My cj7 stalls when I accelerate - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By LumpyGrits
  • 1 Post By ddawg16

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-12-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Hunter Petersen

Hey everyone, just got my jeep running, cleaned up the carb. Now it will start running, and it will idle all day. It will go if I slowly give it gas, but if I try to accelerate too quickly it will stall. Any ideas what could be the issue?

Last edited by Hunter Petersen; 06-18-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-12-2019, 06:47 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Probably fuel related.

You need to figure out if it's a rich bog, or a lean cut out. The plugs should offer some clues.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 06-13-2019, 05:49 AM
Deer-Slayer_5

What year is it and what engine? When I bought my 85 CJ, the guy I bought it from had done a "nutter bypass" on the 258 and didn't change the carburetor. That and the engine was worn out. Mine would idle but as soon as you gave it gas it would die. Slapped a pre-emmisons carb on the jeep and it ran fine other than having a lot of blow by. Since I've had it running, I tore it apart and had it rebuilt but haven't started it yet. Just thought I would share my experience with an 84 to 86 258.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-13-2019, 09:14 AM
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Lots of things can cause that problem. It can be maddening. Too much fuel, not enough fuel, not enough air, clogged exhaust, poor spark, bad timing, etc

I think on mine, I've had that happen with a clogged cat, a clogged carb jet, a loose distributor (way off!), a pinched fuel line, sticky float, a stick choke.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-13-2019, 04:21 PM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Worn accelerator pump or low setting of float level, is where I would start.
If you would fill out your profile-That would help us, to help you.........
LG
TIPPEDITOVER likes this.

Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
post #6 of 14 Old 06-13-2019, 06:35 PM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Petersen View Post
Hey everyone, just got my jeep running, cleaned up the carb. Now it will start running, and it will idle all day. It will go if I slowly give it gas, but if I try to accelerate to quickly it will stall. Any ideas what could be the issue?
Does it hesitate when you give it gas? If so look down the carb and give it a little gas, if you see a fuel spray into the carb, then thats going to be OK. Timing would be next....one thing at a time.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-15-2019, 09:34 PM
willyboy123

stick a piece of wire in there and hold the choke in the off position. Ive seen the vacumm from the intake pull the choke shut. just an idea
post #8 of 14 Old 06-16-2019, 09:43 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Dist advance hooked up right?

As you can see from above, lots of reasons.

I'd start with the accel pump. With the engine off and the air cleaner off, look down the throat of the carb. Move the accel linkage. If you see squirts of gas in the throat, accel pump might be ok.

And as Deer asked....year, engine, carb, etc.
TIPPEDITOVER likes this.

post #9 of 14 Old 06-17-2019, 09:43 AM
Deer-Slayer_5

As I am seeing more replys, take a look at your fuel lines leading to the carb to see how close they are to the engine. If the engine is getting warm and the fuel lines are close to the engine, I wonder if you are experiencing "vapor lock" in the fuel lines. Heat causes the fuel to vaporize prematurely and will cause bogging or no fuel to the carb. It may run at idle in vapor lock but as soon as you want to give it gas it will die.

I'm having to keep this in mind while routing my fuel lines on my jeep because it goes over the valve cover on the 258.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-17-2019, 10:01 AM
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

look in your fuel tank, drop it and clean it out, I had the same issues with my 78 cj5, it would idle all day long like yours, but bog down under load. I dropped the tank and cleaned it out, it was full of sludge and mud (how????), but once I got that out and POR coated the inside of the tank and buttoned it back up and hooked everything back u and problem solved
post #11 of 14 Old 06-17-2019, 11:10 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer-Slayer_5 View Post
As I am seeing more replys, take a look at your fuel lines leading to the carb to see how close they are to the engine. If the engine is getting warm and the fuel lines are close to the engine, I wonder if you are experiencing "vapor lock" in the fuel lines. Heat causes the fuel to vaporize prematurely and will cause bogging or no fuel to the carb. It may run at idle in vapor lock but as soon as you want to give it gas it will die.

I'm having to keep this in mind while routing my fuel lines on my jeep because it goes over the valve cover on the 258.
258's don't vapor lock. Cracked fuel lines and sucking air? Yes....vapor lock? No.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-17-2019, 11:12 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdubose View Post
look in your fuel tank, drop it and clean it out, I had the same issues with my 78 cj5, it would idle all day long like yours, but bog down under load. I dropped the tank and cleaned it out, it was full of sludge and mud (how????), but once I got that out and POR coated the inside of the tank and buttoned it back up and hooked everything back u and problem solved
And your pickup filter was gunked up. A quick vac test with a hand vac pump would have shown that one.

On a jeep that old, I hope you replaced all the rubber fuel lines.

post #13 of 14 Old 06-18-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Hunter Petersen

Thank you everyone I’m just going to make a checklist and go through all of this when I get a day. Also it is a 1979 with a 304 and a Holley 470 carb.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-18-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Hunter Petersen

Something I forgot to mention. It will start with starter fluid and after it is warmed up it will start by itself, but it won’t start with a cold engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in