latter was pretty respectable time. Even considering I could have bumped it up to 2500 if I wanted to.

Mike

1986 Jeep CJ7 (
)

post #15 of 17 Old 03-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Bigskyxj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Wow that is pretty good.

J umps
E ach and
E very
P ot Hole

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in