MMGoat's 1985 CJ7 Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 188 Old 03-26-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

Does anyone have any experience rebuilding the bell coupler on the end of the shaft? Am I better off just buying the entire shaft?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 188 Old 03-26-2019, 08:14 PM
STJP
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMountainGoat View Post
Does anyone have any experience rebuilding the bell coupler on the end of the shaft? Am I better off just buying the entire shaft?
You "can" rebuild it. I tried to rebuild mine on a 1984 Chevy pick-up and the rubber parts I could find online did not fit the Chevy. You can get the rubber boot for the coupler at Quadratec so will probably fit your coupler. It's a ***** to put all back together correctly. My photos attached are just the beginning.

Here's a URL to pics of a rebuild.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-...00-shaft-03-hr

I eventually quit dicking around and bought an intermediate shaft from Borgeson. VERY stout. Fit like a charm. When I begin work on my 85 CJ's steering a Borgeson shaft will be installed. It ain't cheap but you won't be sorry.

JS
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190112_181730203.jpg   IMG_20190112_182607627.jpg  
post #33 of 188 Old 03-27-2019, 08:39 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Clean it up and check the fit of the small parts mounted on the "tee" at the end of the shaft. If they still fit tight on the shaft and fit the slots in the bell crank then you are good. Then check the splines that connect the bell crank for wear. You will need a new spring, seal, and boot to put it back back together.
Crown makes a rebuild kit or you can buy individual parts. The boot in the kit is typical Crown and will soon crack and come a part. Use some Rustoleum flex seal to protect the boot. The kit I ordered had the wrong bell crank for my box so I reused the old one. I ordered from Summit Racing and if it is in stock in Atlanta we get next day delivery without paying for premium delivery.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!

post #34 of 188 Old 03-28-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the help guys. A friend of mine put a borgenson shaft in his Jeep, and he is going to give me his old shaft. I will make due with it for now. I'm not sure why this one broke. Seemed fine when I was installing it, but then again...It is 35 years old.
post #35 of 188 Old 03-28-2019, 08:20 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Really, really nice build. Great attentive to detail. Years ago I had an ‘82 CJ-7 and loved it. I’m looking forward to following your build.

I’m a TJ guy these days, so I may be wrong. But I think those shackles are supposed to be mounted with the angle facing forward in the front. I always thought that the angle was to allow clearance to the frame on droop. Hopefully someone who actually knows what they are talking about will correct me.

Keep the updates coming. I’m enjoying seeing your progress. Nice project for you and your dad.

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 188 Old 03-28-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

I'm almost positive the shackles are mounted the correct way. The reason they are that way is so that in the event of a spring trying to invert, the middle bolt/shaft in the shackle will hit the frame and not allow it to fold all the way up. My front spring hangers were moved due to a YJ SOA lift, so the hangers made the shackles way too short. The factory shackle itself was actually running nearly parallel to the frame when the weight of the jeep was on it. These 1 3/8" lift boomerang shackles put the eyelet of the shackle where it would be if the hangers were in factory form.

I wouldn't have had any issues moving the hanger, if it had been moved correctly to start with. The PO welded them very solidly to the frame. Pretty much would have had to cut the front of the frame off and rebuild it to move them back, therefore, the boomerang shackles came in to play. I've still got to figure out my seat situation (recover, buy new, cheapo seat covers, etc.), and install my used steering shaft. and I should be good to go for a drive.
cjoffroad likes this.
post #37 of 188 Old 03-28-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

I have figured out one reason my steering shaft broke. Well two reasons actually.
1. It is 35 years old!!!!
2. My front spring hangers were moved to accommodate the YJ SOA setup. On a factory Jeep with no mods to the frame or spring hangers, the MORE steering mount requires a 1/4"spacer in between the frame and the plate on the rear most bolt hole. This is because the factory spring hanger is between the frame and the front two bolt holes. That factory hanger is 1/4".

My jeep does not have said hanger because my factory hangers were removed and replaced with YJ hangers moved forward to accommodate the SOA setup that was on the Jeep. Therefore, the MORE mount sits flat against the frame. I installed the 1/4" spacer in between the frame and the mount because the directions said to. This actually moved the input shaft of my steering gearbox to a fairly extreme angle than that of the stock position. The angle coupled with my worn out steering bell coupler is what caused it to break.

Solution: Remove 1/4" spacer, which will then rotate the input shaft of the steering gearbox upwards towards the steering wheel creating a more suitable angle for the shaft to attach. Picture below:
Attached Thumbnails
2019-03-28_13h42_03.jpg  
post #38 of 188 Old 03-31-2019, 06:18 PM
lovett86

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good

its a rusty one

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
post #39 of 188 Old 04-01-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

Fixee the steering box mount. Also got the sway bar and stabilizer installed yesterday. Still waiting on the bearing for my steering shaft, but it should be here tomorrow. Then the new shaft goes in and have to bleed the brakes, and I will be ready to test drive it.
Attached Thumbnails
20190330_163826_1554135311281.jpg   20190330_163829_1554135336734.jpg  
post #40 of 188 Old 04-02-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

Pulled the Jeep out and washed it today to get all the metal dust, and grime off of it from working on it over the past month. Pushed it back into the garage and started installing my steering shaft bearing (bearing up near the fire wall). That went smoothly. I then moved on to rebuilding the steering shaft with my new bell coupler. This was easy enough. Went to install the shaft, and that is where problems began.

