More MC 2150 questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-12-2020, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
southtx

1979 CJ5 

Garage
More MC 2150 questions

1979 CJ5, 4.2, Hei dist. I’m attempting to connect the vacuum hoses to the MC2150 as well as the EGR and canister. On the block below the manifold and behind the carb I have a two port CTO. (I think thats the CTO). On the block under the manifold and toward the front of the engine I have a 3 port TVS. (Again, I think its a TVS). I’m pretty confused about which need to be connected to the EGR etc. Some diagrams show 4 or 5 port TVS and no 2 port CTO. I read one post that said the CTO feeds the EGR and another post says to use a combination of ports from the TVS... The EGR isn’t in the photos but it will be installed in a bit. Also, the diagrams show to hook up the distributor advance to the small port on the carb in front of the electric choke. My 2150 doesnt have that port. The casting is plugged at that point on the carb. Where should i hook up the distributor? Gronk carb from ebay.

Any help is appreciated. Also, below is what I hooked up so far so please let me know if I have it right or need to change something:

1. Fuel pump connected to the filter to the carb and fuel tank return.

2. The carb bowl vent is connected to the charcoal canister.

3. I ordered a pcv valve from Napa and when I got it, it was the two port with the 1/4” and 3/8” t-fitting. I ran the 1/4” to the charcoal canister and the 3/8” to the lower pcv port on the carb. Will this work or will I need to get a single port pcv and tee it to the carb and on to canister?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-13-2020, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
southtx

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Dang, I have another question. I just pulled the new EGR out of the box and it looks different than the old rusty original that came off my engine. The old one has a small tube protruding out of it that fits into the intake. The new one is flush but has several washers. As per another post, I will check the i.d. of the old tube and find a washer that will fit? I’m think I’m going to try that now. I also have a pretty powdercoated egr blockoff plate but decided to go back with the egr based on several posts i read on this forum. Seems like a hot button issue. Everything on this engine is new or rebuilt and between the carb, vacuum hoses, rebuilt engine and now the new egr/washers, I’m worried my first startup is going to suck. I was hoping to fire it up tomorrow eve but not sure now. I’m all about the environment and keeping the air clean. But I do want to get this jeep going..
post #3 of 7 Old 07-13-2020, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
southtx

1979 CJ5 

Garage
I’ stumped. All the diagrams that I’ve found show the dist vac advance hooking up to the carb in front of and under the choke. My carb doesnt have that port. Where do i hook up the vac advance now? I blocked off the egr for mow as well because the new egr washers dont match the old one and I cant seem to figure it out. No egr for now but once i get it running I’ll just take it in and have one installed. And the Gronkster still isn’t responding to texts. What a punk.
Attached Images

post #4 of 7 Old 07-14-2020, 07:37 AM
cdt540
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtx View Post
Ií stumped. All the diagrams that Iíve found show the dist vac advance hooking up to the carb in front of and under the choke. My carb doesnt have that port. Where do i hook up the vac advance now? I blocked off the egr for mow as well because the new egr washers dont match the old one and I cant seem to figure it out. No egr for now but once i get it running Iíll just take it in and have one installed. And the Gronkster still isnít responding to texts. What a punk.

I installed the Gronk 2100 several years ago and have been generally pleased. For the dist vac advance it depends on whether you want manifold vac or ported vac. I run manifold vac so my dist is connected directly to the manifold and does not connect to the carb at all. If you want ported vac you will need to identify the port on the carb. My understanding is that the 2100/2150 has had many different configs over the years so the best way to identify the ported vac port is to hook up a vac gauge to the ports and test. If it is ported you will have little or no vac at idle and it will increase with rpms.

Chris
'83 CJ7 (258 5 spd)
Austin, TX
post #5 of 7 Old 07-14-2020, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
southtx

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdt540 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtx View Post
I’ stumped. All the diagrams that I’ve found show the dist vac advance hooking up to the carb in front of and under the choke. My carb doesnt have that port. Where do i hook up the vac advance now? I blocked off the egr for mow as well because the new egr washers dont match the old one and I cant seem to figure it out. No egr for now but once i get it running I’ll just take it in and have one installed. And the Gronkster still isn’t responding to texts. What a punk.

I installed the Gronk 2100 several years ago and have been generally pleased. For the dist vac advance it depends on whether you want manifold vac or ported vac. I run manifold vac so my dist is connected directly to the manifold and does not connect to the carb at all. If you want ported vac you will need to identify the port on the carb. My understanding is that the 2100/2150 has had many different configs over the years so the best way to identify the ported vac port is to hook up a vac gauge to the ports and test. If it is ported you will have little or no vac at idle and it will increase with rpms.
cdt540, thank you for the response. I hooked up the dist advance to a port on the top of the manifold behind the carb. I have no idea if this is ok and/or sufficient. The jeep actually started up and was running good for a few minutes for break-in but I shut it down because the temp gauge maxed out. I’ll be troubleshhoting that tomorrow. Do you think i’ll be ok with the dist advance hooked up here? It may be hard to see in the photo but its the fitting behind the carb on top of manifold with hose going back over valve cover.
Attached Images

post #6 of 7 Old 07-15-2020, 07:34 AM
cdt540
1983 CJ7 

Is it where I am pointing to with the blue arrow? If so, yes you are good to go there assuming you want manifold vac for the dist. That is what I run and I believe it is the preferred setup but there are plenty of people who prefer ported vac. Plenty of threads on that topic.
Attached Images

Chris
'83 CJ7 (258 5 spd)
Austin, TX
post #7 of 7 Old 07-15-2020, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
southtx

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdt540 View Post
Is it where I am pointing to with the blue arrow? If so, yes you are good to go there assuming you want manifold vac for the dist. That is what I run and I believe it is the preferred setup but there are plenty of people who prefer ported vac. Plenty of threads on that topic.
That is it. Thank you for the response cdt540! I feel better that its good to go there, at least for now. I’m still learning about how all the vacuum stuff works, and will dig more into the port vs manifold vacuum threads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in