• 1 Post By JEEPFELLER
  • 1 Post By BagusJeep
  • 1 Post By BagusJeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-17-2021, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Inappropriatus

1986 CJ7 

Motor needs for an AMC 6 4.2 liter, 86 CJ

I am having trouble finding two things for my 4.2 liter, AMC 6, in an 86 CJ7.

One is a replacement radiator. I am primarily looking for original stock replacement, but will consider most anything that truly fits...even with the electric fan on the front. I am attaching pics of the old one, with and without the shroud if that will help.

The other item is/are push rods. The head was pulled for grinding and a pressure check, and two of the rods were slightly tweaked when I did the roll test. I would like a full set just to be sure they all match well. There's a pic of the new head, installed just for fun.

Attached Thumbnails
20210816_174424.jpg   20210816_174421.jpg   20210816_174149.jpg   20210816_174440.jpg  

Inappropriatus
1986 CJ7 aka “The Old Man”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-17-2021, 09:24 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Here's a REAL radiator!

Brass

Lifetime warranty (yes, they honor the warranty, keep the receipt, copy it if it's thermal) They may keep track a couple of years---then it's all on you to produce the proof.

https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...r-b58/6165_0_0

My whole Jeep is comprised of life warranties , I keep them in a binder, my oldest 1987 (alternator), I haven't had to buy many items! They do go up in price over time.....a life warranty sorta exempts you, unless you kick off!

I'll look up my pushrods when I get to my book in the morning.

----JEEPFELLER
devildog80 likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-18-2021, 01:40 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

A rad shop could melt the solder and recore your radiator for less than the cost of a new one.

If you have any overheating concerns, say you tow up mountains, you can replace with a 3 core radiator, which is the heavy duty version.

Also, your shroud does not look stock. maybe it is, but all mine have a gap at the bottom.
devildog80 likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER

post #4 of 12 Old 08-18-2021, 09:56 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

This what I bought 8 years ago. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s.../cj5/year/1974 It is identical to the one I destroyed except it has the A/T coolant tank on the bottom. You should take your original to a repair shop and see if it is repairable. Push rods can be ordered by any local parts store where you can visually compare the old and new. There is nothing exotic about a 258 engine that would make parts hard to find.

Good luck!

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #5 of 12 Old 08-18-2021, 12:43 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Maybe just sitting on the boat off shore, still waiting to get Covid cleared, for off load at the dock. Have heard some have been sitting out there over a year waiting to come into port.
I bought an OEM replacement timing chain/gear set about a month back at FLAPS for around $35. The box looked like it had been on a shelf somewhere since 1980, and the parts inside were clean, so thinking about buying a second set in case someone close by me needed them. I asked the clerk how many of these were in stock (I am in southern AZ), and he said their system was showing only 2 after I purchased mine, with one in Phoenix and the other in Los Angeles. Said they have some parts back ordered with no ETA for replenishment.
I decided to not get the second set, so someone else could get them, before I would probably have need of them.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-18-2021, 12:52 PM
uptillnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog80 View Post
Maybe just sitting on the boat off shore, still waiting to get Covid cleared, for off load at the dock. Have heard some have been sitting out there over a year waiting to come into port.
I bought an OEM replacement timing chain/gear set about a month back at FLAPS for around $35. The box looked like it had been on a shelf somewhere since 1980, and the parts inside were clean, so thinking about buying a second set in case someone close by me needed them. I asked the clerk how many of these were in stock (I am in southern AZ), and he said their system was showing only 2 after I purchased mine, with one in Phoenix and the other in Los Angeles. Said they have some parts back ordered with no ETA for replenishment.
I decided to not get the second set, so someone else could get them, before I would probably have need of them.
These "boats" offshore is no joke, worldwide!
They have closed some ports due to Covid, one in China which cripples the whole cycle of ships stopping at each port in the world.
We haven't yet seen the trouble this is going to cause.
UTN
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ca...sfmc_id=357369
post #7 of 12 Old 08-18-2021, 10:57 PM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

Turnover at my local port in Malaysia has gone through the roof. That is, your container is booked on one ship but gets turned over to another ship because your ship sailed straight past fully loaded or you got passed over for another container that was already turned over. After 7 or 8 turnovers you start to see a pattern.

I got one finally on to a ship to Hamburg after 2 months wait only for it to get stick at the Suez Canal behind the ship that got stuck.

And on the saga went.

The blocks at US and European ports means containers and ships are not coming back as fast, this has meant West bound rates going from $2,500 to $10,000 a container in the space of 9 months. I am shipping the household effects of one of my colleagues back to Europe by plane, as it is now cheaper than shipping for smaller loads.
uptillnow likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #8 of 12 Old 08-19-2021, 12:14 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Any parts we currently have, broken/bent/etc.....better hang onto them, as better to have a broken part in hand you can try to fix, than one back ordered some where out there on the computer screen! Might be needing those "slightly bent" push rods, just so you can drive your rig, until better parts are found.
Thinking we might be rebuilding vehicles here soon, like they have been doing in Cuba for many decades now, as parts supplies get thinner and thinner.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-20-2021, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Inappropriatus

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFELLER View Post
Here's a REAL radiator!

Brass

Lifetime warranty (yes, they honor the warranty, keep the receipt, copy it if it's thermal) They may keep track a couple of years---then it's all on you to produce the proof.

https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...r-b58/6165_0_0

My whole Jeep is comprised of life warranties , I keep them in a binder, my oldest 1987 (alternator), I haven't had to buy many items! They do go up in price over time.....a life warranty sorta exempts you, unless you kick off!

I'll look up my pushrods when I get to my book in the morning.

----JEEPFELLER
Jeep Feller

This is great advice thank you

Inappropriatus
post #10 of 12 Old 08-20-2021, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Inappropriatus

1986 CJ7 

bob4703
the pandemic has made it hard to get parts!!!

Inappropriatus
post #11 of 12 Old 08-20-2021, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Inappropriatus

1986 CJ7 

bob4703
the pandemic has made it hard to get parts!!!
Everything is on some sort of backorder

Inappropriatus
post #12 of 12 Old 08-20-2021, 04:43 PM
CSP

Radiator shops are getting harder and harder to find. I know of one in the Denver metro and there used to be a dozen I was aware of.

One shop for an area of almost 3 million people, thanks EPA. It's still worth it to find one and have the old radiator repaired if they can. Sometimes the corrosion is too much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in