Ms. J's CJ7 2.0 - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
 84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 155 Old 09-26-2021, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
PrincessJ

1983 CJ7 

Lets talk about brakes and on board air. I was after a braking system that was mechanical yet could stop a 40 in tire. Realizing I upgraded the rear to disk brakes, I couldnt use just any master cylinder because valving. I have seen several buggy setups with wilwood dual master cylinder setups and they would be stopping 43s efficiently. I went back to the 60s model corvette as several of them had 4 wheel mechanical disk brakes. I ended up using the small bore master cylinder with early ford clevis style pedal rod to get the proper travel. I went through 8 different combos before I got the brakes tuned where I would be comfortable with others driving and I could daily it. I also got parking brake cables from wildhorses4x4 which are mainly a bronco company but since I did a ford 9 with dsk upgrade and both our wheel bases are similar I gave it a shot and was pleased.

The onbard air is the ARB twin also setup for air lockers. The switch placment is a little tacky and exposed but all in do time will I make corrections. I have a genright cage going in it so that would be the perfect time. A couple people always end up snapping pics of me in the moment. As you can see post my shakedown run I was airing up.

Soon to follow, more trail shake dows and steering upgrades.

Airing up furnature dolly

"Simple is Reliable"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Military service: March 2007-(I will fill this out with im done.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 155 Old 09-29-2021, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
PrincessJ

1983 CJ7 

Lets address the steering befoer I sart taking this on longer road trips. The stock steering is okay at best but with the addition of larger tires add more stress on the factory components. I have alread added the MORE HD steering box mount as well as the cross brase from snout of the pitman arm splines to the other side of the frame. That was plenty daily driving on 35s but the steering wheel still had play in it. This was not an issues with ability to controll but just the additional movement of correction inorder to maintain a straight path. I ended up upgrading the original lower colum bearing to a wolfe engineering one, added a borgesion steering shaft, powersteering cooler, and finally an AGR box with astro van pitman arm also ported for hydro assist for the future. I can now say after wheeling with both combos, I have made the right choice and the handling makes the cost well worth it along with the time it took to install everything. I was also resealing my third member at this time so everything was apart. I didnt get a good pic how I mounted the cooler but I will post eventually.

NashvilleTJ likes this.

"Simple is Reliable"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #153 of 155 Old 10-06-2021, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
PrincessJ

1983 CJ7 

First long trip 300 miles to north east Dallas from san antonio. Got to stop by collins brothers and ironically I had to get them to reflare my rear brake line as it developed a crack. All trips are not without some sort of hurdle to deal with. As you can see the hotel parking garage was low and it was cutting it close. Almost had to air down to park lol.

"Simple is Reliable"

post #154 of 155 Old 10-07-2021, 01:27 PM
76cj5248

Garage
I just read through your whole build and I'm impressed. Very nice work all the way and as has been said here thank you for your service. Excellent work
post #155 of 155 Old 10-08-2021, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
PrincessJ

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76cj5248 View Post
I just read through your whole build and I'm impressed. Very nice work all the way and as has been said here thank you for your service. Excellent work
much appreciated. It is not pretty by any means and there are more things I wish I could do like remove the body and go throgh everything but the unfortunate instability of my military assignments and or deployments make it not feasable at this present time. I am also still learning a lot of this as I am by no means an expert. I am mechanically inclined and that was my first job in the army but mechanically inclination is where it stops, the rest is learning from experienced people through these forums and the CJ pages on FB.

"Simple is Reliable"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in