Methods & Means of body work and paint. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Methods & Means of body work and paint.

I have been wanting to write this for a while since I have seen numerous threads here on this subject matter. As the saying goes there are many different ways to skin a cat. The way I will discuss is one way to get very good professional results.

As a kid in the early 70s I worked in body shops acrylic lacquer and enamel were pretty much state of the art. Bondo was a miracle though I did work with a few guys that still used lead as body filler occasionally.

I moved on to construction in the mid 70s though I did dabble in painting Harley's in the 80 and early 90s.

I have an 85 CJ that I bought in CA and its was a piece of junk when I got it. The body was good but everything else shot, mickey moused or just messed up. I put a stoker in it and rebuilt or replaced the running gear stem to stern. Lets say I have a lot of money into it so when I moved back to Chicago last year I suddenly was reacquainted with the rust belt. That red paint job that would have lasted forever in LA didnt last a few month out here. So I decided to repaint it. I also wanted to change the color to a dark blue from red personally I prefer the sleeper look. So I checked around at having it professionally done and decided against it for two reasons, one I wanted a really good job which would have been prohibitive and I wanted to know it would last.

Lets face the facts here these CJs are getting old and as time goes on these will become rarer to find. Even finding quality aftermarket parts is getting harder. So I want to preserve my CJ and not have it rust out.

So I did some research into painting as the times have changed. The paints have changed dramatically, Base Coat with a Clear Coat is the norm, Bondo is no longer king and the new spray guns look like some science fiction abortion. As I found out the EPA was one of the driving forces in the paint formulation changes along with the manufactures wanting a better quality of paint. And its not done yet LA CA is pushing for water borne paints and it may have happened out there already.

So I will be sharing what I have learned along with posting pictures. I will try to break this up into body work and then painting. For all practical purposes they are two different subjects. The prep is work! and painting is fun, but the prep makes the job.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 09:50 AM
SonicR1

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to this!!!

Oh, and as of this moment, Ca doesn't require water borne paint yet, although we can't get half the paint that is offered for sale in this country......... Yay California!!!!

... I guess I'm gonna have to fix that too…….

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Kevos97TJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

"when in doubt... throttle out!"

1997 TJ, Citron Pearlcoat, AX-15, 4.0, D30/D35 open, 4.56s, 33 inch BFG T/A KOs on AEVs
2012 Patriot Sport 4X4 5speed - the new DD
my blog -

post #4 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Eaglekeeper

1986 CJ7 

As I'm right in the middle of body work, looking forward to posts, pics and tips, especially on the paint prep.

86 CJ7, 258 Engine, T-177, Dana 300.

A ton more pics here.

post #5 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 10:41 AM
bigjoe

1977 CJ7 

Looking forward to your work. Goodluck.

Seems like everyday is a Monday.

77' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
post #6 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Well if your serious about doing body work first you will need to find a local automotive paint store. Trying to do this with supplies from NAPA or Pep Boys body work "dept" stuff is expensive and doesnt work nearly as well as the pro stuff.

There are on line suppliers such as the Autobody Store, TP Tools and Ketone Automotive that you can get some supplies sent to you. But stuff like paint, lacquer thinner for clean up and such you will have to get from a local supplier since they arent allowed to ship. Eastwood is a source their paint is relabled Kirker brand plus they sell a lot of over priced gimmicy stuff.

I think we should talk about what type of paint job you want to achieve. There are basicly two different types of paint out there now days. The most common is BC/CC or base coat clear coat and single stage paint.

The BC/CC route while giving a really nice durable paint job is probably a bit over kill on a Jeep in terms of cost, hours of work and difficulty or repair.

There are some rally good single stage paints out there that are durable but we will get into that a bit later on. Though the thing to remember is dont mix and mach paint products, If you select PPG paint then get their hardener and reducer. A lot of problems are caused by mixing product lines so what ever paint you decide on stick with that line.

If you look at the picture of my Jeep you will see the oxidation of the red paint which was a cheap paint job so I decided to strip all the paint off and start over. Also if you look at the running gear you will see how well Rustolium lasted after one season. Which by the way was done per instruction.

What do you guys want to cover stripping paint? patch panels? primers?
Attached Thumbnails
red menace.jpg  
post #7 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 12:59 PM
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Getting in on this early!

I would start with metal work and patch panels and work up from there. because thats the way body work goes!

Question #1. For body repair what gauge do you recommend (this is CJ specific)?

I read for floors use 18 and bodys use 20-22ga? Is this along what you would do? Im going to slowly start acumulating the supplies/metal to work on this new tub.

thanks!

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg79CJ7304 View Post
Great minds think alike, but so do serial killers......Thanks.
post #8 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 01:01 PM
BioTex

1979 CJ7 

You can't cover too much, so by all means include what you want. I for one am "all ears". I'm in the middle of a BC/CC paint job on my Willys. getting ready to start a single stage job on my Scout. Learning as I go of course.

Currently:
79 CJ7 "CJ Express" 4.2L, NV4500, D44 rear
69 800 with SBC, SM465, NP205, 14BT
post #9 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 01:34 PM
twoleos617

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Im extremely interested in patch panels but even more so with paint stripping. would you use, sanders, wire wheels, flap disks.... where and why?

many of us have rust issues with the current paint job. obviously, those areas would have to be taken down to bare metal; but would the rest of the rig need that too and why?

Crawled!
post #10 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 01:35 PM
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
Im extremely interested in patch panels but even more so with paint stripping. would you use, sanders, wire wheels, flap disks.... where and why?

many of us have rust issues with the current paint job. obviously, those areas would have to be taken down to bare metal; but would the rest of the rig need that too and why?

Crawled!

agreed! Start here, please

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg79CJ7304 View Post
Great minds think alike, but so do serial killers......Thanks.
post #11 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 PM
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

My 85 has been sitting for a year waiting on this thread. Very interested, lots of detail please, first timer......

Thanks
post #12 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Shiftace
1977 CJ5 

Subscribed
post #13 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I was about to look you up and send a pm asking when you were going to do this. I''m looking forward to some great info.!! Sunscribed.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

Mistakes were made, stuff Happens !!
post #14 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 02:50 PM
jbanyas

1984 CJ7 

Nice. I look forward to this.

"Not all who wander are lost"
post #15 of 119 Old 11-30-2010, 05:24 PM
tlannom
1986 CJ7 

Subscribed. Wish you were closer. I would lend you a hand just to learn. Thanks for posting.

'86 CJ7 Laredo, LS1 Corvette engine, AX15 transmission, Dana 300 4:1 twin-sticked, RE 4 1/2" lift, YJ cage, Bzerk front/ rear bumpers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in