Turns out that I apparently have the MORE mount that moves the steering gearbox forward 1 1/4". This causes the steering shaft to be too short in stock form. The guy I bought the mount from never had this issue because he has a "Borgenson" steering shaft. I drilled out the Nylon pins that keep the steering shaft from extending or contracting unless there is a crash. They drilled out easy, but I could not get the shaft to move. Rust was the problem. So now it is literally sitting in PB blaster so that it will extend an inch so that I can put it on.

I am still on track, but as with all Jeeps, there are some issues that keep rearing their ugly head.
post #41 of 188 Old 04-03-2019, 05:54 AM
STJP
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMountainGoat View Post
Pulled the Jeep out and washed it today to get all the metal dust, and grime off of it from working on it over the past month. Pushed it back into the garage and started installing my steering shaft bearing (bearing up near the fire wall). That went smoothly. I then moved on to rebuilding the steering shaft with my new bell coupler. This was easy enough. Went to install the shaft, and that is where problems began.

Turns out that I apparently have the MORE mount that moves the steering gearbox forward 1 1/4". This causes the steering shaft to be too short in stock form. The guy I bought the mount from never had this issue because he has a "Borgenson" steering shaft. I drilled out the Nylon pins that keep the steering shaft from extending or contracting unless there is a crash. They drilled out easy, but I could not get the shaft to move. Rust was the problem. So now it is literally sitting in PB blaster so that it will extend an inch so that I can put it on.

I am still on track, but as with all Jeeps, there are some issues that keep rearing their ugly head.
The steering shaft is an important piece concerning your safety. You are altering a 35 year-old shaft and coupler. There are places to save money and others where it may not be the best idea. Possibly time to consider a new and better shaft.

https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/produ...e=1&featured=Y

Good luck,

JS
post #42 of 188 Old 04-03-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

Brogenson shaft is on the short list (like next week) I just wanted to get something in there for now.

I DROVE IT TODAY...around the yard. Sat on a 5 gallon bucket and drove it around. It seems to really track well and isn't all over the place like it was. I think I have the axle aet up correctly. New brakes all work great and it stops on a dime.

Pulled apart the driver seat and started reworking it today as well. Should be able to get it together tomorrow and take it on a real test drive.
post #43 of 188 Old 04-03-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

Got a call from my father while I was at work. He has been at home working on the factory CJ seats that we had. In short wording, he said "get online and buy some seats". Spent a few minutes searching and came across where 4wheelparts is running a deal on the smittybilt high back buckets for 100 a piece with free shipping. Place my order, should be here later this week. I'm not a huge fan of smittybilt, but this jeep won't be wheeled much and won't need the best seats money can buy.

Dad said the old seat bases were fine, but after deconstructing the seats themselves he quickly realized that the frames and foam were completely shot. He also said they have some odd modifications done to them like they may have been redone already. Anyways, I am now scouring ebay to find a set of belts. I would like to find some of the YJ belts that stay sticking up between the console and the seat and then have the shoulder and lap belt (standard 3 point harness). Either way, it goes on its official test drive tommorow with one of the crappy seats in it, then we will put the new ones in when they come in.
post #44 of 188 Old 04-04-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

Threw the driver's seat in it this morning. Turns out that it is a good thing that I ordered seats last night, because the ones I have do not fit. The bases are for a CJ, but I am almost certain that the seat is out of something else. Anyways, I took for its first inaugural test drive. Pulled it out of the driveway slowly, and started driving. Went about 1/8th of a mile down the road slowly. Then turned around and drove it back like I normally would. I must have gotten the axle castor perfect, because at 40mph it tracks perfectly down the road. Turned around again and went a little further. Still drove great. Really mashed on it and dogged it a little bit on the way back still drove great. Let me say, when all 4 barrels of the carb open up, you are in for a ride. I don't remember my other CJ with an AMC360 being like that. It feels like a monster at WOT and drives fantastic all the way up to 55mph (didn't get any faster than that).

Dad also test drove. He loves it. We did discover that it has grounding issues, since the electric fuel pump stopped working right after the test drive. Wiring harness is next on the list.

Getting the 33s mounted tomorrow, then install the new seats hopefully this weekend (if they arrive). Then do the wiring and all that is left is cosmetics. Dad did cut and buff a place on the hood, and it looks like the paint will look great once it is all done.
Attached Thumbnails
Resized_20190404_101753.jpg   Resized_20190404_114826.jpg  
post #45 of 188 Old 04-04-2019, 05:02 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome. Iím sure it felt good to drive it - and to mash the loud pedal.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in